Shania Twain reveals the sad truth behind "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!"

Burn

"That song was me saying I have waited too long to feel good about being a woman," the country singer said

shania_twain.png

In an interview with The Times, the country singer, 58, opened up about her abusive childhood and how it influenced her 1997 hit song "Man! I Feel Like a Woman!"

Twain said that her mother's second husband Jerry would sexually assault her in addition to being physically abusive to her mother.

"That song was me saying I have waited too long to feel good about being a woman. For many years I shied away from it or wished I wasn't a woman. I was a shy, insecure female — not person," Twain said about the popular song.

"My brain said, 'I don't really care what I am,' but my body got in the way — the female got in the way. I've got curves so I had to set boundaries and guards very young. I did everything not to bring attention to them."

She felt as though she "missed out on the joy of being a female" and said she never "once went to the beach in a bathing suit" as a teen. 

"I knew that boys were going to take advantage of me in one way or another," she added.

However, her feelings eventually changed. "But then I became tired of acting like I'm not a female with curves, so I wrote 'Man! I Feel Like a Woman!' I guess I was a late bloomer in getting comfortable in my own skin, but after a while you just have to stop picking away at the things you can't change," the singer said.

https://people.com/shania-twain-says-man-i-feel-like-a-woman-came-from-years-wishing-she-was-not-a-woman-8667889

• Like 2

What an empowering statement in the face of SA. Shania, you will ALWAYS be famous 

this song has always been empowering, but this context makes it even more so. 

• Like 1

A classic 

a timeless masterpiece... let me put my Come On Over CD on spin for mother

an absolute legend :heart:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.