Edinburgh homeless being sent out of city to make room for Swifties for Eras Tour

Jotham

A number of homeless people have been sent out of Edinburgh to make way for tourists ahead of Taylor Swift performing in the city, BBC News has learned.

Shelter Scotland said several homeless people it supports had been sent via taxi to Aberdeen and Glasgow amid a shortage in accommodation, and one person was offered temporary accommodation as far away as Newcastle.

The housing charity said it was "a blatant injustice" for homeless people to be "in direct competition" with tourists.

Edinburgh City Council said it was working with affected households to find "appropriate, alternative accommodation".

Taylor Swift will be playing three nights at Edinburgh's Murrayfield stadium from 7 to 9 June. Hundreds of thousands of fans are set to flock to the city, and competition for hotel rooms is fierce.

The housing charity said people being declared homeless in Edinburgh who would usually be offered temporary accommodation such as hotels were being sent out of the city due to a severe shortage in accommodation caused by the concert.

There is no evidence of homeless people being removed from accommodation where they are already staying.

Read more

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dirrtydiana

• Jay07

• Rep2000

• Diesel is Desire

American ts stans need to be stopped

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Posted (edited)

taylor queen of late capitalism

Edited by Karla Cabello
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I have no doubt that OTHs are going to now blame the homeless crisis in Scotland on Taylor Swift.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Jotham said:

The housing charity said people being declared homeless in Edinburgh who would usually be offered temporary accommodation such as hotels were being sent out of the city due to a severe shortage in accommodation caused by the concert.

Correction: caused by systematic bad policies put in place by government people who don't give a **** about homeless people and don't use their power to prevent homelesness in the fist place

Edited by pavi
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

This is so on brand for her  :deadvision:

Jokes aside local government doesn't have its priorities straight, what a mess

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Thumbs Down 16

Wouldn't be surprised if that was a special request by Swift herself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 21
  • Thumbs Down 26

wow, i cant believe she would do this 

Disgusting! And I wonder how many of those "tourists" are just obsessed American TS stans (again). :sistrens:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 17

everything is not about me but what if it is

• Haha 1

They can handle one weekend. :dies:

While she boosts the local economy in the process :clap3:

• Thumbs Down 29

5 minutes ago, dirrtydiana said:

What a disgusting and tone deaf post. Money is not more important than life. How about they use that economy boost to shelter those people at least for the duration of the concert days?

What was tone deaf about this? The housing charity should be able to handle ONE weekend even if she is there. Or did you just assume that my post meant I didn't care about homeless situation in Scotland?

I know yall are eager to farm for upvotes and get your gotcha moments and don't like to read. A common theme here on illiterATRL

• Like 10
  • Thumbs Down 11

1 minute ago, Diesel is Desire said:

What was tone deaf about this? The housing charity should be able to handle ONE weekend even if she is there. Or did you just assume that my post meant I didn't care about homeless situation in Scotland?

I know yall are eager to farm for upvotes and get your gotcha moments and don't like to read. A common theme here on illiterATRL

You may want to reread your first post and apply some of this literacy you speak of and subtract the projection.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, dirrtydiana said:

You may want to reread your first post and apply some of this literacy you speak of and subtract the projection.

I've reread it babes. Now continue your activism and faux outrage on ATRL in another thread with Taylor Swift's name on it. :coffee2:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 8

T***** S**** is a corporation, we been knew!

KqxMaeY.thumb.gif.d6227b808b7c89bea8e257

Another fortnight lost in Edinburgh

2 hours ago, byzantium said:

I have no doubt that OTHs are going to now blame the homeless crisis in Scotland on Taylor Swift.  

well-

On the good side, homeless people won't have to suffer hearing her horrendous live vocals and witnessing the horrors of a swiftie invasion. :celestial2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15
  • Thumbs Down 7

some of the posts in this thread are better try to serve sarcastic humor 

otherwise if you really mean what you write.... check in at your local mental hospital immediately 

• Like 3

Very kind of them to prevent homeless people from witnessing swifties

• Haha 14

how dystopian 

I mean, outside of Taylor Swift, there's something so dystopian about not only the situation itself, but the discussions in here.

The way people are so quick to jump on Taylor but also the people who's first instinct is to defend the most famous woman in the world from mean ATRL posts when there's people's lives being treated like garbage being taken out of the city for a concert :deadbanana:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

not everything is about fan culture ffs :rip:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.