Unpopular Opinion: Glory is Britney's worst album

Josh

Just now, dirrtydiana said:

It's incorrect. Text doesn't have tone, that's what the marks are for lol

I'll give you examples?

this confuses people? when the read? And your point fails to come across?

not everything is a question?

OT: No. Glory is one of her best.

Once again, its a tone indicator. Text absolutely does have tone. A writer will very often include indications in their writing as to how something is meant to be read. Placing a question mark at the end of a statement is one of them. 

It is a written form of high rising intonation (also called upspeak). I will concede it isn't considered standard, but it has occurred enough in literature and informal writing (which this is) that it's been given a name and its purpose (to imply a specific tone or imply an actual companion question in the form of a declaration) has been decided upon. 

This was all covered in my college English classes because you encounter it a good deal in modern writing. If you weren't taught it, fine, but it's a feature of modern writing, especially in informal settings, whether it irritates you or not. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Josh

• dirrtydiana

• WhateverYouWant

• Mr. Mendes

6 hours ago, Mr. Mendes said:

I will concede it isn't considered standard

Bingo.

Maybe we'll see it in literature in the future but as of now it isn't in most (if any) of the books that I've read. It irritating me or not is irrelevant and they should come up with a new mark for it though I digress because that way of speaking is a fad and borderline rude.

I'm so glad Britney did not have in her book where she raves about Glory, one of her best albums!

Edited by dirrtydiana

Ngl I was really obsessed when it came out and I couldn't see the negatives. A few months after that though, it became obvious Justin Tranter and Julia Michaels weren't a match for her and it felt a bit degrading the way she tried to make something similar to Selena Gomez or Ariana Grande or Justin Bieber. One of Britney's worst and best traits is that she's unaware of how iconic and influential she is and Glory is a product of that.

Still, it was a step into the right direction after very overprocessed albums like Britney Jean or Femme Fatale and the songs people are naming "the worst of all time" here aren't even half that bad to begin with :bird:

Glory was very trend chasing but unmistakably Britney.  It's amongst her best work. 

She sounds engaged throughout and on "Private Show" sounds like she's having fun being a Louisiana showgirl.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's not an unpopular opinion looking how bad its fault streams are and how it failed to chart for ten weeks. However, I still think BJ is worse. I think Glory becomes a slog in its second half. It should've been 8-10 tracks

Obviously BJ is worse though I think OP is trying to say it's Britney's worst, aside from that, albeit untactfully.

It's definitely in Brit's lower tier but still low key flawless. I would almost say Circus is her second worst album. Womanizer, Kill The Lights, Out from Under, that Baby song... not my fave tracks. Not bad by a long shot, but she has better songs. Britney, ITZ, FF all stomp

I think Glory is better than Blackout

It kinda reminds me of a Meghan Trainor, Janet Jackson, katy Perry, and Rihanna album combined 

Edited by Nippy'sReceipts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.