Female Jazz Legends Billie & Nina: Who is your preference and why?

Taylor fanboy

🎺🎷  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Two Legends. One poll:

• Billie Holiday
    • Nina Simone

Curious to know which between the two beloved Queens ATRL prefer to in terms of their vocals and music.

Please share your favorite songs by them, and songs you think they have influenced.

Billie Holiday is the mother of all. Love her Colombia stuff but the cream for me is the decca and Verve recordings, they are sublime. Nina is great also love the way she incorporated classical music into her jazz and she herself played tribute to Billie. Both artists of their time who made political statements and stood for what they believed. These are true ARTISTS. 

• Like 3

voted Billie BUT, ive always been an Eartha stan! not all of my favs are on streaming (#JusticeForEarthasDiscography !)

heres a (long but shortlisted) list of SOME of my favs)

• Like 1

@Vixen Eyes I will give Ms. Eartha a listen sometime tonight. I do like her version of love for sale and my heart belongs to daddy. But why leave out Santa baby 😫😫😫 the iconicness 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toxicLambBot said:

@Vixen Eyes I will give Ms. Eartha a listen sometime tonight. I do like her version of love for sale and my heart belongs to daddy. But why leave out Santa baby 😫😫😫 the iconicness 

i figured everyone already knew it so i didnt include it!

plus i did say i shortlisted my favs already and i didnt include ANY of the New Faces of 1952 songs :sob:

Monotonous would have made an appearance as well!

• Like 1

Between the two, I always did prefer Nina. I love how Nina's music had a stronger dynamic and versatility to it. I'd put Ella over Billie, actually. Though I haven't listened to everything each artist has to offer, this is where I currently stand. Once I get deeper into their various discographies, that may change.

I listen to Billie more, but this is a difficult question lmfao

I think Billie has a discography edge, slightly stronger body of work imo.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.