If Olivia Comes with Pop Rock for her Next Album is Over for her?

AvadaKedavra

Singing pop rock and being a songwriter has earned Olivia a lot of respect and credibility with the GP-The Industry. This has helped her build a loyal fanbase and gain critical acclaim. (The critics/old music legends)

olivia-rodrigo-winning-grammys.jpg

However, we see that pop rock, despite appearing on the charts with artists like Hozier, Billie Eilish, and Benson Boone, doesn't have the same power as before?? Been losin so much traction Worldwide.
Disco music still holds a lot of power when if we talk about Smash Hits,and Synthpop too
Country and R&B/urban-hip hop music are also very popular today

The pop rock wave of 2021 seemed more like a fleeting trend-fluke than something consistent??????
We also have SABRINA, CHAPPEL ROAN,TYLA,DOJA,TATE AND KATY  :eli: AND TAYLOR

Bringin fun camp music to the top of the charts soon??.
So say bye bye to another pop rock revival?
I honestly feel like the charts will get uptempo in the new few years and less serious
And there's Rihanna too. She could shift entirelly the charts to something hotter

ab67706c0000da844ed887945d3b23098b58268c

Olivia's album did well, but her song "Obsessed"underperformed on the charts.
Many people are also tired of "Guts" being so similar to "Sour," even though the album is very good.
Many want her to reinvent herself more. 
I personally believe that if she comes out with another similar album to GUTS-SOUR, it could be quite destructive. :giraffe:
And i dont know why but something in my gut is telling me Olivia could have her Good Girl Gone Bad Era?? in the future :gaycat2:

We also can't ignore that we now have Sabrina Carpenter dominating, the blonde girl who always made Olivia feel insecure.
Sabrina shows no signs of slowing down and is supported by Olivia's worst nightmare, Taylor Swift.
Now Olivia has a nemesis in the Game. 

Sabrina is a blonde, blue-eyed girl and has everything to appeal to white Americans and white female teens, the largest demographic group in the United States.

Olivia, being an Asian artist, finds it much more challenging to keep a loyal fanbase. Despite what people say, POC artists have a harder time maintaining that loyal target audience. :gaycat6: :emofish:

Does anyone here feel that if Olivia continues in her pop rock-pop punk lane, she will get the respect of the industry but become another Avril Lavigne?
Iconic but with diminishing returns, eventually falling to the bottom of the charts????

Personally, I want her to explore synthpop,dancepop.....folk,hyperpop,urban?. So many different things
I feel like GUTS was her Speak Now and is time for her RED. 
The Songwriting thing is Pivotal to her Artistry of course.

What do you think?
Do you want Olivia to remain a rock chanteuse, or do you want her to reinvent herself?
If she releases another heavy rock album in the tone of GUTS are u here for that? maybe some indie rock? i dont know

tenor.gif

Edited by AvadaKedavra

She can always crave a little niche fanbase with that pop-rock sound but I've always thought the main reason GUTS only seemed to find success in the Anglosphere was the lack of ballads. She literally blew up with one and all the ballads on SOUR have crazy streams. She seems happier now tho so I won't be shocked if her next album reflects that, always felt like she released for the arts and not the charts anyway

I want her to promote either love is embarrassing or so american as her next single just to see how the GP reacts to new wave music. They're the most recent songs she's written. I think that's what OR3 will sound like, or maybe we'll get a folk-pop/folk-rock album like what Noah Kahan has released. Both genres would be a natural progression from GUTS.

I'd hate for her to do a complete 180 by switching to synth-pop just because it's trendy.

What would you do if when you okay so he said yes would go?

Edited by stochastic

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Billionaire said:

She can always crave a little niche fanbase with that pop-rock sound but I've always thought the main reason GUTS only seemed to find success in the Anglosphere was the lack of ballads. She literally blew up with one and all the ballads on SOUR have crazy streams. She seems happier now tho so I won't be shocked if her next album reflects that, always felt like she released for the arts and not the charts anyway

i always wonder If they dont care about goin higher in the mainstream sense? like taylor? madonna?
They just want to release the music they feel like and thats it :giraffe:
Sometimes i feel like Billie see herself with  a Lana Del Rey type of career???? and thats ok i think. Healthier for her personal life. 

We are the ones creatin fake delusional expectations about their careers? LMFAO

i feel different about DUA. Im sure she cried about the lack of success of her new record :skull: :bibliahh:she has that ambitious attitude :gayrrycat1:

32 minutes ago, JoJo said:

I want her to promote either love is embarrassing or so american as her next single just to see how the GP reacts to new wave music. They're the most recent songs she's written. I think that's what OR3 will sound like, or maybe we'll get a folk-pop/folk-rock album like what Noah Kahan has released. Both genres would be a natural progression from GUTS.

I'd hate for her to do a complete 180 by switching to synth-pop just because it's trendy.

Love is embarassing is my fave from the record. Dont get why they went for Obssesed. :gaycat6: So american is real good too.

I would love Folk too. Im just scared of the GP gettin bored with her cause she doesnt have Bops :dancehall: here for Folky tunes and 3-4 strong pop songs.  

22 minutes ago, stochastic said:

What would you do if when you okay so he said yes would go?

:gayoncecat2:

Edited by AvadaKedavra

This Sabrina - Olivia thing everyone keeps trying to resurrect needs to die. Sabrina has six albums and no #1 hits. Olivia meanwhile has only two albums and three #1 debuts. So it seems like pop rock is working out quite well for Olivia. Not to mention Grammys etc. 

