Progressives criticize NYS Dems' redistricting following Rep. Bowman's primary loss

Communion

• ATRL Moderator

This is… really sad. The fact we even have such a powerful lobby that insists on defending genocide and crushing anyone that challenges it is horrifying. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

The 16th was already home to some of the wealthiest places in the US (Scarsdale, Larchmont, Rye, etc.), and without the working class voters in the Bronx (now in the 15th to be represented by Ritchie Torres), Bowman didn't really have a chance. AIPAC throwing a boat-load of money at this election certainly skewed things even further, but losing the vast majority of Bronx voters to redistricting was the end. 

So ******* sad….the way American politics are just as corrupt as "underdeveloped" nations is kinda crazy

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wastedpotential said:

The 16th was already home to some of the wealthiest places in the US (Scarsdale, Larchmont, Rye, etc.), and without the working class voters in the Bronx (now in the 15th to be represented by Ritchie Torres), Bowman didn't really have a chance. AIPAC throwing a boat-load of money at this election certainly skewed things even further, but losing the vast majority of Bronx voters to redistricting was the end. 

I think there could be an argument that Bowman had an uphill battle after the redistricting, but I think the general resentment is mostly that it reflects highly poorly on Establishment Dems for essentially allowing a largely black district to be re-districted to a black-and-brown plurality, while allowing a foreign nation's lobby to basically funnel money into the race against the black candidate who, most importantly, will likely be the candidate of choice for those in the non-white parts of the district when full results come out.

I'd have to double-check but I also saw a line that Bowman was the last black congressional rep in New York with a district that expanded beyond NYC.

Add on to this Latimer's conservative past and it's all a bit... oh ew.

• Like 2

Time for progressives to leave the corporate Democratic Party. Working within the party has largely been a dead end for left-wing politics and stymies any outside strategy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Communion said:

I think there could be an argument that Bowman had an uphill battle after the redistricting, but I think the general resentment is mostly that it reflects highly poorly on Establishment Dems for essentially allowing a largely black district to be re-districted to a black-and-brown plurality, while allowing a foreign nation's lobby to basically funnel money into the race against the black candidate who, most importantly, will likely be the candidate of choice for those in the non-white parts of the district when full results come out.

I'd have to double-check but I also saw a line that Bowman was the last black congressional rep in New York with a district that expanded beyond NYC.

Add on to this Latimer's conservative past and it's all a bit... oh ew.

I can't say I'm too surprised that the establishment, Westchester crowd would win out over the progressive voices (especially considering how... vociferous Bowman has been in his disagreements with the party line on some issues) at the end of the NY redistricting saga, though it is disappointing. I haven't seen specific analysis but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Bowman was sacrificed by the establishment on their path to getting a map that would flip back the 17th and 19th. 

51 minutes ago, Bloo said:

This is… really sad. The fact we even have such a powerful lobby that insists on defending genocide and crushing anyone that challenges it is horrifying. 

I've seen some speculation that Cori Bush's polling is doing a bit better (and she was a stronger candidate in her district last cycle than Bowman was even in his own district's previous borders), so she should at least be good. The criticism and attacks on her seem also more misplaced / misunderstanding of the district.

There were some outlets trying to use that she - as a pastor - believed she in the past could perform miracles through prayer and faith healing. The aim of the articles oddly hoping that a 47-year-old highly religious black woman believing in the sentiment that prayer can heal ailments would be seen as worthy of mean-spirited ridicule in her district of all places.

Edited by Communion
  • Like 2

Bowman was a crappy candidate running  against another crappy candidate in a Better drawn district for the challenger. 

sure the money spent against him mattered but he would've probably lost anyway. 

AOC remains the politically smartest squad member 🤷

Edited by GhostBox
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, GhostBox said:

You literally have no actual reason for saying this and wouldn't be able to articulate one when pressed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GhostBox said:

Bowman was a crappy candidate running  against another crappy candidate in a Better drawn district for the challenger. 

sure the money spent against him mattered but he would've probably lost anyway. 

Apparently hes the guy who pulled the fire alarm during a vote in congress. :ahh: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Democrats will cry when Black men and progressives don't show up for Biden in November too. :rip: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

A party that shouts about democracy did that! 

1 hour ago, Onyxmage said:

Apparently hes the guy who pulled the fire alarm during a vote in congress. :ahh: 

Yeah he was a disaster and spiraling long before AIPAC got involved, they just added the final blow. (Down 17pts in April before AIPAC spent any money, so he actually bounced back a bit it sems https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/20240404_NY16_Mellman.pdf. Bowman's disapproval rose by a huge 27pt since 2022.)

Latimer's home advantage in the suspiciously redrawn district and Bowman spewing out delulu conspiracies like calling Hamas' crimes propaganda did much more damage. Like Latimer sucks so bad, and focusing solely on AIPAC's money how big of a dumpster fire Bowman was to lose to him this badly, esp as an incumbent. Hopefully Latimer d-words soon or smth and dems have a better candidate ready than cuckoo #1 and cuckoo #2 

• Like 2

They didnt redraw NY-16 to make Bowman weak to a primary challanger, they redrew it because NY lost a district and the legislature wanted to make the other NYC districts safer for democrats. Thats gerrymandering which isnt great either way but not some conspiracy. 

It's Bowman's own fault for ignoring the Yonkers part of his district.  

Edited by Tovitov
  • Like 1

For those who don't know about NY-16, Ken Jenkins is the chair of the NYS redistricting commission for the Dems and is Deputy County Executive in Westchester County. While the commission's map was rejected by the state legislature in Feb, the slight changes that were made were definitely made by Jenkins with Latimer in mind.

I personally think it speaks more to votes against things like infrastructure and antics like the fire alarm than it does AIPAC, though they surely had a hand. He was pretty soundly defeated and clearly caused some ire amongst his constituents redistricting or not imo. It's good he stood up for Palestine but some of his other antics were 💀

Redistricting is the way the Democrats deal with progressives. Even without AIPAC dumping millions into the race, the redistricting pretty much seal Bowman's fate.  Democrats put as much emphasis into redistricting out progressives as they do Republicans when they control the process.

• Like 1

Latimer is giving one term once the district realizes where he actually stands :clap3:

I hope Bowman runs as an independent to be petty and hurt Latimer's chances in November :heart:

True mask off moment for the Democrats

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.