My therapist told me straight men don't have gay friends because they're homophobic

PillowCase

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PillowCase

• Julianna Calm Down

• Dear Reader

• curiousladybug

Therapists are not really entitled to tell their opinion. Not really judging on their work, 'cause it may be a very helpful therapist for you, but it feels this holds some truth but at the same it is a generalization. 

18 minutes ago, Princess Aurora said:

She made some points but it depends. Also, the subtle shade at I'm pretty sure he already knows:deadbanana2:

It's my damn lisp:monkey:

• Haha 1

Time to change therapists chile, perhaps to someone that has actually gone to school. 

nene leakes whatever GIF by I Dream of NeNe: The Wedding

• Like 1

That and they are insecure with their sexuality.  

The funny thing is, in my anecdotal experience, women find the straight guys with gay friends much more attractive.  

I've had lots of straight male friends who did not give a single f*ck that I'm gay. They weren't afraid of hanging out with me or being around me at all. We'd literally go to clubs together, hang out and do regular things friends do... so I feel like that comment is straight phobic.

• Like 1

That's the case for many straight men. But not all of them are homophobic. But it's true there is still judgement and shame around that. 

But to say all straight men are homophobic , that's a big generalization right there. 

You're both gay, so what does this have to do with straight men?

spacer.png

• Haha 2

It depends on where you live… I would generally disagree with your therapist but I know it's true in certain parts of the country /world.

• Thanks 1

I mean sure, there are straight men that wouldn't want a gay friend because of that but I have many straight friends that love the gays and that I have really good relationships with that are purely platonic. Allies exist 

3 hours ago, RideOrDie said:

this is a huge generalization and specific to certain cultures/places

i have many straight male friends, but that could be because i'm a masc4masc hairy thick dom top 

and my DMs are open

FYQRlX2.gif

straights? who needs them?

• Haha 1

Some days i wish i had never come out, i woulda been a closeted Selena Gomez stan and masc4masc. :dies:
If i didn't come out at 15 my fashion sense woulda probably gotten way more guys, i woulda gone to the gym every day, i woulda written really seductive singer/songwriter pop and the girls would go crazy. And people would ask me in interviews, cuz i woulda had 5 top 10 hits by now, if i was gay and i would say "i love the gays, but i don't like labels"

I then would have entered a relationship with an up and coming pop girl and go out with her to get photographed every single week, and we would eventually break up after becoming the hit hollywood couple. 

Edited by selena_lavigne

she's kinda right.

Sadly a case of therapist needing therapy to better themselves and their therapy skills and uncover some unconscious biases. 

Drunk Real Housewives GIF

What a weird thing for a therapist to say. Straight people can be homophobic but not all straight men are homophobic to a degree. Not even most

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.