What is your favourite song not in 4/4?

mercurialworld

When we think of music, the majority of songs we hear on the radio or see topping the charts tend to follow a familiar 4/4 time signature. This time signature, also known as "common time", involves four beats per measure, creating a consistent and steady rhythm that we've all grown accustomed to. But some songs break this mold; examples are Carly Rae Jepsen's "I'll Be Your Girl", having a time signature of 3/4, and 5/4 by Gorillaz, being in, well, 5/4.

What is your favourite song that goes against the traditional 4/4 time signature? :khalyan:

A uniquely, uncommonly-structured song in 5/4. Mr. Dessner ate and Taylor slid onto the instrumental perfectly.

6/8, gorgeous song :jonny5:

3/4

Adding some Lana in here :jonny5:

• Thanks 1

Not sure if it's my all time favourite, but it was the first one that came to mind when I saw the thread title.

• Thanks 1

one i can think of off the top of my head

• Thanks 1

but my all-time favorite is this, probably

• Thanks 1

oh I can think of plenty

this^ incredibly underrated and gorgeous Sara Bareilles song has a chorus whose time signature is 5/4 followed by a measure of 6/8. if you want to really be insane about it? you could say it's 11/8, though I wouldn't! lol

Kate's madwoman symphony moves from 3/4 to 4/4 to 2/4. count the refrain "some say that knowledge is something sat-a in your lap!" from 20 seconds in: it's two measures of 4/4 followed by a measure of 2/4! 

one of my favorite Everything Everything songs, a beautiful ballad in a relatively uptempo 6/8, unusual but incredibly smooth and sturdy at the same time!

separating art from artist here :/ but I love this song so much and the verses consist of a measure of 4/4 followed by a measure of 5/4, you could also say 9/4!

an indie classic! it's in a free time signature, I honestly don't even know how to count it lol

this song is in 29/8 (a bar of 6/8, 2 bars of 7/8, and a bar of 9/8 to cap it off)... f*cking INSANE!

and of course some more Kate lol, Wuthering Heights has a chorus that goes from 4/4 to 2/4 to 3/4 to 4/4 again!

• Thanks 1

probably something on Bjork´s Biophilia

I´m great with lyrics, and knowing where adlibs and backing vocals come in, but I don´t have an ear for time signature; many songs posted here are surprises to me :skull:

my fav Taylor song OAT

Latch

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.