Here's The Problem With Swifties (and all fanbases)

PoisonedIvy

The problem starts with stanning itself. It's abnormal and unhealthy behaviour. People get attached to their favourite artists too much and start perceiving any negative commentary about their faves as an attack on themselves. If you describe yourself as anyone's "stan" you should seriously rethink a lot of your life choices. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoisonedIvy

• Dear Reader

• Kern

• RideOrDie

Top Posters In This Topic

The many problems with swifties:

• They are bandwagon success stans

• They stan numbers, charts, critics, not the music. In their defense the music is a weak point. 

• They take her achievements as their own as if they were making a single penny from those billions she generates/exploits from them

• They believe their own hype and refuse to accept she's not the end game, untouchable nor absolutely not the biggest thing ever

• They're toxically defensive and insecure and most of them are trumpsters and toxic Christians

• They can't accept her lack of impact 

• They don't know most of the songs

26aa27e5f9783cb6b0b6b9ccfda64c4188bc6c52

Again, in their defense they have to fight for their lives to justify the ridiculous amounts of money they spend on something with absolutely nothing redeemable in return 

Disclaimer: this of course does not apply to all swifties. Some actually love and enjoy her work and have been there from the start 

5 hours ago, PoisonedIvy said:

stop wasting so much of your time criticizing the things you don't enjoy. It's natural to not like certain things, to disagree with others. It's not natural to make that your entire  personality. There's no reason you should be defined more by something you dislike as opposed to something you are interested in.  

This part should be bolded, underlined, italicised, enlarged, signatured, bannered, in red (taylor's version).

LgX7pn9.jpg

• Like 1

it's not the same thing because "haters" are criticizing a celebrity none of us know while swifties will come at your dead grandma or your shitty job. They seem to think Taylor's achievements are their own, while they live their miserable little lives. Babe, stanning the biggest artist in the world is not an achievement, you are just one in million. Literally the bigger the artist the easier is to stan them.

• Like 1

The solution is simple: stop wasting so much of your time criticizing the things you don't enjoy.

This is why I barely bother to engage with people who are complaining about her or her release tactics or her fans literally ever anymore. Like, I will not spend my energy on someone who isn't going to be swayed rather than spending it enjoying work from my favorite artist. It's just too exhausting and I'm - well, honestly, a lot of us are on this site - too ******* old for this.

• Like 1

The solution is simple: stop wasting so much of your time criticizing the things you don't enjoy.

this thread is a perfect illustration of that, as well as 

and many other positive threads related to any artists

this is also the reason why i stopped really arguing with these people because they are unhinged and insufferable (see the 2 users above complaining about swifties and criticising people they dont like AGAIN)

they always say swifties have parasocial relationship with taylor, little did they know they even have a more profound parasocial relationship with her, and its a negative which is worse

Edited by hungrymuffin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hurem said:

My take on this issue is that I believe Swifties stan Taylor because of her success, not because of her music. That's why they get so extremely defensive over any kind of criticism and start throwing out stats and shading other pop stars.

Sure, all fan bases defend their faves, but Taylor is the biggest star at the moment. The fact that Swifties are still so insecure says a lot.

No fanbase enjoys their faves music more than swifties. The numbers are simply a reflection of that. Logging on ATRL to talk about how amazing your fave's music is means nothing if you never actually play it :khalyan:

2 hours ago, Gaia said:

If Taylor Swift did not have her stats she wouldn't have half the stanbase she does on ATRL. 

Theres a reason why her streaming tracking thread has over 100 pages.

Ignoring the fact that the majority of those 100+ pages are just one (1) single user updating her daily streams, Rihanna's streaming tracking thread has 86 pages too, and that with her not dropping an album in 8 years. Does that mean the (mostly absent) Navy is obsessed with Rihanna's streams too? :rip:

2 hours ago, Gaia said:

There's a reason her releasing constant variants is celebrated for "making haters mad." 

No one is celebrating the variants. When she does announce them, Swifties don't even bother saying anything cause it's really not that serious for her to release variants. It's people like you who are losing their minds whenever she does it. :rip:

2 hours ago, Gaia said:

There's a reason why her Stan's continue to push this "she has the most streamed album of the week!" In every BB200 thread ignoring her album has 31 songs. 

Billboard itself is pushing the "most streamed album of the week!!" narrative because it's true. It's not something stans made up with the official chart company itself is saying it. :rip: If you have any problem with that, I'd advice you to direct your anger towards Billboard. :laugh:

2 hours ago, Gaia said:

There's a reason why her fans are ok with the fact that she strategically holds shipments of variants until she needs them to stay #1.

You guys (as a whole) care ENTIRELY too much about her success, her being #1, her being "the music industry", etc. Hell you guys were stanning a concert movie because it did numbers in theaters. It's absurd the extent you guys Stan her success then say you don't care.

