Was "Old Music" regularly played when you were growing up?

Jamie Starr

If so, how did it affect your music taste? Who were the most frequently played artists in your household?

Yes, I was 5 in 2001 and my parents listened to an adult radio station which mostly played 90s soft-rock. So now my favourite genre is soft-rock and pop-rock. 

• Like 1

Tbh my mom only heard turkish music when i was a kid (were bit from turkey but we are in the middle east) . It didn't really affect me musically. I always listened to English and Spanish 

• Like 2

Yes, my mom would listen to a lot of R&B from the 90s and early 2000s. So now I have a lot of the same music on my playlist:gaycat1:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sountracks from PS2 and PS1 videogames. GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas.

Older movies, and of course those throwback music stations that I hated because I only saw "old people" manually tune into it. Funny how the music I grew up to is now a staple on those throwback stations. I thought it would NEVER happen as it was too upbeat. Of course, there was the ABBA Gold/Oro CD's always playing.

I would say older music has always been more popular than "new" music, it is just that it was harder to track consumption of media that was already purchased for years. At the time I thought everyone consumed Top 40 music, but in retrospect it was just something elementary school kids and highschoolers consumed because my dad doesn't know anyone who was famous after the 2000's(doesn't know who Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna are, etc...), wheras streaming makes it easier to track.

Edited by Junipero
  • Like 1

Yes

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Definitely. Radio and MTV was very vital to me growing up in the early 2000's. I remember the 90's as a kid when so many different genres and styles of music from different generations were always on loop and on Trl & 106 and park.

my parents were strict Christians and hated us watching or listening to other music, but at my friends house or school we were into so much like Kelly Clarkson, Eminem, Avril, Linkin Park, Beyoncé, Neyo, Rihanna as far as the modern artist. For throwbacks we liked Nirvana, DMX, Smashing Pumpkins, Madonna, Cher, Blondie, MJ, Prince, ect. And then for pre-80's music my friends parents played a lot of James brown and Motown artist, and some AC/DC. Most of my favorite music was predominantly Pop and Pop rock alternative. So I think MTV had the most influence over me from 7-18

Edited by Gorjesspazze9
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

Definitely. Radio and MTV was very vital to me growing up in the early 2000's. I remember the 90's as a kid when so many different genres and styles of music from different generations were always on loop and on Trl & 106 and park.

my parents were strict Christians and hated us watching or listening to other music, but at my friends house or school we were into so much like Kelly Clarkson, Eminem, Avril, Linkin Park, Beyoncé, Neyo, Rihanna as far as the modern artist. For throwbacks we liked Nirvana, DMX, Smashing Pumpkins, Madonna, Cher, Blondie, MJ, Prince, ect. And then for pre-80's music my friends parents played a lot of James brown and Motown artist, and some AC/DC. Most of my favorite music was predominantly Pop and Pop rock alternative. So I think MTV had the most influence over me from 7-18

Motown :clap3:

• Like 1

Yes, there was a major time discrepancy in my household. My entire cultural reference point until I was a teenager centered on what today's generation would likely call prehistoric.

Yes, cause my family is 2/3 generations before me lol, being raised by old people has benefits. 

To say how it affected my taste, my favorite artist, vocalist & rapper all peaked before my time (well rapper not really, but he dropped his best album when I was a toddler) lmfao. I'm probably one of the few people under 30 who actually likes old school and mid school hip hop because of this. 

Oh, I don't listen to albums out of order/on shuffle and I barely engage playlists, I'm a front to back album listener. 

• Like 1

honey i grew up with umm khaltum and some of those tapes date back to literally the 1920s :deadbanana4:

Yes. My parents liked a lot of old school country music like Tammy Wynette, Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline and Kitty Wells. It was only when I reached my early 20's that I even admitted to myself that sound had influenced me. Whilst I respect those artists I don't listen to them.

However we also had a copy of Nancy Sinatra's "Greatest Hits" on vinyl and a compilation cassette of early Olivia Newton-John songs from before the movie "Grease" had been released and I felt those resonated with me more and that I had a way stronger connection to them. Some of those Nancy and early Olivia songs still mean a lot to me.

• Like 1

Not really, tbh. The CD player in our car was broken, so most of the music I remember from my childhood was what was current to that time (Shakira, Beyoncé, novela soundtracks).

Well, my parents was never into music at all. TV was always on and news/soap operas/movies were THOSE GIRLS.

