MTV News Website Goes Dark, Archives Pulled Offline

Gwendolyn

More than two decades' worth of content published on MTVNews.com is no longer available after MTV appears to have fully pulled down the site and its related content.

In 2023, MTV News was shuttered amid the financial woes of parent company Paramount Global. As of Monday, trying to access MTV News articles on mtvnews.com or mtv.com/news resulted in visitors being redirected to the main MTV website.

Former MTV News staffers posted on social media about the website shutdown and the scrubbing of the archives. "So, mtvnews.com no longer exists. Eight years of my life are gone without a trace," Patrick Hosken, former music editor for MTV News, wrote on X. "All because it didn't fit some executives' bottom lines. Infuriating is too small a word."

https://variety.com/2024/digital/news/mtv-news-website-archives-pulled-offline-1236047163/

Another sign MTV is slowly fading. I'm surprised they still keep the VMAs and EMAs running by this point.

• Like 7

First, the library of Alexandria burned down. Then, the archives of MTV News.com were wiped from the World Wide Web. No one wants to wake up to news I woke up to. No one. I sit at my vanity, scrolling, hoping, waiting, pleading. But there goes history…

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Oh this ain't cute. Thank goodness for archive sites.

• Thanks 1

First they scrap complete movies, now they delete news archives. These money-grubbing executives need to be dealt with (on Minecraft).

• Haha 4

The end of an era :rip:

• ATRL Administrator

They could have monetized the archives. This is such a stupid way of doing business. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

They've really been destroying themselves slowly for the past 30 years. :rip:  A Madonna tea.

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Down 6

PopCrave tweets killed the MTVNews.com star 

22 minutes ago, Ryan said:

They could have monetized the archives. This is such a stupid way of doing business. 

Seriously, they have such an incredible archive. I would pay to go back and watch old interviews and specials, TRL episodes, past VMAs in full, MTV Unplugged, Cribs, My Super Sweet 16, The Hills, Laguna Beach, Jersey Shore, True Life... millennials would eat it up (I think some of it it's on Paramount+ but they need put everything there)

• Like 2

Wow…just like that? 

I'm going to find a way to blame this on ridiculousness

• Like 1

This is all Justin Timberlake's fault, somehow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

i think thats what they are going to do hopefully

ot: this is ghetto as hell. i hope wiki archived this stuff because a lot of weekly album sales sources  are going to be missing :thing: 

Just delete decades of music history, great idea...

This is why I've invested in buying certain things. Books from record research, certain genre history books & contemplated a yearly subscription to Rocks Backpages. Companies are either willfully deleting **** or new executives don't see the value in things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Touchdown said:

They've really been destroying themselves slowly for the past 30 years. :rip:  A Madonna tea.

Not today. Not with that avi

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It's not for no reason. Outlets like this that were big 10-25 years ago have a lot of content that is not considered PC today (aka fun). Execs (in a lot of industries) would just rather remove what they can as they have no idea what would be considered problematic now...or even in a week from now...can't blame them tbh

17 minutes ago, robattack332 said:

It's not for no reason. Outlets like this that were big 10-25 years ago have a lot of content that is not considered PC today (aka fun). Execs (in a lot of industries) would just rather remove what they can as they have no idea what would be considered problematic now...or even in a week from now...can't blame them tbh

If this were true, and I highly doubt it is, that would be the dumbest ****ing reason ever to do this :rip: As if people are going around cancelling old MTV episodes and movies which would have been done by now anyways.

• Like 2

That whole "the internet lives forever" thing has really turned out to be such a crock. I can never find anything. Maybe AI could at least prove useful in that regard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Just a Gay on ATRL said:

First, the library of Alexandria burned down. Then, the archives of MTV News.com were wiped from the World Wide Web. No one wants to wake up to news I woke up to. No one. I sit at my vanity, scrolling, hoping, waiting, pleading. But there goes history…

you forgot to mention Yahoo! Answers 

3 hours ago, Gui Blackout said:

Seriously, they have such an incredible archive. I would pay to go back and watch old interviews and specials, TRL episodes, past VMAs in full, MTV Unplugged, Cribs, My Super Sweet 16, The Hills, Laguna Beach, Jersey Shore, True Life... millennials would eat it up (I think some of it it's on Paramount+ but they need put everything there)

Exactly. Also, regarding Paramount +, while most of their classic shows are up, a lot of them don't have all of the episodes. I feel like there's only a handful of shows on there that do. 

45 minutes ago, Tropical said:

That whole "the internet lives forever" thing has really turned out to be such a crock. I can never find anything. Maybe AI could at least prove useful in that regard.

The internet is forever...until someone doesn't pay for servers anymore.

This is a huge issue in videogames as well, specially with online games. 

• Like 1

MTV is gone, VH1 is gone but BET is still standing. :clap3: 

this is genuinely sad omg :jonny2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.