What's the benchmark for a Smash album these days?

OrgVisual

Since the music world is becoming more global and doesn't evolve around the US anymore, what's the benchmark for a HIT album these days?

2B streams?

5B streams?

10B streams? 

I think 2b is the minimum 

and 5b and over is a huge success but then again one album can cumulate 5 songs with 1b streams each and be 10 tracks long and another can have 1 song with 10b with 31 songs 

it depends on number of songs on it

Looking at the most streamed list on Spotify, I'd say 5 to 7 billion streams is the minimum. But I'm obviously disqualifying any album that is just a collection of singles spanning multiple years, like that Jason Derulo one that came out recently.

Edited by Virgos Groove

what the equivalent of 20 million copies sold?

30 BILLION streams. 

50 albums on Spotify has +7B streams and 15 albums have +10B streams so i would say 10B for streaming era albums 

DnTFQIn.thumb.gif.37594cf1b99b5f0ed07e4c

Edited by WildHeart

i think 2B is good. it's big enough that you can't payola it that far. but that's for spotify only where we can see the numbers. 2B combined is not enough

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Virgos Groove said:

Looking at the most streamed list on Spotify, I'd say 5 to 7 billion streams is the minimum. But I'm obviously disqualifying any album that is just a collection of singles spanning multiple years, like that Jason Derulo one that came out recently.

Exactly, no playlists allowed

spacer.png

• Haha 1

It depends on the standards per artist tbh. Brat is considered a smash album for charli but for Taylor it would've been the biggest chop of all time

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Klein said:

For a smash album? Probably around 8B streams from Spotify alone. 

You mean for streaming era albums right

2 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

def not 2b :ahh: 

Incoming smash album Smile apparently :ryan3:

• Haha 1

Instead of the total number of total streams, we should look to the amount of streams of the album tracks imo. An album with three huge singles can have a lot of streams in total, but if the album tracks aren't racking up streams either, it's just a string of smash singles or maybe a smash era, but not a smash album. Maybe the treshold should be something like:

80% of the album tracks/non-singles reach at least 100 million streams (on Spotify) in the first three months of the album being out

This would make TTPD and HMHAS smashes, while ES is a hit, but not a smash. Maybe the details should be different, and of course it should increase as the number of Spotify users increases :cm:

40 minutes ago, Kiel D-01 said:

10B at least

How many albums have more than 10B Spotify streams? Lol

23 minutes ago, pavi said:

Instead of the total number of total streams, we should look to the amount of streams of the album tracks imo. An album with three huge singles can have a lot of streams in total, but if the album tracks aren't racking up streams either, it's just a string of smash singles or maybe a smash era, but not a smash album. Maybe the treshold should be something like:

80% of the album tracks/non-singles reach at least 100 million streams (on Spotify) in the first three months of the album being out

This would make TTPD and HMHAS smashes, while ES is a hit, but not a smash. Maybe the details should be different, and of course it should increase as the number of Spotify users increases :cm:

Not true, an album with longevity >>>>> "first three months" 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.