France projected to go far-right in exit polls for first round

Gwendolyn

Horizon Flame
19 hours ago, Anthinos said:

And there are also gays who vote for the extreme right, are against LGBT rights, etc. It's about what these people stand for. Gays can also be homophobic and there are countless examples. What kind of logic is that.

The gays there will tell you that they're voting against Islamic homophobia. Many of them fear for their lives. It's not surprising that Le Pen has so much support. Immigration is what's killing the Left globally. It got out of control. Europe was homogenized for centuries. They are not the US. They have no idea how to operate in a melting pot society. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Squall

• Communion

• A.R.L

• shimind

3 hours ago, Horizon Flame said:

The gays there will tell you that they're voting against Islamic homophobia. Many of them fear for their lives. It's not surprising that Le Pen has so much support. Immigration is what's killing the Left globally. It got out of control. Europe was homogenized for centuries. They are not the US. They have no idea how to operate in a melting pot society. 

Given the immigration agenda of Joe Biden embracing far right ideology, it doesn't seem the US knows how to operate that way either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Horizon Flame said:

mind you the biggest anti lgbt movement in france was led by christian white people. it's okay to just say that these voters are racist without trying to find excuses

• Like 4

On 7/3/2024 at 8:28 AM, Anthinos said:

And there are also gays who vote for the extreme right, are against LGBT rights, etc. It's about what these people stand for. Gays can also be homophobic and there are countless examples. What kind of logic is that.

True, I saw some online videos with comments of white extremists who hate the gays, of course, that doesn't eliminate extremist Muslims from this conversation, but when it comes to homophobia in some parts of Europe lately due to the massive ideology of the far right, I'm so surprised to see how most homophobes are from extremist Europeans more than extremist Muslims living in Europe.

The problem with this is that none of them show their homophobia yet

in real life, they only have balls on the Internet (at least for Europe). I know that things in the States are even worse for LGBT people, but if the laws change against LGBT in Europe, those homophobes would become aggressive in real life, just as is the case in some states in America.

The worst part of all this, there are a good number of LGBT people who would never admit all this and would still blame only extremist Muslims living in Europe for homophobia, even when it directly comes from white extremists. 

On 7/1/2024 at 2:18 AM, Anthinos said:

I really don't understand how people can vote for far-right parties. It's happening everywhere. It makes me sick. On the other hand, it can't get any worse. The shift to the right has happened. I can't imagine it going any further to the right. Perhaps progressive forces will have more luck in the 2030s.

Years and years and years of bad policies led us here. Citizens get screwed over so they started looking for alternatives. Like a pendulum, it will swing back around.

On 7/1/2024 at 11:30 PM, Jglj said:

I must say, I'm not French, so someone might have a better insight into it. But the President of France is usually seen as one of the most powerful government position when compared to other democracies (e.g. UK, Germany, etc.). The president is the head of the executive branch, so they are in control of the armed forces, they also set the political agenda of the country and are responsible for diplomacy. They have the power to appoint the Prime Minister, albeit the National Assembly has to confirm this appointment with a vote, so usually the President picks someone from the largest party.

The Presidential term is 5 years, as is the National Assembly, but the president can call a snap election for the National Assembly, which is the case here.

In general terms, the system was created envisioning the National Assembly and the President to be on the same side and work together. The Prime Minister is the leader of the National Assembly and will share executive power with the President. When both are on the same party or coalition, it's all good as the PM will push for the President's agenda and all. Now when the National Assembly has the opposition leading, it's what is called a cohabitation government, in which most likely the PM will tip the scales.

As for why he called the election, it was a surprise for everyone. The most common read is that after the far-right came out on top in the EU Parliament elections*, and his party flopped, he threw a gamble to the French people, forcing them to decide if they actually want a far right government; some say he did this so the left wouldn't have time to organise, so his party would get all the tactical votes against the far right; others say it's because he's going with the "France is not governable" approach and giving the people a taste of how bad the far right would be. But I think no one knows for sure why he did this.

*The EU Parliament is one of the three main political entities of the union, it's the only one where EU citizens vote directly. These elections a lot of time get lower turnout than general elections, but they give some of the temperature of how people might vote in upcoming elections in some countries (the ones with higher turnout). The far right got around 30% of the votes in France. Important to note the EU is not a federation, so the EU parliament is not the same as a legislative branch of a country, but that's a whole another can of worms.

Unrelated, but this was a very insightful read. You are a great writer :clap3:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.