Please let this feud die. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, hawx23 said:

This Sabrina - Olivia thing everyone keeps trying to resurrect needs to die. Sabrina has six albums and no #1 hits. Olivia meanwhile has only two albums and three #1 debuts. So it seems like pop rock is working out quite well for Olivia. Not to mention Grammys etc. 

Please let this feud die. 

If they release at the same time it will be pushed sis.
Is inevitable :giraffe: like Gaga-katy.......Madonna-Cindy----Britney-Xtina---Rihanna,Beyonce....and more
The stans and the media is like that.

The best thing for Olivia is to release when Sabrina  and Taylor are resting.  To have all the Spotlight for herself :gaycat3:

The 2025 is perfect for her Third Record.
Taylor will probably have a time away from the frenzy and Sabrina/Billie will go on Tour :gaycat5:

Edited by AvadaKedavra

1 minute ago, AvadaKedavra said:

Is inevitable :giraffe: like Gaga-katy.......Madonna-Cindy----Britney-Xtina---Rihanna,Beyonce....and more

The best thing for Olivia is to release when Sabrina  and Taylor are resting.  To have all the Spotlight for herself :gaycat3:

I just feel like they're in two completely different paths. Olivia is in the middle of headlining a world Arena tour. I'm not sure Sabrina is doing that anytime soon. 

No and it's not the end of the world. If she wants to remain true to her narrative, she'll always have that niche of pop rock fans. 

But I doubt Olivia will stick with that sound. Now, seeing the local success of Chappell Roan, she'll probably jump 100% into pop music. :duck: 

GUTS > SOUR despite the charts. as long as she keeps evolving and growing and delivering good music, I don't care whether she scores cute little hits or global smashes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, AvadaKedavra said:

The 2025 is perfect for her Third Record.
Taylor will probably have a time away from the frenzy and Sabrina/Billie will go on Tour :gaycat5:

:coffee:  This kind of struck me as funny....does Taylor ever rest ?

i think if she leaned into a Everything Is Embarrassing by Sky Ferreira / Blood Orange type of sound, it would work really well for her and her career.

not only would be a more mature approach to her current sound, but it would also be well digested by her current audience, imo. 

Well, no. Not every female artist needs to jump from genre niche to genre niche. If an artist enjoys a particular soundscape, they should not feel pressured to jump to another just because they have other albums already in that sound. 

pop rock is her brand and common practice for niche recognition. plus she success with the genre and its sub-division sound of pop rock is quite various branch into more synthpop, alt-rock or even new romantic. she wont ditch it because they are so many options to play with its genre and one two dance pop tracks wont hurt her career.

guts was good but unfortunately yes. pop rock isnt relevant anymore

well, chapell roan herself has a fair share of rock tracks and works with the same producer as olivia, and her music is growing stronger by the day. i don't see why olivia would suddenly flop for releasing similar stuff, as long as it's good

• Thanks 2

She should go full pop tbh 

her Teenage Dream is coming 

Something tells me she'll be a flash in the pan moment in history if her next song doesn't hit big. She isn't even mainstream enough and yall already comparing her to Kay Perry?  Wow. But I wish her well. 

Edited by terrijoe

I think she has it in her to evolve. She had potential with vocals too. 
But she needs to not take so long making albums. 

Shes smart. She capitalized on SOUR's momentum with Guts while still taking considerable risks. It was a good business decision considering this is only her second album.

I think she will probably drop some more one off / standalone singles in the coming months (similar to what Billie did with Guitar Songs after HTE) to see how the public reacts to them and kinda base her album off of that. She could definitely lean more into the folk / country route.

The moment she releases an Espresso-like song, it's over for the other girls

I want her a fun pop album from her, serving sexy-ness ala Teenage Dream. I really thought her second album would be doing 10s pop tbh, rather than doubling down on the pop rock trend

But she is over already. The hype coming off her debut era has proven a massive shrinkage in popularity, she needed a follow up smash to fully cement her status, her third album will do even worse than the current one. She lacks star power and overall talent. 

She never gave me an authentic pop-rockstar vibe; it feels more like cosplay. She could get away with releasing one (1) more pop-rock album, but afterward, it's time to move on. There's been a lot of anticipation for a pop album from Miss Rodrigo so let's see what happens next.

Everyone always used to compare her to Taylor but she really reminded me more of Katy Perry in OOTB era. I don't know if she will ever decide to make her Teenage Dream type of pop album. I doubt she would be able to make that with her current producers so who should she work with? Max? 

NO JACK 

Edited by Paultea

Why would she be over? She's built a fanbase with rock/pop-rock. Her fanbase will enjoy the next record if it's still rock. All she needs is to change the formula a little bit. GUTS' rock is, in most cases, less accessible than SOUR (and those artists you've mentioned), which is why it struggled to see success with its singles (ignoring the part where her team completely screwed up everything with bir/ghb. A better team would've given her more hits out of GUTS without a doubt). 

She's a massive artist. She's capable of debuting at #1 and sell millions despite the lack of hits WHILE doing acclaimed rock music. She doesn't need to go fun camp pop only because Sabrina Carpenter is doing it and it's working for her. 

However, she's young and I doubt she will remain with rock forever when she's so big. But even if she decides to change her sound, I doubt it's gonna be some basic pop. 

For her next era, if she remains exploring rock, she would need to distance herself from the SOUR/GUTS image. Everyone complained the visuals were too similar, which I agree and the sound is too to a certain degree. But there are SO MANY THINGS she can try within rock that it would be a shame if she left it already. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.