How Britney Created The Best Pop Album In History - Blackout

Lana Banana

spacer.png

• Confused 1

Blackout is overrated IMO. Her other albums (except BJ) are so much better.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great songs on Blackout…but there are also a handful of duds. It's my 2nd least favorite album from Britney.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Death & Decay said:

Blackout is overrated IMO. Her other albums (except BJ) are so much better.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great songs on Blackout…but there are also a handful of duds. It's my 2nd least favorite album from Britney.

This is simply about her journey to Blackout, the most important part - her being the executive producer, so this album is different. We also had an ANTI timeline thread - I also think that one is overrated so ¯\(ツ)/¯ 

9 minutes ago, CherryBay said:

spacer.png

Facts are facts America. If you have an attention span of a goldfish then ¯\(ツ)/¯ 

Lmao

17 hours ago, ericcartman said:

Lmao

?

We Stan the greatest album of all-time :clap3: Thanks for actually providing content about the music. ATRL doesn't have any of that anymore.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Eternium said:

We Stan the greatest album of all-time :clap3: Thanks for actually providing content about the music. ATRL doesn't have any of that anymore.

You're welcome. My pleasure and I agree. 

It really is the true Bible of Pop. Still fresh, cohesive and with no skips. :clap3:

Also I love the story behind the album (even tho her life was a mess at that time).

enjoyed reading that. was interested to see that she claimed credit for more lyrics early on than she eventually got and sounded a lot like she was imposing a lot of her own ideas on the project. i remember listening to this podcast a while back (another deep dive on blackout) which also believed that she was involved more in the creative side than she was given credit for.

i think they said that they thought that britney tended to be a people pleaser who often ended up letting other people take the credit for her ideas, tho i can also imagine that she could be bullied off of things too (this is good and worth a listen) 

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/pop-pantheon/id1556457357?i=1000626295476

She didn't "create" it. The credit goes to Danja, Bloodshy & Avant, Keri Hilson, etc... they're the ones who came up with those beats/songs. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bookmark99 said:

She didn't "create" it. The credit goes to Danja, Bloodshy & Avant, Keri Hilson, etc... they're the ones who came up with those beats/songs. 

no one said she created it. i said people have said that she was involved more in the creative side (lyrics and general scope of the album) than she was given credit for, which i can believe. it's an album that has a very distinct sound and someone had to pull that together and have a broader vision. she is executive producer of the album

It's a cute album but far from being the best pop album in history lol. 

Interesting read, I read some things I didn't know yet about the album.

The album is amazing, and my fave Britney album. I hope that if she ever makes another album it will be a Blackout-coded album. Same vein, same energy, same amount of bops.

On 6/12/2024 at 1:22 AM, Lana Banana said:

"Get Naked (I Got a Plan)"

Britney revealed that it is her favourite song she's ever released.

TASTE :clap:

The dig at Lindsay on her website :deadbanana2:

I miss 2000s messiness

On 6/13/2024 at 8:13 AM, makeawish said:

no one said she created it. i said people have said that she was involved more in the creative side (lyrics and general scope of the album) than she was given credit for, which i can believe. it's an album that has a very distinct sound and someone had to pull that together and have a broader vision. she is executive producer of the album

Exactly. Like Pitchfork said:

Britney Spears didn't write the lyrics for "Piece of Me", and you could say it's good art about Britney as much as good art by her. She's credited on Blackout as Executive Producer, which could mean anything, but it's hard to listen to the record and not credit her with a degree of agency. Eleven successive tracks of hard, defiant, envelope-pushing dance-pop may be exactly what I wanted from a Britney comeback, but on paper and on precedent you might have expected an apologetic ballad or two; a song about her kids, maybe; a high-profile guest star or a Neptunes track.

You don't get any of those things and I'd like to think Britney had the sense to avoid them herself. (Actually, there is a Neptunes track, but it's dreadful and it's at the end of the record so let's forget about it for now.) You might still look at the public Britney and see someone who can barely string a sentence together, but even so that sentence could have been "I want an album that doesn't sound like anyone else's." Or "I want an album that's basically untourable". Or "I want an album people can party and **** to." Or "I want an album with goofy voices my kids can imitate."

Blackout is credibly all of the above, which are aesthetic and strategic choices (and good ones too).

Spark Notes summary for the attention-span-deficient: an album like 'Blackout' is NOT what the industry typically would've created for Britney in her situation aka badly needing a well-received comeback album. And in fact, a year later once she was in the conservatorship, we DID get exactly the kind of album that you would think the industry would put together as damage control: return to her classic producers (Max Martin), ballads galore (Out from Under, Unusual You), song about her kids (My Baby), songs about female empowerment (Womanizer), etc.

Blackout stands in stark contrast to that and its choice of lyrics and sounds were very defiant coming from someone who was being lambasted for being an out of control party girl. She said "yes, and?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the Zone >>>>

15 hours ago, ALΞX said:

In the Zone >>>>

This is not a comparison though. I'll create an ITZ thread soon. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.