The Boyfriend | Japanese same-sex romance reality series | S1 Reunion

stochastic

screaming at how they paired a f***boi (Dai) with an emo british cig (Shun) :deadbanana2:

Taeheon / Kazuto / Usak / Ikuo >>>>>>>

Edited by truthteller
  • Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• levi_valvi

• TryMe

• Nebur

• Tangane

Dai is very main character and the most boyfriend material (imo) shun is annoying and reminds me of guys irl I would hate to date. Taeheon is severely underrated considering he is attractive smart and charming. Kazuto became an unexpected star mid season which I started to see why - he is cute and overall very pleasant and chill. Alan is a breath of fresh air but his sleepover with Kazuto was hard to watch as he was not able to read and adapt kazuto's signals of not being into it while he was physically assertive. Ryoto and Gensei are really cute besties energy. It was a shame usak had to leave as he was truly a daddy and he was actually opening up. Ikuo is cute but we will see 

I don't like reality shows but I'm glad they're now making some good LGBTQ+ ones. I'm looking at you, Todrick Hall :clack:

I'm so invested in this show :jonny: 

17 minutes ago, Feetree said:

Dai is very main character and the most boyfriend material (imo) shun is annoying and reminds me of guys irl I would hate to date. Taeheon is severely underrated considering he is attractive smart and charming. Kazuto became an unexpected star mid season which I started to see why - he is cute and overall very pleasant and chill. Alan is a breath of fresh air but his sleepover with Kazuto was hard to watch as he was not able to read and adapt kazuto's signals of not being into it while he was physically assertive. Ryoto and Gensei are really cute besties energy. It was a shame usak had to leave as he was truly a daddy and he was actually opening up. Ikuo is cute but we will see 

You're not wrong, but I feel for Shun as well. Orphans usually have troubles in both giving and receiving love. I don't think he tries to act high and aloof, but he really doesn't get romantically interested in other guys as easily. He only responded to Dai, because Dai made a move first, but eventually he just does not feel confident in the relationship and just actively looks for reasons to not commit further yet he's also dying for Dai's care and love.

• ATRL Moderator

Finally starting watching this today and just CRIED at the end of episode 5

spacer.png

That coffee truck date was SO CUTE and I was shipping Kazak so hard :weeps: :weeps:

On 7/11/2024 at 11:07 PM, ALittleGauche said:

Justice for Taehon. Why isn't anyone interested in him?!

On 7/16/2024 at 1:13 AM, willmcclure9 said:

Taehon :jonny: 

!!!!!!!!!! How does he get no airtime and he's the most attractive person there?! ROBBED. Bring him on the US version and cast me too, Netflix :WAP:

The lighthouse picnic provided so much DRAWMA. Did the producers ask Taehon to sit it out because he wasn't involved in any of the drama? :deadbanana2:

Sad for Usak leaving, but I appreciated what he brought to the show. His drawings shocked me by how good they were.

Gensei stays irrelevant (the way he was missing for a complete episode and no one batted an eyelash). Ryota stays delusional thinking he could get Kazuto and Shun. 

On 7/17/2024 at 12:24 PM, toast said:

Recognized Alan from this boiler room set :rip: (worth a listen btw)

I recognised him from here too :rip:

-

Ryota is such an alt gay - I don't see anyone suitable for him. Also i'm kinda cackling that Gensei, Shun and Ryota always be hanging out together. True sisters 💅

16 hours ago, ALittleGauche said:

The lighthouse picnic provided so much DRAWMA. Did the producers ask Taehon to sit it out because he wasn't involved in any of the drama? :deadbanana2:

Sad for Usak leaving, but I appreciated what he brought to the show. His drawings shocked me by how good they were.

Gensei stays irrelevant (the way he was missing for a complete episode and no one batted an eyelash). Ryota stays delusional thinking he could get Kazuto and Shun. 

Also him demanding an answer was crazy hahahaaha

And the guy that actually liked him, he paid to dust hahahaha

I do like his personality though

Shun was soooo annoying in episode 6.

Dai is living his best life because Shun clearly told him they should stay friends!!

But when Shun talks to the others it's like Dai is his property...

I think we're gonna start seeing a lot of tears in the new batch of episodes this week.

So jealous of Shun seeing Dai's nudes 

• Haha 2

I don't understand the whole chicken debacle. Like, why do they have such limited money for food? Why is this even an element? Surely they're there to have a nice time and not worry about personal finances.

