Miley Cyrus: Why did the Grammys wait 20 years to take me seriously?

Wildcat

spacer.pngspacer.png

Miley Cyrus wants her flowers.

In a new interview, the pop star wondered why she had to wait decades to get respect from her peers in the music industry despite making a splash early on in her career.

"No shade, but I've been doing this for 20 years, and this is my first time actually being taken seriously at the Grammys?" Cyrus, 31, asked W Magazine in her Pop Issue cover story published Monday, nearly four months after she won two awards for her No. 1 song "Flowers."

"I've had a hard time figuring out what the measurement is there, because if we want to talk stats and numbers, then where the f–k was I? And if you want to talk, like, impact on culture, then where the f–k was I?" she continued. The singer then stressed, "This is not about arrogance. I am proud of myself."

Do you agree Miley deserved more recognition, ATRL?.

https://www.wmagazine.com/culture/miley-cyrus-cover-interview-2024

https://pagesix.com/2024/06/03/entertainment/miley-cyrus-grammys-waited-20-years-to-take-me-seriously/

• Like 3

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thatsmydemi

• HandsInTheAir

• Hector

• AccioMiley

Top Posters In This Topic

The Climb, Party in the USA, Bangerz, etc. were robbed.

• Like 3

Tea. They robbed Miley and Katy :eli:

Lovin this hair.
Im curious about her next era. If she will go for Urban,Indie-Alt, Rock, Dance Electronic music or Maybe Country Again?

She deserved a Grammy for Who Owns My Heart 

• Like 2

She had horrible press during Bangerz, has she forgotten?

• Like 3

Wrecking Ball and The Climb certainly deserved some Grammys recognition, a few nominations at the very least.

• Like 5

It's very clear. At first she was seen as a Disney star. Then her Bangerz persona was too controversial (yet she still got a nomination). Then she flopped for almost 10 years. Flowers was the first time she had a smash hit with undeniable universal appeal + the Plastic Hearts era helped her image.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Spill the tea mother! 

And I'm not even talking about winning, until a year ago Miley only got one nom for Bangrez... like look at her catalog: The Climb, Party In The USA, We Can't Stop, Wrecking Ball, Malibu, Nothing Breaks Like a Heart, Midnight Sky, Angels Like You. So many quality hits..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, 4Real said:

It's very clear. At first she was seen as a Disney star. Then her Bangerz persona was too controversial (yet she still got a nomination). Then she flopped for almost 10 years. Flowers was the first time she had a smash hit with undeniable universal appeal + the Plastic Hearts era helped her image.

Plus poptimism definitely helped a bit as well. I remember so many female smashes that would only get a Best Pop Solo Performance nomination at most in the 2000s & 2010s.

Edited by Hector
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Why do artists these days think they are entitled to everything? Why would they take her seriously with that catalog? Madonna was 41 years old when she received her first and her last Grammy on stage and you never heard her moan about it. 

Edited by NoAngelus
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

I mean the way that The Best Of Both Worlds washes off half of the pop girls that exist today... She has been doing this since she was a little girl.

• Like 1

because you were releasing shite music 

• Like 9
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 6

I mean Bjork, Katy Perry, and Lana Del Rey still don't have Grammys even after multiple nominations and Glenn Close STILL doesn't have an Oscar after 8 nominations. The stars just aligned for her universally beloved mega smash. 

• Like 1

She spilled. She wanted to win one so I'm happy for her but I'm glad she's dragging the Grannys. They're unserious, old-fashioned and biased. 

She won bc her song was a massive hit not bc it was deserving, there are plenty of others who are deserving who have produced FAR better music :giraffe:

• Like 10
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

no shade you only just found the sound that works for you darling , and they completely ignored the album that deserved the success (Plastic Hearts)

• Like 5

She deserved a grammy for Slide Away

• Like 1

Just now, Hector said:

I mean Bjork, Katy Perry, and Lana Del Rey still don't have Grammys even after multiple nominations and Glenn Close STILL doesn't have an Oscar after 8 nominations. The stars just aligned for her universally beloved mega smash. 

Well, it's a bit sad that new pop girls get several wins, and the ones who paved the way in pop music during 10' paid dust.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Can't she just be happy with finally winning a Grammy? 

Posted (edited)

She never made awards-worthy work and Flowers isn't really either, it was just her first smash in a decade + a career Grammy. 

Edited by Kylizzle
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, WildAmerican said:

She won bc her song was a massive hit not bc it was deserving, there are plenty of others who are deserving who have produced FAR better music :giraffe:

Umm u could say the same with uptown funk by bruno mars

I'd be pissed too if my most basic, blandest material was the one winning me Scammys

• Like 2

she's right. meet miley cyrus deserved album of the year :clap3:

• Like 2

She only really started making music that warranted Grammy consideration 3 years ago.  

If she was more committed and consistent, she probably would have won one years ago like Ariana Grande

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Idk what she thinks qualifies for a Grammy before this. But the Grammys also don't know so 🤷🏻 maybe wrecking ball but she shot herself in the foot with that when it comes to the Grammys. Can't make yourself a meme and expect a Grammy after. 

Edited by WhateverYouWant

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.