Reformist Masoud Pezeshkian set to be next president of Iran after 2nd round of votes

Communion

Exciting but also kinda not because the US and the west in general have a way of turning moderate or reformist candidates into enemies real quick. They won't embrace him even if he tries to make Iran secular or more democratic or whatever. The west is dead set on certain enemies no matter what. 

• Like 8

I'm surprised that he won given that there is another boycott of the election from anti government factions (which appears to be successful given the woeful turnout). But a good result

Oh wow, that's pretty cool. Hoping this is good for Iran :clap3: 

This is very surprising as most people didn't even expect a runoff to happen. :eek: Hopefully he can make some good changes in Iran.

That's weirdly good news, for once.  

Is Iran not essentially a dictatorship under its supreme leader? I fail to see how this will bring any meaningful change. 

13 hours ago, Archetype said:

That's weirdly good news, for once.  

13 hours ago, beautiful player said:

Is Iran not essentially a dictatorship under its supreme leader? I fail to see how this will bring any meaningful change. 

what im thinking

i keep seeing how this is a good thing, but how? what exactly are his policies or beliefs? does he at least think women should have free autonomy? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, beautiful player said:

3 hours ago, SmittenCake said:

what im thinking

i keep seeing how this is a good thing, but how? what exactly are his policies or beliefs? does he at least think women should have free autonomy? 

Isn't the entire ethos of Western liberal politics that incremental change is more important than hoping for wide-sweeping (color) revolution?

I am of course only reading 2nd-hand sources, so any user actually posting *from* and living *in* Iran would be most appreciated to share their actual view point and thoughts (one of you is trolling from the Netherlands and not worth the engagement but I'm not sure if I remember where you're posting from so I am engaging in good faith and don't mean to speak overyou  if you're from Iran, sis :heart2: @SmittenCake) vs what I can find from leftist Iranians or leftist diaspora on Twitter, but I'm not sure what other takeaway there is if progressives, liberals, secularists, etc. seem happy he won and that it was largely conservatives who ended up protesting / not participating in the 2nd round.

Are the realities of Iran meant to be defined by a cartoonish framing that only sees progress through a demand for dismantling the Islamic Republic in itself and not through calls by voters for political and economic reforms that improve the quality of living, decrease unemployment, increase job opportunities, etc.?

Edited by Communion
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2024 at 4:53 AM, IBeMe said:

Exciting but also kinda not because the US and the west in general have a way of turning moderate or reformist candidates into enemies real quick. They won't embrace him even if he tries to make Iran secular or more democratic or whatever. The west is dead set on certain enemies no matter what. 

He's a puppet president pre-approved by the supreme leader. He holds no real power and can't do any of the things you listed. 

Iran will keep on being a sh*thole country that doesn't respect human rights and the West or the US has nothing to do with that.

And I expect the West not to embrace him considering he's not really moderate and his first act as president is literally pledging support to terrorists

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

He's presented his cabinet.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has nominated a moderate diplomat as foreign minister and a female official as urban development minister as he presented his new cabinet.

Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf announced on Sunday the names of the 19-member cabinet presented by the president during an assembly session broadcast live on state television.

For foreign minister, Pezeshkian picked Abbas Araghchi, a 61-year-old career diplomat. Araghchi, who has extolled open, yet critical, talks with the West, served as the chief negotiator in nuclear talks between Tehran and world powers from 2013 to 2021.

He also served as Iran's ambassador to Japan and Finland, and as a deputy of then-Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, who was instrumental in reaching the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.

Farzaneh Sadegh was nominated as roads and urban development minister. If confirmed, the 48-year-old would become only the second Iranian woman to hold a ministerial post since the Islamic Republic was established in 1979, after Marzieh Vahid Dastjerdi became health minister in 2009

Al Jazeera

Let's hope this will lead to some change. :celestial5:

One female cabinet member, as minister of urban development? Groundbreaking and progressive 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.