Companies blasted for supporting Pride last year appear to have pulled back in 2024

Jotham

• Bud Light, the biggest boycott target last year for its brief marketing partnership with transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney, has not mentioned Pride Month on social media and has instead promoted its partnership with the Ultimate Fighting Championship and MMA fighter Dustin Poirier.
  • Nike, also targeted last year for advertisements in which Mulvaney modeled a sports bra and leggings, has not made a Pride post on Instagram yet despite posting an advertisement for its annual "Be True" Pride merchandise on June 1 last year (Nike's "Be True" website still only references its 2023 collection, and there is only one "Be True" shirt available for purchase on its online store).
  • Target, which already said it would scale back its Pride merchandise collection this year after sparking backlash last year, has not posted for Pride on its Facebook, X or Instagram accounts.
  • The North Face previously garnered pushback for its "Summer of Pride" event series in 2022 and 2023 in partnership with drag queen Pattiegonia, but it made no announcement of the event this year and it does not appear to have released a Pride collection online as in previous years (though it did make a celebratory Pride post on Instagram).

Read more

Rainbow capitalism will always be conditional.

• Like 6

FuBlPzqaEAYKdrs_800x.jpg

• Haha 9

we need to call out the companies that are not changing their logos for pride month tbh, i've seen a lot of them not doing it this year 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, shyboi said:

we need to call out the companies that are not changing their logos for pride month tbh, i've seen a lot of them not doing it this year 

make a tweet

• Haha 1

Gays are not drinking beer no matter how hard they try 

• Haha 1

So far, this month has felt a lot more chill and less cringe and annoying than it usually does. :clack:

• Like 1

We don't need fake allies anyway. 

• Thanks 1

Both leftists and conservatives hate it. So they win and gays lose either way.

• Like 1

I feel so mixed on this tbh, because I never saw the need for companies to plaster everything with rainbows, if anything it was kind of embarrassing, like not many queer folks I know are wearing their Old Navy pride tees. On the other hand it emboldens conservatives (globally) and gives them a proven strategy to target businesses with very aggressive methods and they know they will cave under the pressure. This wont stop at rainbow beer bottles and trim on sneakers, they will start targeting more important allies with similar tactics. 

• Like 10

It has always been performative for profit and image

So no big loss

• Like 1

I can't believe that we are still dealing with homophobia in 2024. :shakeno:

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Good, and they should keep it that way until they manage to make a rainbow inspired product that actually looks cute to buy 

• Haha 1

I can't believe I am defending a corporation but here we are. If they do pro LGBT stuff even LGBT people constantly drag them for being fake performative and cringe and all that. And then the right attacks for obvious reasons. Now that they don't change logos people are mad? Besides the obvious scandals that caused hurt profits it is obvious a part of it has also significantly slowed down because even those in support go LGBT matters hate on them for it :skull: Why would many bother supporting it when y'all **** on them for it unless they have a personal involvement now?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, If U Seek Amy said:

I can't believe I am defending a corporation but here we are. If they do pro LGBT stuff even LGBT people constantly drag them for being fake performative and cringe and all that. And then the right attacks for obvious reasons. Now that they don't change logos people are mad? Besides the obvious scandals that caused hurt profits it is obvious a part of it has also significantly slowed down because even those in support go LGBT matters hate on them for it :skull: Why would many bother supporting it when y'all **** on them for it unless they have a personal involvement now?

Seems like the users didn't even read the title of this thread 

• Thumbs Down 1

Good. Sick of the gay pandering these companies do every year for 1 month.

• Thumbs Down 1

Rainbow capitalism is over.  This is proof the gays are finally winning. 

• ATRL Moderator

I’m okay with that. There was something so insidious about a corporation selling Pride merch to get our coins and then donate money to anti-LGBTQ+ politicians that deny us of civil rights. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, If U Seek Amy said:

This.

Western gays are so annoying and entitled with their constant criticism of everything. As an LGBTQA+ member from the Middle East where pride isn't celebrated and is condemned , I enjoyed seeing corporations change their logo to a rainbow and seeing the homophobes seethe. At the core of it, it was a public display of where these brands that homophobes can't live without stood, and it was NOT with them. Sure, there is a conversation to be had about pink washing and the brand's authenticity with their stance, but people overlook the benefits of their "pandering" to the powerless LGBTQA+ members in oppressed parts of the world.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Weld_E said:

This.

Western gays are so annoying and entitled with their constant criticism of everything. As an LGBTQA+ member from the Middle East where pride isn't celebrated and is condemned , I enjoyed seeing corporations change their logo to a rainbow and seeing the homophobes seethe. At the core of it, it was a public display of where these brands that homophobes can't live without stood, and it was NOT with them. Sure, there is a conversation to be had about pink washing and the brand's authenticity with their stance, but people overlook the benefits of their "pandering" to the powerless LGBTQA+ members in oppressed parts of the world.

I absolutely enjoy seeing the homophobes seething and losing it in the comments section of these brands/football clubs/etc as well, but I don't think it does any good for us tbh. Purely performative and empty acts. It always results in more crackdown on the local LGBTQA+ community and a new wave of hatred and cyberbullying. Not to mention how many of them will drop us like a hot potato at the slightest sign of public pressure. Or even worse, several brands will change their layouts to a pride-inspired one everywhere but the Middle East/other conservative countries (:dies: because their activism is only motivated by public relations, not principles and genuine care for the community. If they truly cared, they would have maybe donated to local organizations, activists, and creators to help them fight this.

I guess the only positive thing is this public display of where they "stand" like you said.

• Thanks 4

Only childish and gullible ppl believed them in the first place

@ the companies:

tumblr_miilz7gJLU1r6teipo1_400.gif

19 hours ago, Kimbra said:

Both leftists and conservatives hate it. So they win and gays lose either way.

11 hours ago, If U Seek Amy said:

This seems... completely dishonest and I'm not shocked at who is being dishonest.

No one has ever complained about megastores, food and beverage companies, etc. participating in pride.

The criticism has largely been about LGBT support being used to try and brandish companies as progressive despite their intent and existence not being so.

See: Lockheed Martin participating in pride. :deadbanana4: Banks and credit card companies. Police departments. The military. 

You're ironically giving into and support right-wingers' framing, because the other half of the conversation has been right-wingers going "LGBTQ people aren't oppressed, they have _________", whether it be media representation, gay pride seltzers or rainbow AMEX card designs  (:rip:), and the actual leftist argument being that media representation, while good, cannot replace material progress, which should be the actual aim for queer people. Income equality.

It seems you rather give credence to right-wingers' views on representation mattering most (and thus giving them the satisfaction we've apparently lost something) rather than acknowledge leftists were right about the fickle behavior of pink capital. Rainbow beer koozie or not, LGBTQ people are still disproportionately at risk of experiencing homelessness, being poor, lacking healthcare, etc.

Edited by Communion

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.