Terrible lyrics from TTPD: a compilation

NEX

4 minutes ago, NEX said:

Oh no, you criticised the variants with *minimal resistance*. How honourable of you and the rest of the fanbase for the minimal pushback. 

Also, do I have to post the lyrics of an entire song to point out how bad that one line in it might be? What kind of argument is that. Certain lines don't work no matter the context. They are terrible lines no matter how hard you can try to defend them. I could never make this thread about Folklore because there were virtually no bad lines on it. She snapped on that album. On this album she tried really hard to snap even harder, but ended up sounding like a parody of herself. This is honestly her worst written album that makes Lover look Shakespearean. I get it, it's new and you all feel attacked by the media and every other fanbase on a daily basis, so you rally behind its success, that's why any criticism of its quality hurts so bad, but it is what it is I'm sorry to say. I can still love Taylor's music and be critical of this album without the need to be told to touch the grass, having my reading comprehension questioned, being called an OTH or a lifeless twink. 

See, this is where you are wrong. Nobody is telling you you should love TTPD, and I couldn't care less if you didn't. However, you are out here trying to act like you're spreading the gospel and trying to make the people who do like it see the light. Just because you tell people a line is bad 1) doesn't make it bad and 2) won't change their mind if they like the music anyway. So what is your point in this thread? What are you trying to achieve? If anything other than ranting because people love an album you obviously don't...

You can't even actually discuss what you are trying to say in this thread. @Cruel Summer made a post in complete good faith to discuss your opinion on some of the lines. Yet you haven't been able to respond to it, and just gave it an "haha" react. Meanwhile, your whole argument for most line is "I don't even need to discuss it". Bffr. 

• Like 9

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NEX

• Klein

• dirrtydiana

• Badgalbriel

ngl there's something very funny when you read them isolated like that, i giggled more than i should at some of them  

• Like 1

The parasocial relationship OTHs like the OP have with Taylor needs to be studied and treated because it is not healthy.  

If you don't like an artist, why spend hours of your day focusing on them?  

Edited by byzantium
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Thumbs Down 1

Her discography really is dogshit, isn't it?

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Down 2

3 minutes ago, byzantium said:

The parasocial relationship OTHs like the OP have with Taylor needs to be studied and treated because it is not healthy.  

If you don't like an artist, why spend hours of your day focusing on them?  

Her haters are more obsessed with her than her own fans. It's crazy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The golden retriever line is genuinely one of the worst lines ever in pop music :skull: 

8 minutes ago, LoveInStereo said:

I like the album but there are a few dud lyrics. The worst has to be "I'm so depressed I act like it's my birthday - everyday". Even if somebody could (I've asked around & nobody can) explain to me what tf that's supposed to mean, it's downright stupid. Maybe it's the delivery. 1st listen, random but sure. Progressively with more plays, it's become more & more aggravating to the point I don't put the song on anymore. It's painfully childish, can't take it seriously

I think this song is just supposed to be tongue in cheek, her playful delivery works well with the lyrics here IMO. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Klein said:

See, this is where you are wrong. Nobody is telling you you should love TTPD, and I couldn't care less if you didn't. However, you are out here trying to act like you're spreading the gospel and trying to make the people who do like it see the light. Just because you tell people a line is bad 1) doesn't make it bad and 2) won't change their mind if they like the music anyway. So what is your point in this thread? What are you trying to achieve? If anything other than ranting because people love an album you obviously don't...

You can't even actually discuss what you are trying to say in this thread. @Cruel Summer made a post in complete good faith to discuss your opinion on some of the lines. Yet you haven't been able to respond to it, and just gave it an "haha" react. Meanwhile, your whole argument for most line is "I don't even need to discuss it". Bffr. 

There's not a single sentence in the entirety of Cruel Summer's post that was worth addressing. It was nothing but "this line is fine", "that line is taken out of context". But it was made it good faith instead of personal attacks like your posts, that's why I reacted with a laugh. Please also notice how the rest of you already mobilised to paint me as an OTH both in this thread and the album thread (even though you all know better than that) because that's the only way you can deal with criticism. 

Edited by NEX
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

It's so obvious she googles synonyms too, she's not very eloquent in the interviews I watched and speaks like the most basic American white girl ever. But it works I guess, her fans seem to think that more big words and useless metaphors means better writing and we just don't ''get it''. Those same people call Joni, Fiona etc ''overrated'' and ''Khias that we have to google'' too.

Edited by Atlantis
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

55 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

Literally none of these are bad enough in the actual context of each song to make a thread about it. 

