'Wicked' changes date and avoids 'Moana II' after Disney mega-hit with 'Inside Out 2'

Eóghan

the release was scheduled to nov 27 (thanksgiving weekend) against Moana 2 and now is moved up to nov 22. the superbowl trailer saying thanksgiving and the posters are gonna look a bit silly now. the way Universal was so confident to go against Moana 2 because Disney has been flopping lately and then they saw the Inside Out numbers and said nope

well-then.gif 

source: https://collider.com/wicked-release-date-change-gladiator-2/

Yeah, it's for the best, that way both will get the #1

• Like 4

I don't care about the #1 but I wish they released it in October, they could do a lot of fun things for Halloween.

• Thanks 3

Wicked is now going again Daddy Mescal… let's see if it can handle him:WAP:

All the industry outlets I've read are calling this a great move. Seems smart considering the target audience (women).

They're trying to create another Barbenheimer moment

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Poxy said:

Wicked is now going again Daddy Mescal… let's see if it can handle him:WAP:

i think it's great counter programming, isn't gladiator an r rated movie?

4 minutes ago, Flanders said:

All the industry outlets I've read are calling this a great move. Seems smart considering the target audience (women).

They're trying to create another Barbenheimer moment

yeah i've seen 'wickiator' :deadbanana:but so far people are just laughing at the name more than anything. 'barbenheimer' rolls off the tongue at least

Mess :deadbanana2:

40 minutes ago, ariananext said:

I don't care about the #1 but I wish they released it in October, they could do a lot of fun things for Halloween.

This!

Witches!? Halloween!? Come on now!

• Like 1

Smart move. Universal should gave done this when Disney announced the Moana 2 release date. Idk why they thought they could compete with Moana of all things. Moana is a massively successful IP for Disney and even if the sequel doesn't come close to the original in quality it will do huge numbers first week based off name and hype alone. Both movies have an overlap in target audience but most kids/families would have likely chosen Moana 2 Thanksgiving weekend because it already has a proven reputation among kids while Wicked's established audience is primarily adults but kids can enjoy it as well. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.