ATRL... Do You Consider Doja Cat A Rapper?

Garbaj

Do You Consider Doja Cat A Rapper?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Consider Doja Cat A Rapper?

• Well... Yes!
    • Erm... No!
    • Well...Kinda!

2 hours ago, 50thStateofMind said:

how can she be anything other than a rapper? She raps WAY more than she sings, is better than the majority of female rappers out there, etc.

also, we have TONS of singers who occasionally rap and we donʻt call them rappers.

Not true at all. She's rapping more on her latest album, but on most of her hits she raps one verse (usually the second one) and sings the rest of the song. Even Kesha raps more, b/c usually raps both of her verses.  

• Like 1

ofcourse

I think the real question is less "is Doja a rapper" and more "is Doja Hip-Hop," since hip-hop refers to the broader culture/community around rap.

Doja is obviously a rapper, but she neither seems to crave status within hip-hop, nor has she been offered it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I say yes

yes Doja Cat is a rapper, as well as being a singer, writer, dancer and producer. Whether you agree or not is a personal opinion and not factual, the only difference between most female rappers and Doja Cat is that she purposefully avoided big Hip-Hop goalposts like the BET awards, freestyles, Cyphers, certain radio shows (Breakfast Club) etc. in favour of securing a pop audience, which were way more accepting of an artist of her (superstar) stature compared to the girlies who cannot hold a note or hit an 8 count to save their lives.

Doja had instant crossover potential so she didn't bother building a rap audience like that, which in turn made her skip the female rap prison but also skipped the cultural foundation of being apart of the female rap conversation, which can be seen as controversial to a lot of rap stans. Doja has been rapping since she was on her stoner R&B wave 10 years ago, versatility worked out in her favour.  :bird: 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, A Million Lights said:

LOL

if you consider Joja Cat a rapper, Kesha and Fergie should be too

Have Kesha and Fergie appeared as feature rapper on other people songs like Doja?  Or gotten rap Grammy noms? 

I ask this because that's an indication of how peers see them.  I'm afraid most peers viewed Kesha and Fergie as singers instead of rappers.  :celestial5:

2 hours ago, Alex said:

yes Doja Cat is a rapper, as well as being a singer, writer, dancer and producer. Whether you agree or not is a personal opinion and not factual, the only difference between most female rappers and Doja Cat is that she purposefully avoided big Hip-Hop goalposts like the BET awards, freestyles, Cyphers, certain radio shows (Breakfast Club) etc. in favour of securing a pop audience, which were way more accepting of an artist of her (superstar) stature compared to the girlies who cannot hold a note or hit an 8 count to save their lives.

Doja had instant crossover potential so she didn't bother building a rap audience like that, which in turn made her skip the female rap prison but also skipped the cultural foundation of being apart of the female rap conversation, which can be seen as controversial to a lot of rap stans. Doja has been rapping since she was on her stoner R&B wave 10 years ago, versatility worked out in her favour.  :bird: 

And this is why people are mad.  She didn't have to pander in order to make it.  And people are pissed b/c they didn't have the chance to gatekeep her career.  :laugh:

Going Pop was the best thing she ever did, even with it being unintentional.  

• Thanks 1

No, she's famous for her pop songs. 

12 hours ago, GypsyLAMB said:

It's incredibly weird to resort to calling someone a homophobic slur because they disagree about what qualifies someone as a rapper. Very strange indeed.

Womp womp

• Thumbs Down 2

She's a rapper. Is she hip-hop? That's another question.

On 7/4/2024 at 8:08 AM, professor2000 said:

Have Kesha and Fergie appeared as feature rapper on other people songs like Doja?  Or gotten rap Grammy noms? 

I ask this because that's an indication of how peers see them.  I'm afraid most peers viewed Kesha and Fergie as singers instead of rappers.  :celestial5:

Funny enough, Fergie has WON Grammys with her RAP feature on All of the Lights where she references about her past drug, money and mental issues during the lowest point of her life:

"Unemployment line, credit card declined, did I mention that I was about to loose my mind… and also was about to do that line…"

She's featured mainly rapping in Party People by Nelly or Netflix by 2 chainz.

However she herself has never claimed to be a rapper but a singer who raps. She has mad respect for the genre and it's probably one of the reasons why she's never seen as problematic or culture appropriating. She grew up in East LA and has been in a band that was rooted in hip hop so everything is very organic for her.

I would argue Doja was more of a pop star who raps at some point but now I would consider her a rapper too. I wouldn't consider Fergie a rapper as she doesn't label herself that way.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Nycloveit said:

Funny enough, Fergie has WON Grammys with her RAP feature on All of the Lights where she references about her past drug, money and mental issues during the lowest point of her life:

"Unemployment line, credit card declined, did I mention that I was about to loose my mind… and also was about to do that line…"

She's featured mainly rapping in Party People by Nelly or Netflix by 2 chainz.

However she herself has never claimed to be a rapper but a singer who raps. She has mad respect for the genre and it's probably one of the reasons why she's never seen as problematic or culture appropriating. She grew up in East LA and has been in a band that was rooted in hip hop so everything is very organic for her.

I would argue Doja was more of a pop star who raps at some point but now I would consider her a rapper too. I wouldn't consider Fergie a rapper as she doesn't label herself that way.

Re: AOTL…I consider that more talk-singing than anything.  But I'll humor you… :skull: 

Any other examples of rap features besides those two? Or is that it? Because I can pull out at least 10 for Doja.  That in itself proves my point.  :rip:

Fergie was not some in-demand rap feature, not as much as Doja has been.  And let's not even get on the ratio of singing-to-rapping on their individual solo projects.  Because Doja definitely does more rapping than Fergie line for line…

Yes and a good one while we're at it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.