Does Taylor finally compare to Madonna?

Lagerfeld

With the rise of Taylor, many publications are calling her "the next MJ", and "bigger than Madge". It seems that TAYLOR is ubiquitous at the moment.

Does she finally compare with the former queen of pop?

TQJGFze9Wd6fjvr1Uh.webp 

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 6

WTF lmao

Nope, and never going to.

• Like 6

b965e31db76006de8c12d09d8a87ded4.jpg

Never have, never will. She's not even comparable to legend Shania Twain 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lagerfeld said:

at the moment.

Exactly. Let's wait to see if her reign (at this level) lasts before comparing her to Madonna.

I believe she's as big as, or even bigger than, Madonna in the US. She could be this generation's Madonna in terms of success. This doesn't mean she's as big or bigger than Madonna was at her peak in the '80s, but right now, Taylor has no competition. So, in terms of relative success, she's totally comparable to Madonna

Taylor Swift has achieved immense commercial success and anybody saying she isn't at least at Madonna's level in that regard is delusional.

Nobody remembers Madonna for how many weeks at #1 she spent though, it was the way she completely changed pop culture and became the holotype for female pop artists that everybody, including Taylor Swift, emulates to some degree. This comparison is insulting to Madonna and always will be. Taylor got to the top by making safe choices and intentionally trying to have the broadest appeal, Madonna did damn near the opposite and shifted trends and caused major social discourse frequently for the first 2 decades of her career.

There are plenty of all time best selling artists who do not have the cultural cache Madonna has and are not revered in the same way and Taylor Swift is following more in their footsteps.

Edited by Sheep
  • Thanks 3

I'm just gonna quote what I posted in another thread:

On 6/14/2024 at 4:43 PM, Virgos Groove said:

Taylor is an undeniable phenomenon, but the Madonna comparisons will always seem wrong to me.

Madonna became the biggest female artist in the world despite continuously pissing off conservatives. This is the woman who, after signing a $60M contract, released a coffee-table book about her deepest sexual fantasies and an album full of 6-minute house/NJS songs about sex, homophobia and the AIDS epidemic. :deadbanana4:

Madonna obviously paid attention to the charts and what was hapenning in pop culture, but she was never afraid to piss off her own fanbase. Taylor, on the other hand, calculates every move with the aim to be as liked by as many people as possible. And nobody is saying she shouldn't do that (well, I am, but anyways...). Still, let's not compare her to artists who actually took risks and broke new ground. The Celine and "Barbra but with less talent" takes are spot-on.

(And before any of you starts quoting me, no, releasing 25 variants of an album does not count as pissing off your own fanbase.)

Madonna's legacy is far bigger than her (impressive) numbers. Call me when Taylor releases an In This Life or a Justify My Love.

Edited by Virgos Groove
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Imagine Taylor releasing this :deadbanana: Even in 2024

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

spacer.png

I mean she's commercially successful just like Madonna was in the 80s…

Do what you want with that information.

No and never will. 

Mad No Way GIF by Madonna

• Thanks 1

How many times is this thread going to be made? The answer was no the last 10 times, and it's still no. :coffee2:

Edited by Frogger17

This is the problem with T Swift stans. Taylor Swift has the sales and the success but she is a superstar that don't scream or embody Superstar. Nothing about Taylor Swift persona and music screams this larger than life entity that Y'all and the machines keep trying to push. MJ and Madonna impact are not just based on sales. Beyonce who sells less than Taylor is one of the artist that embodies the larger than life persona and the more polarizing one. Y'all ain't ready to have that conversation though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Her cheap tactics have ruined any credibility she has ever had. When she realises she has ruined the concept of charts and in doing so has tarnished own previous records- conjuring her own demise, I wonder what she will do. 

• Thanks 1

A good measure of how legendary artist is is if they are recognisable by their first name alone. You say Michael, Mariah, Whitney, Bruce, Elvis, Britney, Dolly, Elton, Lana, Tina, Stevie, and everyone knows exactly who you're talking about (and I'm not including artists who already go by one name e.g. Madonna/Prince/Beyoncé). The name Taylor alone means NOTHING.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Another minute, another Taylor thread.

She keeps the lights on at ATRL HQ, that's for sure.

No. Madonna had an edge; she went against the status quo; she took risks, broke down barriers, had impact, changed the landscape for pop music, and was an advocate! Taylor could never be or do those things because she's the exact opposite. The embodiment of the status quo avoids risks like the plague, does nothing for the world other than ruining our planet, and is silent on important matters.

Madonna didn't give a f*ck about what people said about her. She advocated for the 2SLGBTQIA+ community when they were stigmatised during the HIV/AIDS crisis. She was also a true feminist and advocated for minorities. Her activism was real and from the bottom of her heart, and I applaud her for that. It literally inspired many pop artists today to speak up about social issues and politics.

Taylor does nothing to help others and only cares about herself, money, and fame. She's silent on issues that actually matter (Palestine, Congo, Sudan, Ukraine, etc.). She also does the bare minimum with politics by telling others to vote without specifying who to vote for. She knows some of her fans are MAGA, and some of her fans support Biden's policies on Israel and Palestine, but she will stay silent because she doesn't care or doesn't want to lose money.

Also, Madonna shifted the course of pop history and paved the way for women in pop music. What impact does Taylor have other than ruining the environment by flying in her jet and releasing 58 variants in order to block female artists?

Madonna was talented and could put on a show! Taylor is pretty much bad at everything and is the poster child of white mediocrity (the fact that she's compared to Michael Jackson and Beyoncé is scary!).

I found this quote from reddit and it stuck with me.

I swear going from Madonna to Taylor is like going from Roe vs Wade to Roe Vs Wade being ripped away from us at the hands of the psychotic Supreme Court of the United States. This is the world we live in 🤦‍♀️

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, itshyolee said:

spacer.png

I mean she's commercially successful just like Madonna was in the 80s…

Do what you want with that information.

You cannot compare commercial success from back then to now. Madonna didn't have 37 versions of the same album in order to produce the numbers that she did. 

• Thanks 1