People stanned the concert movie loooong before any numbers even came it, because it was an opportunity for any fan in the world to experience a professional shot and edited version of the concert all fans had been following through grainy livestreams all year long. People dressed up and made it an event to go and see it. Its box score numbers weren't top of mind for anyone. :laugh: 

2 hours ago, Gaia said:

Like this album has been panned and dragged left and right but instead of seeing genuine opinions in this forum all non-fans see if Swifties spamming her weeks at #1 and selling 4M in a 2 months or however much she sold. It's all you talk about as a fanbase :rip: 

Panned and dragged left and right by whom? :rip: See this is why stuff like charts and streams are brought up cause y'all are living in such delusional bubbles where you accept your own individual opinions and those of two dozen critics as facts that are applicable to the entire population. You may not have liked the album, but that's not the case in real life where it's one of her best performing albums ever. :rip:

Maybe if you all didn't try to pass off your own feelings about the album as if everyone else felt the same, there wouldn't be a need to disprove those false generalizations about the album's public reception with factual numbers proving what the public reception truly is like. :rip:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gaia said:

Like this album has been panned and dragged left and right but instead of seeing genuine opinions in this forum all non-fans see if Swifties spamming her weeks at #1 and selling 4M in a 2 months or however much she sold. It's all you talk about as a fanbase :rip: 

This full lie, the majority of her base, album thread, and tour thread is about the music and theories behind it :rip:

What makes it funnier is you stay posted up in threads about her numbers for YEARS, acting a fool since Adele's 30 release and beyond :suburban:

Just now, Headlock said:

This full lie, the majority of her base, album thread, and tour thread is about the music and theories behind it :rip:

What makes it funnier is you stay posted up in threads about her numbers for YEARS, acting a fool since Adele's 30 release and beyond :suburban:

Saying Swifties talk about charts too much, meanwhile this is them publically proclaiming years in advance that they're desperately waiting for her to have commercial misstep to lash out at her & Swifties:

On 11/25/2021 at 2:50 PM, Gaia said:

I honestly can't wait for her next release. If it opens with 600-800k with her plethora of versions then I can't wait to bump all these Swifties. Because it will SURELY be embarrassing if Taylor can't significantly outsell her own re-recording with her next studio album.

The lack of self-awareness is insane…:suburban:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hungrymuffin said:

this thread is a perfect illustration of that, as well as 

and many other positive threads related to any artists

this is also the reason why i stopped really arguing with these people because they are unhinged and insufferable (see the 2 users above complaining about swifties and criticising people they dont like AGAIN)

they always say swifties have parasocial relationship with taylor, little did they know they even have a more profound parasocial relationship with her, and its a negative which is worse

are you talking about my thread as criticising taylor? that was sarcasm sis

6 hours ago, Hurem said:

My take on this issue is that I believe Swifties stan Taylor because of her success, not because of her music. That's why they get so extremely defensive over any kind of criticism and start throwing out stats and shading other pop stars.

Sure, all fan bases defend their faves, but Taylor is the biggest star at the moment. The fact that Swifties are still so insecure says a lot.

Nah, I've stanned her since her first album because of her music, work ethic and charming personality that was so rare to see in the industry at that time. She found great success at the beginning of her career because of these things, an anomaly. People loved these things about her and still do, not because her singles were doing well. The ginormous success that came later has just been an added bonus for me. 

I do think the Era's tour has brought a lot of new people on the bandwagon, but many of the devoted ATRL'ers that defend her constantly have been with her since the beginning. 

7 hours ago, PoisonedIvy said:

because we attract the most attention on this site, thereby inviting the most discussion

because you start ****.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, family.guy123 said:

Ok? Start with yourself. Don't criticize others until your house is clean 

My house is spotless :lakitu: Not a single post of mine on this site attacks, belittles, demeans, or criticizes other artists. I can "defend" Taylor from criticism without retaliating against another artist. 

6 hours ago, jesus del rey said:

Sis maybe you should take your own advice and stop making these threads as if they are think-piece articles with your pretentious "disclaimer" :deadvision: 

My own advice is what I live by. I do not contribute to the cycle of toxicity on this site. I initiate nuanced and thought provoking discussions instead of resorting to the low hanging fruit of stan wars. 

In their defense, Swifties may also attack the interests of the non-fan, giving the impression that they are aggressive. This behavior can lead non-fans to perceive the fanbase as antagonistic, even though the Swifties are primarily reacting defensively.

This is a very good attempt at making the "You started it!" argument sound mature. 

(just kidding, it isn't) 

On 7/4/2024 at 5:34 PM, RideOrDie said:

are you talking about my thread as criticising taylor? that was sarcasm sis

no sis your thread is positive yet crickets

i was trying to prove atrl only feed on negativity 

On 7/4/2024 at 9:27 AM, NEX said:

The problem starts with stanning itself. It's abnormal and unhealthy behaviour. People get attached to their favourite artists too much and start perceiving any negative commentary about their faves as an attack on themselves. If you describe yourself as anyone's "stan" you should seriously rethink a lot of your life choices. 

I was calling myself a stan of several people until a few years ago when I realized this.

idk them, they dk me. lol. I stream, buy merch/physicals and tour tickets and keep it moving.

To OPs point tho... it depends on what the defensiveness is for. If somebody keeps spreading a lie not related to the artists art (political stances etc,.) that should be nipped immediately. The music itself is open to interpretation so that should be whatever. 

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.