Chloe Bailey: "My music is categorized as R&B because I'm black"

Burn

She's got a point

She has a point. 

This is happening for decades.

It's also "funny" to check productions of Timbaland, Pharrel, Tricky/The Dream. Pollow Da Don of around 2004-2008 and see how much of their work is classified R&B etc. when it is a black artist and how a similair production is deemed pop because any other act sings it.

Yes a good portion of her debut is R&B but there are enough moments on there that would be classified pop had it been recorded by an Ariana Grande or JoJo  for example. There was and still is a big bias. Where especially yt artists can dip their toes and even take a good swim in certain spaces and genres and evolve and get their flowers for it. A lot of black artists just cant or if they do are classified in the same box over and over again.

Edited by J-esper
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Taylor fanboy said:

She's right and she should say it! :clap3:

This is too musically complex to be labelled as R&B alone.

it's classified as pop on Apple Music
she also got hate for doing pop when she dropped it

i hate this especially when it blocks real r&b artists.

I mean, I understand what she's saying, but honestly it feels like they're denouncing R&B music, like. SZA and other artists said something like this & it reeks of "I'm not like the other girls" energy. As if R&B is not a worthy genre to be making music in.

I mean... in theory, she is NOT WRONG....but you are making RnB Music sis... like... maybe Tinashe has made some pop bangers and Normani with Motivation...

She is completly right. Some of you clearly are not getting what she's trying to say.

She'll need to do Hustler or Brazzers soon.

She's right. This is an ongoing issue. Non R&B songs shouldn't be categorized as R&B just because of a person's skin colour, that's not fair for the genre as a whole or for them as artists that want to try and break barriers and people continuously putting them in boxes.

Also historically pop award winners make more money, and historically black pop artists are not considered "pop" so it's just people advocating for themselves.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.