Sabrina Carpenter likely eligible for Best New Artist Grammy, confirms Billboard

Fitzswiftie

Atp I don't know why they don't just rename the category as Best Breakthrough Artist like the BRIT's had for so many years, or why the BRIT's changed theirs to Best New Artist.

• Like 2

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rac7d

• Julia Fox

• Joyride

• nicholas

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's crazy how the rules have been completely flipped on their head since Gaga was ineligible in 2009. It seems like anything goes these days.

3 hours ago, MatiRod said:

I thought at this point it's pretty much "whatever feels right"

its being made redundant if they are nominating girls who been in the game for a minute lol - the only acception is Normani bc she's only just released her solo debut

This category recognizes an artist whose eligibility-year release(s) achieved a breakthrough into the public consciousness and notably impacted the musical landscape.

Based on this Sabrina shouldn't be eligible because nonsense was a top 10 hit on pop radio during the previous eligibility period

Ariana wasn't eligible for Best New Artist during My Everything because she had some success the previous year with Yours Truly (even when it wasn't that massive)

So basically:

Emails I Can't Send = Yours Truly era

Short n' Sweet = My Everything era

But then again they allowed Tate to be submitted 3 times so who knows  :dies: 

1 hour ago, @michael said:

It's crazy how the rules have been completely flipped on their head since Gaga was ineligible in 2009. It seems like anything goes these days.

To think Whitney wasn't eligible in 1985 after her massive debut just because she had a random collaboration that no one knows in someone else album the year before and now they allow people with 10 years releasing albums to be nominated and even win (Shelby whatever in 2001) 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Miichael said:

Atp I don't know why they don't just rename the category as Best Breakthrough Artist like the BRIT's had for so many years, or why the BRIT's changed theirs to Best New Artist.

I need this industry to stop bending over for her

would they do this for a non white artist

roddy rich and cardi b we're not eligible in 2018 despite their major success and breakthrough 

54 minutes ago, rac7d said:

I need this industry to stop bending over for her

would they do this for a non white artist

roddy rich and cardi b we're not eligible in 2018 despite their major success and breakthrough 

I'm not saying that they should change it specifically for her, but this is happening more commonly these days where artists are having their commercial breakthroughs years after they debuted and already built a fanbase. Sabrina is just one of those examples.

5 hours ago, OrgVisual said:

Sabrina / Chappell / Benson / Shaboozey => The BNA competition is LIT

I only consider Benson and Shaboozey as new artists. Sabrina and Chappell are in their mid-20s and have had active careers for nearly a decade.

46 minutes ago, pride4jc1222 said:

I only consider Benson and Shaboozey as new artists. Sabrina and Chappell are in their mid-20s and have had active careers for nearly a decade.

not really - she released one ep w 5 songs and pink pony club though atlantic - got dropped and has been releasing music that are actually part of her debut album ever since 2022 with the album coming out in 2023 after she signed with island records. she hasn't had an "active career" lol it's her first album, just bc it took her a long time to be able to get it out in the world due to lack of investement and opportunities, it doesn't mean that she isn't a new artist. it's her first true body of work. it's a completely different situation from sabrina and not comparable at all. 

Edited by georgechxng
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Miichael said:

I'm not saying that they should change it specifically for her, but this is happening more commonly these days where artists are having their commercial breakthroughs years after they debuted and already built a fanbase. Sabrina is just one of those examples.

It's bs but if they want eyes they need to put Sabrina every so why not change the rules for her

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.