President of Cameroon's daughter comes out as LGBTQ+

Gwendolyn

84880530-3948-11ef-bdc5-41d7421c2adf.png

The daughter of Cameroon's president has shared an image in which she is kissing another woman, sparking mixed reactions in a country where same-sex relationships are illegal.

The Instagram post shows 26-year-old Brenda Biya embracing Brazillian model Layyons Valença.

"I'm crazy about you & I want the world to know," Ms Biya wrote, adding a love heart emoji.

Her 91-year-old father, Paul Biya, became Cameroon's president in 1982 and is one of Africa's longest-ruling leaders.

Those engaging in same-sex acts or relationships in the Central African nation face up to five years in jail.

Ms Biya - a musician who goes by the name King Nasty - did not explicity state her sexuality when posting the picture of the kiss.

However, some time after the image was published, Ms Biya shared an article from Le Monde, in which the French newspaper reported that she had "come out".

"Oh what a news, love wins," Ms Biya wrote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cj7dnm3elkdo

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Gwendolyn said:

Her 91-year-old father, Paul Biya, became Cameroon's president in 1982 and is one of Africa's longest-ruling leaders.

So he had her at 65 :biblio:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Bebe Zahara Benet needs to protect her :clap3:

:deadbanana2:

hope she stays safe and there's a possible change of mind among the homophobic family members/leaders

• Like 8

Wow what a queen :clap3:

i hope she's not living there currently so nothing happens to her. Maybe this will also inspire a movement within the country towards more progressive values 

I hope she stays safe 

Slay OMG

Lg3Ar1O.gif

• Like 1

Queen needs to stay away from her own country for her own safety

5 hours ago, Arrows said:

She's really brave for this.

She is. I hope she is okay! IDK what's going on in Cameroon but I'm guessing a lot of people there aren't obsessed with the eligibility community? :dancehall2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.