Two more US officials resign over Biden administration's position on Gaza

GraceRandolph

Two more US officials have resigned over the Gaza war, saying that the Biden administration is not telling the truth about Israeli obstruction of humanitarian assistance to more than two million Palestinians trapped and starving in the tiny coastal strip.

Alexander Smith, a contractor for the US Agency for International Development (USAID), said he was given a choice between resignation and dismissal after preparing a presentation on maternal and child mortality among Palestinians, which was cancelled at the last minute by USAID leadership last week.

Smith, a senior adviser on gender, maternal health, child health, and nutrition chose to resign on Monday after four years at USAID. In his resignation letter to the head of the agency, Samantha Power, he complained about the inconsistencies in USAID's approach to different countries and humanitarian crises, and the general treatment of Palestinians.

"I cannot do my job in an environment in which specific people cannot be acknowledged as fully human, or where gender and human rights principles apply to some, but not to others, depending on their race," he wrote.

In another resignation on Tuesday, a state department official from the bureau of population, refugees and migration, Stacy Gilbert, sent an email to colleagues explaining that she was leaving because of an official finding by the department that Israel was not deliberately obstructing the flow of food or other aid into Gaza.

According to the Washington Post, Gilbert took issue in particular with a formal state department report to Congress on 10 May, noting that Israel "did not fully cooperate" in the first months of the Gaza war but that it had "significantly increased humanitarian access" more recently. In fact, after a spike in humanitarian deliveries in late April and early May, they have fallen to near zero in the weeks since.

Asked about Gilbert's resignation, a state department spokesperson said that "we have made clear we welcome diverse points of view and believe it makes us stronger".

Smith and Gilbert bring the total number of Biden administration officials to have publicly resigned over US policy on Gaza to nine, though Josh Paul, the first official to resign, said that at least two dozen more had left quietly, without a public declaration.

"I'm aware that there are other resignations pending in the near future from officials with similar concerns in their own areas of work," said Paul, now a senior adviser at Dawn, a group advocating democracy and human rights in the Middle East and north Africa.

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/30/two-more-us-officials-resign-over-biden-administrations-position-on-gaza-war

• Thanks 9

The Biden administration is imploding right before our eyes. Love to see it! This is Biden's legacy.

• Like 4

It's wild that because of their bear hug policy with alt-right Israel, Biden's administration is becoming the Trump administration they sought to differentiate themselves from.  

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

I'm not sure quitting is the right move here. They would be more effective being able to work from the inside.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 7

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

Two more US officials have resigned over the Gaza war, saying that the Biden administration is not telling the truth about Israeli obstruction of humanitarian assistance to more than two million Palestinians trapped and starving in the tiny coastal strip.

Alexander Smith, a contractor for the US Agency for International Development (USAID), said he was given a choice between resignation and dismissal after preparing a presentation on maternal and child mortality among Palestinians, which was cancelled at the last minute by USAID leadership last week.

Smith, a senior adviser on gender, maternal health, child health, and nutrition chose to resign on Monday after four years at USAID. In his resignation letter to the head of the agency, Samantha Power, he complained about the inconsistencies in USAID's approach to different countries and humanitarian crises, and the general treatment of Palestinians.

"I cannot do my job in an environment in which specific people cannot be acknowledged as fully human, or where gender and human rights principles apply to some, but not to others, depending on their race," he wrote.

In another resignation on Tuesday, a state department official from the bureau of population, refugees and migration, Stacy Gilbert, sent an email to colleagues explaining that she was leaving because of an official finding by the department that Israel was not deliberately obstructing the flow of food or other aid into Gaza.

According to the Washington Post, Gilbert took issue in particular with a formal state department report to Congress on 10 May, noting that Israel "did not fully cooperate" in the first months of the Gaza war but that it had "significantly increased humanitarian access" more recently. In fact, after a spike in humanitarian deliveries in late April and early May, they have fallen to near zero in the weeks since.

Asked about Gilbert's resignation, a state department spokesperson said that "we have made clear we welcome diverse points of view and believe it makes us stronger".

Smith and Gilbert bring the total number of Biden administration officials to have publicly resigned over US policy on Gaza to nine, though Josh Paul, the first official to resign, said that at least two dozen more had left quietly, without a public declaration.

"I'm aware that there are other resignations pending in the near future from officials with similar concerns in their own areas of work," said Paul, now a senior adviser at Dawn, a group advocating democracy and human rights in the Middle East and north Africa.

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/may/30/two-more-us-officials-resign-over-biden-administrations-position-on-gaza-war

I'm sure the Biden Administration can do without them.

Bye Bye.🙄

More folks mad with POTUS Biden than the both sides terrorists Hamas and Trump's brother from another mother Bibi Netanyahu who each wanna prolong this war forever for political purposes (not to mention so Bibi can help Trump win so they both can be dictator for life and keep themselves

out of prison).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 6

• ATRL Moderator
43 minutes ago, beautiful player said:

I'm not sure quitting is the right move here. They would be more effective being able to work from the inside.

It’s been more than 7 months. Working from the inside wasn't going to do anything. Given the Democratic Party seems to finally recognize this is going to give Trump the presidency in November and he’s still not budging, nothing will make him change on the issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lola1122 said:

I'm sure the Biden Administration can do without them.

Bye Bye.🙄

More folks mad with POTUS Biden than the both sides terrorists Hamas and Trump's brother from another mother Bibi Netanyahu who each wanna prolong this war forever for political purposes (not to mention so Bibi can help Trump win so they both can be dictator for life and keep themselves

out of prison).

Completely psychotic response unattached to reality. Seek help. 

11 minutes ago, ZeroSuitBritney said:

Completely psychotic response unattached to reality. Seek help. 

Don't waste your energy - it's their first post. Trolls gonna troll.

Can I resign from being American somehow as well? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.