Gwen's The Sweet Escape album appreciation

Technicolor

Yeah, the 3 ballads are def the best songs here. Wind It Up, Yummy and Don't Get It Twisted are experimental BOPS

The 3 songs in the OP are kinda so bad that they are good, especially Breaking Up

Edited by tost1

2 hours ago, MonsterNavy said:

both LAMB and The Sweet Escape are pop bibles :WAP:

Her two first albums are so good. I wonder what made her lost her vision/creativity. Maybe she had a great team behind her then she went away for too long and when she came back her all team had just moved on.

41 minutes ago, SlowGinFizzzz said:

Her casually inventing proto-PC music with that album was such a moment!

wait, now that you said it miss gwen is kinda the mother of pc/hyperpop with LAMB and The Sweet Escape omg :WAP:

6 minutes ago, Sabandija said:

Her two first albums are so good. I wonder what made her lost her vision/creativity. Maybe she had a great team behind her then she went away for too long and when she came back her all team had just moved on.

def took her long enough cause 2006 then her next solo release being in 2014 is just :deadbanana:

wish we had the 3rd album in 2008/2009 when gaga was dominating. I just know she could've made another pop excellence back then :'( 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MonsterNavy said:

def took her long enough cause 2006 then her next solo release being in 2014 is just :deadbanana:

wish we had the 3rd album in 2008/2009 when gaga was dominating. I just know she could've made another pop excellence back then :'( 

I think this Gwen's case shows how important a good team is in an artist career. Of course, Gwen can sing, she's beautiful and had a recognizable image but the team behind her played a big part in her success. The same thing could be said about Fergie and Nelly. They took long breaks and their teams moved on to the next big star. Not even their go-to producers would give them their best material.

Taking a long break is such a risky move in the music industry. The GP is not the only one forgetting about you.

I mean 4 In The Morning & Early Winter alone **** on careers!!

It was really a collection of leftovers...but they were excellent.

I remember when she performed OG girl on her first album tour so we heard the live version way in advance.

Wind it up is so fun and high energy

Sweet escape is her classic even though I grew to love it.

They messed up by remixing Now that you got it.

Braking up was such a fun 80s experimental bop that needed a visual even though it was very basic.

Yummy needed to be a single

Flourescent is so fun and experimental

OG girl needed to be a radio single. That's such a hip hop coded smash

U started it was simple yet effective

Don't get it twisted is the one track that feels half empty tbh.

Everything else was No doubt coded and I liked it but I loved the experimental tracks even more.

11 hours ago, Sabandija said:

Her third album was for the most part amazing as well (especially the bonus tracks), I think a lot of people unfortunately let the very beige album cover and art direction make them believe the album itself was boring and unseasoned, which it was definitely not. The "quirky" Gwen people seem to love so much was definitely still there (Naughty, Red Flag, Asking For It, Rocket Ship, Obsessed), the fun uptempo bops were great as well (Getting Warmer, Send Me A Picture, Make Me Like You), and the melancholic/ballad-y songs (Splash, Loveable, Rare) can stand head to head with earlier classics like Cool or 4 In The Morning.

I will admit that it sounds a bit of its time (like a lot of 2016-ish pop albums) and the production could have been more daring, but overall it's still a great album and a worthy follow-up to L.A.M.B. and The Sweet Escape.

• Like 1

I remember hearing Wind it up for the first time at my School Pep Rally rehearsals. I was with my besties like  "Omg Gurl, is this Gwen Stefani? Crank this Up" then these white girls in my grade were trying to get Crunk to it and I got 2nd hand embarrassment. :dies: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.