And I felt so bad for Usak! Let the man drink his nasty nasty chicken smoothie! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, levi_valvi said:

I don't understand the whole chicken debacle. Like, why do they have such limited money for food? Why is this even an element? Surely they're there to have a nice time and not worry about personal finances.

And I felt so bad for Usak! Let the man drink his nasty nasty chicken smoothie! 

I agree that it seems unnecessary to apply such rule in this kind of show, but at the same time this is what makes the whole situation feel more real (to the audience but also to the candidates). It's like a real house-sharing situation and it makes you know more about the people around you!

We could forego the whole brewery thing also, but work culture is so predominant in Japan that I think it's also good for them to see how much their crush is committed or not. :)

As for Usak... Love the guy, and I understand it's related to his work, but from what I understood he's drinking this smoothie AND eating the same thing as everyone? You can not not find this upsetting. But they all handled this with class and maturity.

Edited by Tangane

This show is so wholesome and it's probably due to Japanese approach to relationships and love. The way they speak is so soft and thoughtful. 

A version of this in the West would be way more superficial and messy. It wouldn't be the same

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Chemist said:

This show is so wholesome and it's probably due to Japanese approach to relationships and love. The way they speak is so soft and thoughtful. 

A version of this in the West would be way more superficial and messy. It wouldn't be the same

Yh I think also the contestants of for example Love Island don't really seek love, they seek a brand endorsement. 

This show also highlights a different type of gay. Kazuto for example wanted to take things slow. We often get portayed in a way that we are all about s*x. The west always want to cast the stereotypes. The 'fierce and slay' kind of gays.

• Like 1

ugh three dates this week

1 hour ago, Tangane said:

I agree that it seems unnecessary to apply such rule in this kind of show, but at the same time this is what makes the whole situation feel more real (to the audience but also to the candidates). It's like a real house-sharing situation and it makes you know more about the people around you!

We could forego the whole brewery thing also, but work culture is so predominant in Japan that I think it's also good for them to see how much their crush is committed or not. :)

As for Usak... Love the guy, and I understand it's related to his work, but from what I understood he's drinking this smoothie AND eating the same thing as everyone? You can not not find this upsetting. But they all handled this with class and maturity.

Well he's like twice the size of some of the other guys, ofc he's gonna need a bigger intake.

LUV the coffee shop concept, it's such a nice way for them to get to know each other. Like, the Q&A date format isn't working, it's too intimidating and job interview'd, so I really appreciate this approach.

• Like 1

Seated for episode 7 and 8 :eatpopcorn:

Has shun ever expressed interest in working? :skull:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, levi_valvi said:

Has shun ever expressed interest in working? :skull:

Shun is me in life:clap3:

• Haha 1

Kazuto working almost every shift and cooking three meals a day for the whole house 

spacer.png

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, levi_valvi said:

Well he's like twice the size of some of the other guys, ofc he's gonna need a bigger intake.

LUV the coffee shop concept, it's such a nice way for them to get to know each other. Like, the Q&A date format isn't working, it's too intimidating and job interview'd, so I really appreciate this approach.

I agree, but in this situation: would you be okay eating less (and risking being hungry) so he can eat his chicken, or do you feel like he should sacrifice himself and eat just the same as everyone else?

Despite his totally valid arguments, I think it makes sense that one person makes some adjustment rather than the 7 other guys.

And YES I agree with the second part of your message, especially in Japan where socializing can be really awkward...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tangane said:

I agree, but in this situation: would you be okay eating less (and risking being hungry) so he can eat his chicken, or do you feel like he should sacrifice himself and eat just the same as everyone else?

Despite his totally valid arguments, I think it makes sense that one person makes some adjustment rather than the 7 other guys.

And YES I agree with the second part of your message, especially in Japan where socializing can be really awkward...

I think no one should go hungry to bed and setting up a situation with such limited funds and access to food is completely unnecessary.

And if there is to be a finite amount of food then I think it should be distributed according each persons needs and that that massive man clearly needs more than someone like Shun who just lies on the couch all day

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, levi_valvi said:

I think no one should go hungry to bed and setting up a situation with such limited funds and access to food is completely unnecessary.

And if there is to be a finite amount of food then I think it should be distributed according each persons needs and that that massive man clearly needs more than someone like Shun who just lies on the couch all day

Yeah, ultimately it's the production's fault.

But I bet they were happy there was a lil' bit of drama out of this situation. :coffee2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.