In 2003-2004 I got a cassette with music recorded from radio from my cousin - and I started to record my own cassettes - and the most popular radio station back in the day was some kind of adult contemporary station. It played some new songs, but it was mostly pop, pop-rock, sometimes dance. And a lot of oldies.

I was focused on new songs - I remember Jamelia's "Superstar" being played a lot.

Yes, my parents usually listened to 70s-90s RnB, pop and rap music and I generally listen to RnB and pop of that time too.

VH1's morning music program that I played before I went to school also contributed to the kinds of music I like.

Posted (edited)

My parents only listened to Latin tropical music like salsa, rancheras, and some classic boleros, and honestly, I hated all of their music, lmfao :gaycat6:
Today i have more appreciation for it but when i was younger i just straight hated it.
I remember my teachers forcing me to dance tango,merengue,salsa,cumbias, folkloric music from my country and i used to get really angry and cry :bibliahh:

So, I grew up basically without a love for music :gayrrycat1:
I cared only about playing with my friends and watching TV shows like Pokémon, Dragon Ball, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Power Rangers, Xena, Xmen, Barney...
and playing on my Super Nintendo,Nintendo 64 or PlayStation 1 :giraffe: No music in my early childhood

But I remember some cool songs from the radio that I used to listen to in the streets and loved those (Like Shakira) :giraffe:
I didn't have a computer and internet back in the 90s, 2000, or 2001.
So, I was very confused about the concept of music and celebrities.
I just lived in a bubble, only caring about my small life. I was unaware of everything and how the whole planet worked. 
I studied in a really cheap and bad elementary school in a random tiny town in South America. That was not helpful at all, lol.  

Then when I was like 10 or 11, dad bought us our first XP computer, and we got a CD for our new computer, and there were some videos there.
This was my first real contact with music i loved:

-Some Shakira videos and her Live off The Record Tour
-Britney Spears' Toxic and I'm A Slave
-Avril Lavigne's Complicated and Sk8er Boi
-Christina Aguilera's Genie In A Bottle.

Then we got Cable TV  and i Discovered-stanned all the Disney stars like Hilary Duff,Hannah,Vanessa Hudgens,Cheetah Girls,Raven Symone

Then in 2007 i got Internet for the first time (14-15 years old) and then i just discovered how the music world and life worked.
Discovered Rihanna,Fergie,Gween,Beyonce. Videographies. Discographies. The Stan World. Singers Facts........ and my life changed 100% :gayoncecat2:

Edited by AvadaKedavra

My dad used to listen to old school hip-hop and Nigerian songs (both my parents were African migrants). My brother, on the other hand, was a huge 90s alternative rock fan (Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc). Definitely affected my taste and listening habits growing up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Music most played in my house growing up was bands like Queen, Bon Jovi, The Police, aha, etc.

My grandmother, who I lived with as a kid, used to stan Elvis hard and listened to his music constantly.

My grandfather used to exclusively listen to classical music (at least when I was around), so I was exposed to that a lot as well, which is very very old.

My mom did listen to Oops I Did It Again album a lot. 

As a preteen, we used to listen to alternative rock radio a lot in the car and my friends at that time was very into Fueled By Ramen early days, so so was I.

I actually wasn't exposed properly to pop music (beyond huge hits, of course) until I was 15/16 when I started listening to Lily Allen's Smile, Alfie, etc.

Edited by Gladiator

Posted (edited)

My mom plays music like every day 

Growing up she would play Donna Summer, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Jackson 5, Barry White (she would say "he should've been your daddy":rip:), Diana Ross, The Doors, Bob Marley, Chicago, Black Sabbath, America, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Wonder, Queen, Boston, Alice cooper, Phil Colin's, Fleetwood Mac etc mostly 70's-80's music 

She listens to a bunch of great music I love her taste a lot 

Edited by Raver
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Raver said:

My mom plays music like every day 

Growing up she would play Donna Summer, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Jackson 5, Barry White (she would say "he should've been your daddy":rip:), Diana Ross, The Doors, Bob Marley, Chicago, Black Sabbath, America, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Wonder, Queen, Boston, Alice cooper, Phil Colin's, Fleetwood Mac etc mostly 70's-80's music 

She listens to a bunch of great music I love her taste a lot 

Mama had taste :alexz2:

• Like 1

i lived with my grandma who loves classical music so yes...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.