So you actually think the Charlie Puth and Golden Retriever lines are good? :skull: 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

Comprehension isn't your forte is it? 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

I personally think Taylor over exaggerates and knows how ridiculous some of the lines can be. I think it's on character and on purpose for this particular record. She's no Joanna Newsom that's for sure, so sometimes when she uses some metaphors and more complex words it just falls flat and overthought. They may lack in rhythm and the sounds don't make sense together. The rhyming scheme is also mostly at the end lol  As a comparison with Newsom, who usually employs different figures of speech, writing techniques and rhyming schemes, enriching the narrative and fitting the music:

Spoiler
And, Emily, I saw you last night by the river
I dreamed you were skipping little stones across the surface of the water
Frowning at the angle where they were lost, and slipped under forever
In a mud-cloud, mica-spangled, like the sky'd been breathing on a mirror

Anyhow, I sat by your side, by the water
You taught me the names of the stars overhead that I wrote down in my ledger
Though all I knew of the rote universe were those Pleiades loosed, in December
I promised you I'd set them to verse so I'd always remember

That the meteorite is a source of the light
And the meteor's just what we see
And the meteoroid is a stone that's devoid of the fire that propelled it to thee

And the meteorite's just what causes the light
And the meteor's how it's perceived
And the meteoroid's a bone thrown from the void that lies quiet in offering to thee

It always baffles me when people call Tay a poet, because the words by themselves just don't cut as in good poetry. Her way with melodies is actually her biggest catch, and along with the words is what makes imo her work resonate so much. No wonder since she is a pop singer after all. She's doing it right. TPPD may lack in melodies at spots and the production lets it down, so understandably the words take center stage and they can be hit or miss.

Edited by liquiddiamonds
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NEX said:

There's not a single sentence in the entirety of Cruel Summer's post that was worth addressing. It was nothing but "this line is fine", "that line is taken out of context". But it was made it good faith instead of personal attacks like your posts, that's why I reacted with a laugh. Please also notice how the rest of you already mobilised to paint me as an OTH both in this thread and the album thread (even know you all know better than that) because that's the only way you can deal with criticism. 

Avoiding the other part of my answer I see. Again. 

So, what you're telling me is that interacting with Cruel Summer's post was not worth it because they just said "this line is fine"? How does that stack up against "...... ...... ......", "girl what?", "facepalm", "no explanation needed", etc.? 

Keep posting yourself as a victim because people disagree with you when you're saying TTPD is a terrible album because how could someone possibly have a different opinion than yours? You call yourself a Swiftie? Maybe there is some truth in the victim complex narrative of the fanbase after all. 

• Like 3

5-7 I don't agree with. They're cute.

12. is such a powerful lyric.

16. idk this one scratches an itch for me. 

otherwise I agree

25 minutes ago, The Music Industry said:

You could quite literally isolate lyrics for any album by any pop girl and make a similar thread, yet ATRL is acting as if this somehow gags :rip:

Most certainly and absolutely not because not every mpg is claimed to be this avant songwriter and GOAT by their fans.

OT: wbk she's not all that when it comes to lyrics (especially recently) but I could easily look past that if it wasn't for how unappealing and uninteresting her voice and production are. To me everything she's but out after ikywt sounds the same

No offense OP but thank you for exposing yourself. Now your opinions in the album thread make a lot more sense for a supposed fan :deadbanana2: I can't believe you typed this post with a straight face :dies:

I'm actually tempted to copypasta some of your explanations from this thread omg it gets more hilarious as I read it again :dies: I genuinely hope you're not trolling and this is a functionning brain's output!

Edited by Mandalore
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 3

Oh god she's horrible

• Thumbs Down 1

Damn. One of the worst songwriters of all time.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Thank you for letting us know those downvotes bothered you this much. I'll make sure to downvote your posts more often!

• Haha 8

I might get dragged for this but she is a very average lyricist overall. Her team decided to market her at a songwriter early on because she can't sing, perform, dance, etc so it was the best look. 

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 2

Half of those lyrics are form TTPD (title track). The other half is genuinely great.

I've learnt to love most of TTPD, but I have to agree with almost everything in the OP.

swifties are unhinged but taylor haters are obsessed like idk which is worse...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NEX said:

You know how to ball, I know Aristotle

:bibliahh:

Ever since I heard the "sexy baby" and "cat purring in my lap" lyrics I had kept thinking of how cringe she is. I should've really paid attention first when she had the spelling is fun moment, but I let it slide coz I literally thought only kids listened to her back then. These made me go wtf haha, I'm sure most of our girls could be cringe out of context :heart: it's not that serious

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.