Tyla explains her race

illia

GP-YjnFWIAAAjDJ?format=jpg&name=large

It all started after this video:

Edited by illia
  • Thumbs Down 1

Tyla has never said she wasn't black so I'm glad she cleared it up :clap3:Now let's all stream Jump

• Like 6

Isnt Tyla very young? like 18 or something? i feel like that such a loaded question for someone who doesn't know all the nuances of race and ethnicity classification in other parts of the world. That said, her statement was great! But for the Breakfast club clip...I feel like they were probably told not to approach this topic but still did it hence why she stayed dead silent. idk

I love her.

It's so interesting how different parts of the world view race. Here in the U.S., it's not really about what you actually are... moreso people go by how you look and your features hence the term "white passing". Someone like Tyla looks AA to me but that's just me. I don't much about her tho.

I need this queen to become the bigger star the universe has ever seen asap :clap3:

she was tired of the coloured jokes lol

all messy roads lead back to Charlamagne and the breakfast club 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

The day people learn that blackness is not limited to one demographic and that the world is large and we're all culturally different is the day we all find peace. 

African people don't have to abide by any rules especially when Americans purposely refuse to educate themselves on our history. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

35 minutes ago, Paultea said:

all messy roads lead back to Charlamagne and the breakfast club 

I just know he's DL, I'm just waiting for the ultimate expose to come out! 

• Haha 3

Americans obsession with skin color needs to be studied they do the same with Puerto Ricans  and she didn't even have to explain herself :rip:

• Like 3

Americans completely misunderstood the South African definition of the word "coloured" and dragged her for using it. It was all very weird and she never did anything wrong.

I hate conversations about mixed race people and what part of their identity they should more closely align with. It's always coming from people who aren't mixed and act like any association with your white side is some kind of deep rooted self hate. Just let people be themselves 

• Like 1

Outside the US, there is nothing offensive about the word "colored." Most people in the world do not use the term at all. In South Africa, it refers to mixed race people who are black, white and Asian (usually Indian) mixed origins.

50 minutes ago, imabadkid said:

Someone like Tyla looks AA to me but that's just me. I don't much about her tho.

She can easily pass as South Asian, which her Indo-Mauritian father is. She can also be mistaken as a Latin American with black and indigenous origins too.

With her paternal grandparents, she looks like a South Indian with curly hair or like a typical Indo-Guyanese or Indo-Trinidadian family:

1709763438997-png.5663404

Edited by Inverted
  • Like 2

Very strange why her manager didnt want her to explain this during the interview. But maybe Charlemagne shouldnt have brought it up randomly. She was already kinda not comfortable during that interview

She says "I'm mixed with black/zulu, irish, mauritian/indian AND coloured". Is "coloured" a race of its own or did she mean to say "... therefore I'm coloured aka mixed"?

good for her but i won't expect people online to understand or change their tune.

There is NO way they didn't expect that question to be asked at the breakfast club????

3 hours ago, IBeMe said:

Isnt Tyla very young? like 18 or something? i feel like that such a loaded question for someone who doesn't know all the nuances of race and ethnicity classification in other parts of the world. That said, her statement was great! But for the Breakfast club clip...I feel like they were probably told not to approach this topic but still did it hence why she stayed dead silent. idk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, professor2000 said:

Ok this makes sense lol Charlamagne is such a lil b*tch. Tyla handled herself well though. Hopefully this doesn't turn her off doing more US radio shows. Most are not as messy as that man

• Like 1

Not sure why her team wasn't prepared for this. You can't come to the States and go on an urban radio show and not expect that question based on how she looks.

Her team should have simply told her to say she is a "woman of color" which is a catch all and would have diffused the whole thing.

• Thanks 3

Lol bold of anyone to assume Americans can get their heads out of their asses and look outside of their bubble for 1 second

• Like 2

She is black. It's not a bunch of north-Americans that has not clue about race literacy 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.