Can musicians truly have cultural/musical impact/influence if they're not 'popular'?

Wicked

this specific series of tweets is SO funny like girl keep that hammer and sickle OUT of your username until you can produce a series of hit tweets on the social function of art :bam:

Spoiler

but tbh this whole "expert knowledge/criticism actually doesn't exist and/or is inferior to non-expert opinion" attitude is so widespread online it's genuinely alarming :/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People give Charli too much credit when in reality it was Sophie who shaped and curated her sound 

6 minutes ago, fromily said:

this specific series of tweets is SO funny like girl keep that hammer and sickle OUT of your username until you can produce a series of hit tweets on the social function of art :bam:

Hide contents

but tbh this whole "expert knowledge/criticism actually doesn't exist and/or is inferior to non-expert opinion" attitude is so widespread online it's genuinely alarming :/

I don't know how to say that without sounding pretentious, but there's absolutely such a thing as... well, not knowing enough to be giving wide sweeping opinions. And yeah I find it amusing an alleged anticapitalist looks to the market to validate art. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Cloröx said:

People give Charli too much credit when in reality it was Sophie who shaped and curated her sound 

Yes, Charli was a middleman but she saw a smaller artist and gave her a platform. SOPHIE's impact wouldn't have been the same without Charli. Facts.

I think there's a big misconception about popularity tbh. Charli IS a popular artist. Even if she doesn't score #1s she's still more popular than 99% of all musicians that have ever existed.

The existence of megastars like Taylor/Bey has warped our understanding of popularity

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Wicked said:

I don't know how to say that without sounding pretentious, but there's absolutely such a thing as... well, not knowing enough to be giving wide sweeping opinions. And yeah I find it amusing an alleged anticapitalist looks to the market to validate art. 

oh yeah absolutely :flower2:

• Like 1

Popular artists take inspiration from lesser known artists all the time. My flop fave literally inspired Billie Eilish to begin her career

Yes, mainstream artists get inspired by underground/lesser known artists all the time because they're the ones actually innovating and taking risks, the GP will probably say they don't have any impact because they haven't heard of them and attribute that innovation to the mainstream artists, but at the end of the day they're just the public, they don't have any involvement in the creative process so they don't know all of the inspiration that happens behind the scenes

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952ah06v4im0rs8p2vwr3

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.