Will awards support Sabrina as much as Olivia/Billie?

thatsmydemi

Sabrina is having her breakthrough era with smash singles which remind me of driver's license/good 4 u and bad guy level of success. We all saw how well those eras and songs were received by critics and awards. Both Billie and Olivia got plenty of Grammy nominations for their singles/albums and even won despite being against known and respected artists.

Will Sabrina get the same support? Or will she get Katy Perry'd because of her music being fun pop? She's working with respected producers, so she may be playing her cards right to avoid Katy's fate with Grammys... thoughts? 

Edited by thatsmydemi

We'll have to wait for the reviews to see. Two years ago, I would've said yes, but poptimism isn't in full-swing anymore.

qd09F07.gif

Edited by Virgos Groove

i doubt it unfortunately. billie and olivia had the singer-songwriter, voice of a generation, modern day fiona apple/alanis morissette branding on their side. female pop stars like sabrina who make fun, "low brow" pop typically have to "pay their dues" and be hitmakers for years (see: miley, britney, madonna, katy, etc.) before getting their flowers.

• Like 5

Billie is much more awarded than Olivia. 

Sabrina isn't likely going to be quite as loved as Olivia and Billie since Grammys have less respect for fun pop. Her being a songwriter helps but the Grammy voters in the GF really doesn't award music just for being fun. 

But she is going to be nominated all across the pop field and  will have a great chance to win in  pop solo and pop album.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zweigson said:

i doubt it unfortunately. billie and olivia had the singer-songwriter, voice of a generation, modern day fiona apple/alanis morissette branding on their side. female pop stars like sabrina who make fun, "low brow" pop typically have to "pay their dues" and be hitmakers for years (see: miley, britney, madonna, katy, etc.) before getting their flowers.

For Miley and Madonna is was less about them paying their dues but them finally creating music that appealed to the Grammys voter.

In general, Grammy voters do not like love songs and prefer self empowerment songs or other songs with less "frivolous" subject matter.

She might receive moderate acclaim ala Ariana, good enough to be nominated but not great enough to win/sweep nominations.

It took Ari some time to win her first grammy and I can see the same thing happening with Sabrina.

• Like 3

Just now, gr33dy4Ari said:

She might receive moderate acclaim ala Ariana, good enough to be nominated but not great enough to win/sweep nominations.

It took Ari some time to win her first grammy and I can see the same thing happening with Sabrina.

I think Sabrina will be the weak favorite for pop solo since pop field loves awarding the big hits and expresso is the biggest pop hit this year excluding benson boone.

If she gets another smash, she will be competitive for pop album.

Chappell Roan vs Sabrina Carpenter for BNA I fear 

Just now, frankvert said:

Chappell Roan vs Sabrina Carpenter for BNA I fear 

Is she eligible? She will have 6 album by then :deadbanana2:

3 minutes ago, thatsmydemi said:

Is she eligible? She will have 6 album by then :deadbanana2:

]Album amount doesn't matter anymore. BNA is really Best Breakthrough Artist.

But it depends on how many times her team has submitted her in the past. They cap at 3 times so she is likely not eligibile.

Remember that this is the busiest year in music in a while. Billie, Taylor, and Dua, Ariana, and Beyoncé all released. I think Sabrina will get some noms and may be the favorite for Pop Solo, but she isn't in a position for a huge showing. 

She'll be win-competitive in the pop Grammy categories. In the General Field, the nominations will be the reward.

Amy Allen wrote both "Please Please Please" and "Espresso" and is an AOTY winner for her work on Harry's House. She deserves another Songwriter of the Year nomination. Not sure about Sabrina, maybe a pop nomination if there is room in the category after Charli xcx gets her noms.

she might get jack his third consecutive producer of the year award

Is she eligible for BNA? Afaik she was never up for a grammy which means she's "new" to them.

15 minutes ago, cat1867 said:

she might get jack his third consecutive producer of the year award

Are we sure he's the main producer of SNS? :biblio:

A literal nightmare if true 

• Haha 2

Next year is just too competitive. She has to face previous winners like Taylor, Billie, and Ariana, and I don't see her beating any of them. Espresso also is too fun and breezy for the Grammys to take seriously. Flowers at least had the message of self-love and independence after a breakup, which is a message that resonates with people. 

The only award I can see her winning is BNA, assuming that she's still eligible.

Her best chance is BNA if she's eligible.

I don't think so, they hate ex-Disney girls, Olivia was a fluke 

not until she starts releasing music that showcases her vocal talent (she's done it before, but I mean post-espresso)

She might take some awards for Espresso and few Grammy's nominations. I don't see her winning. But I'm glad if I'll be wrong about this. :bird:

I doubt it, her recent music is very Katy coded and we all know how that went + this year is hella competitive with Billie, Taylor, Bey & Ariana. She will get noms but I doubt she will win but anything can happen tbh.

3 hours ago, zweigson said:

Ya the Scammys usually reward sad girl music but they are kinda irrelevant anyway.

Yeah but Billie and Olivia broke through with very unique sounds and looks. They had songs that sounded nothing like what was popular in years. Sabrina's music is good but pretty generic sonically and thematically 

2 hours ago, gerardsuxx said:

I don't think so, they hate ex-Disney girls, Olivia was a fluke 

let's be real, she's barely remembered as a Disney girl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.