If Taylor led 'reputation' with "Call It What You Want"

umich

Taylor Swift's sixth album, 'reputation,' was led with "Look What You Made Me Do" - spending 3 weeks at #1 and is eligible for diamond certification.

How do you think "Call It What You Want" would have fared in comparison? 

cc @TayDuaStan @fridayteenage @State of Grace. @Saintlor @Achilles. @Taylor fanboy et al

• Like 2

Would've flopped. LWYMMD was a big bombastic single to come off the huge 1989 era

Call it What You Want would've felt flat and too low key coming off the back of 1989s huge singles like SIO and BS. Its one of those songs that would be more appreciated as an album track than single

• Like 3

CIWYW wouldn't have been the radio poison that LWYMMD ended up being, but I don't imagine it would've been too big of a hit either. Plus Look's success and legacy is largely built upon its video, which CIWYW could never have matched. 

Delicate or Don't Blame Me were the only two songs on the album that could have done well on radio, suited the discourse of her career in that moment, and served strong visuals (she'd have done something more for Delicate's video if it were the lead). 

It's a cute song but sounds more like a ~4th single. Call It What You Want, Delicate, Don't Blame Me, and basically all the love tracks from the album wouldn't have worked as lead singles imo. 

Leading the campaign with LWYMMD was the right choice. It was different from her previous songs, controversial, and perfectly set the tone for the era. The GP was perched for her response and it was more of a "statement" single that tackles all the controversies around her. It also allowed her to serve her best video. None of the other songs would have had as much impact even if they were better. 

Edited by State of Grace.
  • Like 1

I love Call It What You Want infinitely more than Look What You Made Me Do, but it was the right choice for a lead single. She needed to properly address the drama surrounding her and reclaim the snake imagery otherwise she probably wouldn't have really recovered from the blowback.Call It What You Want should have been a single down the line though.

The perfect single run for Rep would've been:

LWYMMD (lead)

DWOHT/RFI (countdown/promo singles)

Delicate (2nd single released with the album)

Don't Blame Me (3rd single)

Getaway Car (4th single)

Call It What You Want (5th single)

• Like 1

LWYMMD was the correct choice. However the follow-ups to LWYMMD... could've been better

:suburban:

• Like 2

I cant believe she ruined the era with RFI and End Game...RFI would have just been cute as a promo video during album release...End Game should have been an album track

Let's just say she would be sitting with a ROTY and SOTY Grammy right now :giraffe:

reputation made so much sense at the time, truly the last culture reset moment 

• Like 5

CIWYW is one of my favorite songs on the album but would've fallen flat culturally compared to LWYMMD. The buildup for that was crazy and regardless of how people feel personally about the song and its replayability, it was the perfect opener for Rep.

It just doesn't have the first single epicness. Don't Blame Me or IDSB would have been better

LWYMMD was the right first single choice.

She should have announced the album for a couple of weeks earlier than its original release to release it in late October

She should have released Delicate as the second single the week before the album to show the different/vulnerable side of the album 

And she should have released it in streaming directly, unlike she did (she waited a few weeks to release it in Spotify)

Edited by taylor__fan

LWYMMD was a right choice, although it's not the best song from the album, if feels more commercial than CIWYW. 

Don't Blame Me, I Did Something Bad and Getaway Car were the obvious next choices but well...

The media will hate any solo lead single TS will release post-snake gate.

My ideal puta era

Double A: LWYMMD/Delicate dual release

Pre-singles:

DWOHT

So It Goes…

Don't Blame Me

Second Single on album release: Don't Blame Me

AAA/Country on album release: New Year's Day with dark Christmas themed video

Spring Single: King Of My Heart

Summer Single: Getaway Car

GOODBYE BIG MACHINE.

2 hours ago, Taylor fanboy said:

My ideal puta era

Double A: LWYMMD/Delicate dual release

Pre-singles:

DWOHT

So It Goes…

Don't Blame Me

Second Single on album release: Don't Blame Me

AAA/Country on album release: New Year's Day with dark Christmas themed video

Spring Single: King Of My Heart

Summer Single: Getaway Car

GOODBYE BIG MACHINE.

A duel lead single release would've diluted the impact of LWYMMD

Even the brace for impact commercial was iconic

• Like 1

not the middest song on the album:rip:

The chorus ruined this song for me, I find it really childish.

LWYMMD or IDSB were the perfect lead single after the snake gate, but personally I would pick Delicate.

6 hours ago, Saintlor said:

A duel lead single release would've diluted the impact of LWYMMD

Even the brace for impact commercial was iconic

In my *delusion* mind, Look would serve the shock factor while Delicate will be better on radio and eventually take over in streaming. 

• Haha 1

Look was the right choice.

The only other song that could be the lead single is I did something bad

She needs a lead to address all the snakegate drama. 

Ready for it should be a cute promo single

End game is not too bad as the 2nd single, its kinda obvious when 1st heard the album but she released it too late.

Dont blame me should be the real 2nd single released during Christmas season, its giving Take me to church vibe

LWYMMD was the correct choice. CIWYW is a cute song but not single material. 

• ATRL Moderator

Meh, CIWYW might be more representative of the album but she needed to make a big splash with her comeback.  LWYMMD was perfect and a really fun moment in her career.

the real lead should have been End Game

Rep era should've been

pre-release Dual Lead: lwymmd/RFI

album release single: idsb

4th single: Don't blame me

5th single: Getaway car

6th single: delicate

7th single: call it what you want

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.