Sabrina Carpenter likely eligible for Best New Artist Grammy, confirms Billboard

Fitzswiftie

Carpenter has not been previously nominated for a Grammy, which generally results in disqualification from best new artist. And she has not been entered in the best new artist competition three times, which is an automatic disqualifier. Tate McRae has been entered three times (the last three years), so she is not eligible to be entered again. Carpenter has been entered twice – in 2017 and 2024, so she does not run afoul of that rule.

It will be up to the aforementioned Screening Committee to weigh all these factors and decide if Carpenter should be allowed to compete for best new artist. The key criteria: "This category recognizes an artist whose eligibility-year release(s) achieved a breakthrough into the public consciousness and notably impacted the musical landscape."

The Academy can't confirm what will or won't be on the ballot until the screening process is completed. They don't want to box themselves into a position, when it's really the prerogative of the screening committee to make those decisions.

https://www.billboard.com/music/awards/sabrina-carpenter-grammy-best-new-artist-2025-eligible-or-not-1235718054/

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rac7d

• Julia Fox

• Joyride

• nicholas

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapell is taking it anyway! And she deserves it! And so does Sabrina but she could snatch a pop award or maybe SOTY/ROTY 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

Chappell vs Sabrina is going to be a fun, exciting match up to witness go down 

I see Chappell taking BNA and Sabrina taking Best Pop Solo Performance in the end, and they both end up newly Grammys winners by February 

:eatpopcorn:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Julia Fox said:

Chapell is taking it anyway! And she deserves it! And so does Sabrina but she could snatch a pop award or maybe SOTY/ROTY 

I really don't like Sabrina's music. But I just love your way of staning. This is pretty realistic 

6 minutes ago, MatiRod said:

Is Normani eligible? Before I get dragged, she did just release her debut album which has received positive reviews, it wouldn't be crazy for her to be nominated 

She was apart of Fifth Harmony, who were well known. She is not. 

Edited by 45seconds
  • Like 3

I would love to see Sabrina win a Grammy but her wining best new artist would be awkward since she's been releasing music since 2015

I imagine she would definitely shade them in her speech if she won 

• Like 1

Someone with soon to be 6 studio albums shouldn't be considered "New". Maybe they can have a separate Breakthrough Artist award.

• Like 12

Chappell Roan should definitely get it, and Short N Sweet should not get an AOTY nom. I have a feeling that it will be nominated since they add in so many unnecessary nominees these days. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

This is embarrasing, she has like 5 projects, songs charting before around the world and had 2 different major label contracts :giraffe: Chappell should be the clear winner in this category

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see her take it, she's very popular which helps, and has a much more palatable image than Chappell

• Thumbs Down 1

Chappell is this year's critics darling and deservedly so. I'm sure they'll be competing in pretty much every major category. would love for Sabrina to be nominated though.

1 hour ago, Cheers said:

Someone with soon to be 6 studio albums shouldn't be considered "New". Maybe they can have a separate Breakthrough Artist award.

Best Breakthrough Artist should be a thing, you are correct.

• Thanks 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.