'The Lion King' Returning to Theaters for 30th Anniversary

BorderBoy

Walt Disney Animation Studios' "The Lion King" returns to theaters next month in honor of the film's 30th anniversary.

"The Lion King" will return to theaters beginning on July 12, 2024.

The film was first released on June 15, 1994. It was directed by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff from a screenplay by Irene Mecchi, Jonathan Roberts, and Linda Woolverton. Songs were written by Elton John and Tim Rice and the score was composed by Hans Zimmer. Loosely inspired by Shakespeare's "Hamlet," the film follows the young lion Simba (Jonathan Taylor Thomas and Matthew Broderick) as he deals with the death of his father, Mufasa (James Earl Jones), and his uncle, Scar (Jeremy Irons), takes over his kingdom. Simba is assisted by meerkat Timon (Nathan Lane), warthog Pumbaa (Ernie Sabella), and fellow lion Nala (Niketa Calame and Moira Kelly). Other characters include the mandrill Rafiki (Robert Guillaume), hornbill Zazu (Rowan Atkinson), Simba's mother Sarabi (Madge Sinclair), and the hyenas (Whoopi Goldberg, Cheech Marin, and Jim Cummings).

It was followed by direct-to-video sequels "The Lion King II: Simba's Pride" (1998) and "The Lion King 1½" (2004). There have been two spin-off TV shows: "The Lion King's Timon & Pumbaa" (1995 – 1999) and "The Lion Guard" (2015 – 2019).

WDW News Today

Time to make this masterpiece finally reach 1B at the box office :clap3:

:smitten:

This is one of the very first films I remember actually watching. I owe it to my younger self to be able to experience this in a theater. I'm sure I'll still love it just as much as I always have! :celestial:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.