Nevada Democrats sue secretary of state and Green Party to block Jill Stein

GraceRandolph

The Democratic Party is escalating its attacks on third-party candidates in an effort to block any challenge to the two-party monopoly. On June 11, the campaign of Green Party candidate for US president, Dr. Jill Stein, reported that the Nevada State Democratic Party has sued the Nevada secretary of state and the Nevada Green Party, in an autocratic bid to keep Stein off the ballot.

Posting on X, Jason Call, the campaign manager for Stein, reported that the Democrats filed their lawsuit less than "24 hours" after the Green Party submitted some 29,500 signatures, nearly three times the 10,000 signatures required, to appear on the ballot. 

In a follow-up post, Call reported that the Democrats are "alleging that we did not have the required distribution among the 4 [Nevada] congressional districts—meaning that a minimum of 2,500 valid signatures must have come from each." 

Call added that the Democrats "are also going through the signature sheets and seeking to strike signatures for various reasons. Mostly they are trying to tie up our resources so we can't put them elsewhere. It's a Wal-Mart approach to overwhelming the competition."

Ballot access laws for third parties are different in every state. While the Democratic and Republican parties automatically appear on the ballot, third-party candidates are required to spend thousands (and sometimes millions) of dollars and countless hours to obtain tens of thousands of signatures to gain ballot access. Nearly every state requires the collection of a substantial number of petition signatures, and many also require specific minimum signature amounts from the various congressional districts in the state. Every state requires that the signatures be collected within a specific window of time, which can vary greatly, from a year or more to only a few weeks. In addition, most states mandate the naming of presidential electors from every congressional district.

Full article: https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2024/06/12/jxvj-j12.html

• Haha 1

Democracy is a facade. It's fake. The green party never stood a chance period, but they're not even being subtle about hiding the plutocratic system nowadays.

Not very democratic now is it? I'm so surprised that the capital D Democratic party would do something like this. Not like they rigged their primaries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's why the argument of not voting for fascism simply doesn't hold up. Many of the things people were scared of with a Republican administration are happening as we speak with a Dem president

also maybe if they were busy actually listening to voters rather than solely rich lobby groups they wouldn't be scared of some 3rd party 

• Like 7
  • Thumbs Down 2

• ATRL Moderator

Just a reminder not to post the entirety of an article in the OP. We don't want to infringe on a journalist's hard work. Please include just an excerpt and then direct people to the rest.

1 minute ago, supaspaz said:

Just a reminder not to post the entirety of an article in the OP. We don't want to infringe on a journalist's hard work. Please include just an excerpt and then direct people to the rest.

I didn't post the entire article.

• Haha 1

Good. She's a Russian asset. Should be in jail. 

4 minutes ago, 19SLAYty9 said:

Any definitive proof?

She's a total scam artist.

32 minutes ago, 19SLAYty9 said:

So you're saying to... "lock her up"? I thought only Trump said that?

4 minutes ago, The7thStranger said:

She's a total scam artist.

If she's a scam artist then what are Biden and Trump?

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

If she's a scam artist then what are Biden and Trump?

Show me in my post the exact location I mentioned Biden or Trump.

Jill Stein is a stupid *****. 

• Thumbs Down 1

DNC, the party of democracy everyone :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.