Can you recommend a good way / software to rip a CD?

duybeeGAshantiGA

Hi all,

I am planning to rip all of my CD collection so I can listen to the music files on my new car (which doesnt have a CD player). The speakers on the car are really good (built ny Yamaha) so I think I may try to rip the CDs into lossless files (like FLAC or sumn) so I can listen to quality and lossless music. We all know that the quality of the music on Spotify is not good enough.

I know about EAC (Exact Audio Copy) software which many people use for a long time (prolly like more than 20 years). But the process of using that software may be a chore.

I am not sure if there's any other software in 2024 that can do a good job as much as EAC but easier to use?

Please enlighten me.

Thank you!! :bird:

Edited by duybeeGAshantiGA

I remember using Nero Burning Rom. It extracts audio files from CDs 

• Like 1

what in the 2000s? :rip: all this hassle when you can use spotify or youtube or whatever

• Thumbs Down 5

Windows Media Player is still good for that stuff :)

just hope your laptop or PC has a disk thingy because none do these days :weeps: im just lucky I still have my old itunes files backed up :gaycat7:

Exact Audio Copy (known as "EAC" for short is good). I've been using it for years. I find it to be a more versatile software than Windows Media Player and I like that it actually tells me the percentage of how accurate the rip of each individual track is. I have a soft spot for CD's.

Edited by Dante Silva

17 minutes ago, Pendulum said:

what in the 2000s? :rip: all this hassle when you can use spotify or youtube or whatever

I was thinking the same I haven't done that since like 2008 lol

1 hour ago, allforyou said:

Windows Media Player does a pretty good job at riping CDs tbh

50 minutes ago, sh0ckw4ves said:

Do you have a Mac? I used to use a program called Max back in the day but tbh even iTunes has FLAC/WAV settings. 

32 minutes ago, fa77ot said:

you can rip CDs to WAV/AIFF in iTunes (Windows or Mac)

Thank you. Yeah but I've read that Windows Media Player and ITunes (I actually have ripped CDs by these softwares before), they do not provide the best quality files since they do not have the accuracy that some softwares do. They are simple but I dont think they are the best in terms of ripping the best files.

Also the new sound system on my new car is really good, I think I can hear a difference between playimg a song on streaming services and a song ripped from a Cd by a good software.

Edited by duybeeGAshantiGA

28 minutes ago, Pendulum said:

10 minutes ago, Into The Void said:

I was thinking the same I haven't done that since like 2008 lol

CDs wont last forever. I am not also good at keeping my CDs since the weather and humidity levels here where I live are ****. So I 1. want to rip so I can have the lossless files forever 2. The sound quality of streaming services cant compared to CD files/lossless files that were ripped from CDs.

2 minutes ago, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

they do not provide the best quality files since they do not have the accuracy that some softwares do

isn't AIFF the best music format you can get? it's uncompressed (about 10 MB for one minute of stereo audio at a sample rate of 44.1 kHz and a bit depth of 16 bits)

22 minutes ago, Dante Silva said:

Exact Audio Copy (known as "EAC" for short is good). I've been using it for years. I find it to be a more versatile software than Windows Media Player and I like that it actually tells me the percentage of how accurate the rip of each individual track is. I have a soft spot for CD's.

Yes thanks. I have known EAC for quite a long time. Many people said it's good but why does the softwate make it so hard to set up/ use? Like I once tried to install and rip a CD but I almost gave up. I may give it another try since now I am older and have more patience.

1 minute ago, fa77ot said:

isn't AIFF the best music format you can get? it's uncompressed (about 10 MB for one minute of stereo audio at a sample rate of 44.1 kHz and a bit depth of 16 bits)

I know but I can actuallt fake a file from 192kbps into a AIFF file so.. :dancehall: if you get what I mean

8 minutes ago, Hexchromatica said:

As long as you rip it lossless, you won't lose quality, no?

Yes but I am sure if you can rip it real quality lossless with Windows Media Player or iTunes, no one would use any other softwares since WMP/iTunes are so easy and simple to use. There must be something about the actual quality / error control / accuracy that makes people (especially audiophiles) look for a more complicated software. s:wan:

1 hour ago, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

Yes thanks. I have known EAC for quite a long time. Many people said it's good but why does the softwate make it so hard to set up/ use? Like I once tried to install and rip a CD but I almost gave up. I may give it another try since now I am older and have more patience.

During install choose the "Express Settings" option as that takes a lot of hard work out of setup. Once it's up and running and you have used it a while it becomes second nature.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

Yes but I am sure if you can rip it real quality lossless with Windows Media Player or iTunes, no one would use any other softwares since WMP/iTunes are so easy and simple to use. There must be something about the actual quality / error control / accuracy that makes people (especially audiophiles) look for a more complicated software. s:wan:

I think you're overthinking It, If it's lossless there is no compression, you won't hear any discernible difference ripping elsewhere. 

I use foobar2000. Once you understand the UI, it's about as easy as WMP to rip a CD to FLAC, but the UI is really weird because it's totally customizable.

8 hours ago, duybeeGAshantiGA said:

CDs wont last forever. I am not also good at keeping my CDs since the weather and humidity levels here where I live are ****. So I 1. want to rip so I can have the lossless files forever 2. The sound quality of streaming services cant compared to CD files/lossless files that were ripped from CDs.

I don't buy CDs, I stream lol

Apple Music is in lossless quality and you can make Spotifiy quality higher by setting Audio Quality to very high and turning of normalize audio you immediately hear the difference and it sounds  the same as CD

Edited by Into The Void

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.