My therapist told me straight men don't have gay friends because they're homophobic

PillowCase

I told my therapist that I have a gay male coworker who I've exchanged numbers with and with whom I am becoming friends with, and I haven't told him that I am gay yet. She told me, "I'm pretty sure he already knows. Most straight men don't have gay male friends because they are homophobic to a degree. They don't want other people thinking they're attracted to men for being around a gay male."

Would you guys agree with my therapist' statement?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PillowCase

• Julianna Calm Down

• Dear Reader

• curiousladybug

yup. sounds about right. obviously generalizing is always going to be problematic but... yeah

• Like 5

is ur therapist gay? weird statement if he's not. 

it is 70% applicable tho. but 70% is not 100%. 

Which is a lie methinks.

I have many straight friends.

Perhaps because I am straight acting in real life :suburban:

Edited by Donquizote
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, Selegend said:

is ur therapist gay? weird statement if he's not. 

it is 70% applicable tho. but 70% is not 100%. 

She is a 40 year old straight woman with a paintball collection.

• Haha 13

1 minute ago, PillowCase said:

She is a 40 year old straight woman with a paintball collection.

oh, okay. 

It depends on the person. Generalizations make no sense.

About your specific case, I know people that don't care when you come out but others will cut all contact. 

I think if you wait too long to tell him he may feel betrayed so if I were you I would tell him asap

Edited by Digitalism
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Reginald said:

Most of my male friends are straight :michael: Now what, Miss Therapist? 

IMG-9211-thumb-jpeg-64011135e44369b03975

Because you happened to stumble upon people who are not homophobic which is minority in that specific group 

There are some straight guys who have gay friends and don't care about whether they're perceived or not. They're in the minority though. 

• Like 3

i feel like holding onto this view is damaging and not beneficial in any way. idk why a therapist would say something like this to a client

Ummm that sounds like a weird generalization. I've had straight friends but there is truth to the fact that if you're openly gay or visibly gay like me not every guy will want to be associated with you.

There is a lot to consider there though, I think younger guys are more likely to be insecure about that kind of thing and more likely to be homophobic. Some straight guys would never be friends with you until you befriend someone in their friend group and then you're basically besties

She made some points but it depends. Also, the subtle shade at I'm pretty sure he already knows:deadbanana2:

• Haha 4

this is a huge generalization and specific to certain cultures/places

i have many straight male friends, but that could be because i'm a masc4masc hairy thick dom top 

FYQRlX2.gif

• Haha 2

this is a huge generalization and specific to certain cultures/places

i have many straight male friends, but that could be because i'm a masc4masc hairy thick sub bottom 

spacer.png

• Haha 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.