is "autoplay" the new "thanks tiktok"?

drivers license

i've heard this thrown around the last few weeks like y'all lives depended on it.

is it the new excuse or coping mechanism when atrl can't accept organic success? :suburban: 

• Like 5

Organic success dropping 2m in random Wednesday and gaining 2m on random Tuesday 

Then sure

There are like 100s of example of this every day

If you are smart enough, you will notice it

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

When they played Sk8er Boi after My Dilemma this morning and it came as such a pleasant surprise. :falcon:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's not an excuse. You can literally see it. :rip: 

It's a recent form of promo that labels are using. Idk why stans get so defensive when it's literally in your face. Just accept it and move on. A song's success is not entirely because of this but it helps a lot.

Edited by thatsmydemi
  • Like 7

Nothing is really organic anymore but it's just a bit funny that this forum was raging against what KPOP groups do but then do the same **** lol.

Watching everyone say "organic" when its clearly not is laughable though. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Definitely the new excuse, especially by a certain fanbase that loves to throw that word around anytime another female artist stomps on theirs. :bird:

Cheap marketing tactics and bloated  "albums" can't compete with organic interest tho!

Edited by dawnettakins
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

No mainstream artist is product of organic success, everything is planned by the label

They are all corrupted to hell and back 

The only thing it matters is if it sticks or falls off

Posted (edited)

'Thanks tiktok' never made sense :bird: its great that people are using ur song in a video (with a corny-ass trend or not, it doesn't matter) it's nothing to be ashamed of, it's the people speaking! (Artists should be ashamed of releasing sped up versions tbh but getting tiktok virals is GREAT)

of course there is also payola but in general it's more organic than payola, usually "bought" trends don't work. 

On the other hand, Autoplay (when its the same song for everyone) is 100% payola. So it's different and it's the new "cover of today top hits" 

with that said, it's crystal clear that autoplay now impacts more than playlisting on a song chart!

Edited by Selegend

That is why streaming stats are inferior and easy to manipulate. 

The streaming era / Units stats will never compare to actual copies sold.

• Like 1

Autoplay exists but as I have said before it doesn't guarantee a song is going to be a hit in the long run. Just like Today's Top Hits doesn't. I can name a bunch of songs that went nowhere despite heavy use of autoplay because people just didn't click with them and once the autoplay effect wore off they fell like a rock. That includes songs from Sabrina Carpenter pre-Espresso, Madison Beer, Troye Sivan etc.

Turning autoplay off is the easiest thing by the way. I turned it off myself when they were trying to force Espresso down my throat because I gave Nonsense a single stream last year. So if you still have it on that's on you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gossip_Boy said:

Autoplay exists but as I have said before it doesn't guarantee a song is going to be a hit in the long run. Just like Today's Top Hits doesn't. I can name a bunch of songs that went nowhere despite heavy use of autoplay because people just didn't click with them and once the autoplay effect wore off they fell like a rock. That includes songs from Sabrina Carpenter pre-Espresso, Madison Beer, Troye Sivan etc.

Turning autoplay off is the easiest thing by the way. I turned it off myself when they were trying to force Espresso down my throat because I gave Nonsense a single stream last year. So if you still have it on that's on you.

Also autoplay usually chooses songs for you based on your listening habits. They don't just play any song. If for example you only listen to metal you won't be getting Sabrina Carpenter, Kendrick Lamar and Billie Eilish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gossip_Boy said:

Also autoplay usually chooses songs for you based on your listening habits. They don't just play any song. If for example you only listen to metal you won't be getting Sabrina Carpenter, Kendrick Lamar and Billie Eilish.

Yep, this is basically the "autoplay" feature.

Flowers and Die For You (Remix) were the only songs I tracked that had BIG autoplay, playing after songs from other genres (rock, kpop and reggaeton) 

I thought that was just a "one-time thing" but Espresso, Million Dollar Baby and Beautiful Things did it again this year. :duck:

It's like having a radio deal, you throw it onto people and if they like it, it will stick

My auto play doesn't seem to do that lol 

3 hours ago, FolkLover1989 said:

Organic success dropping 2m in random Wednesday and gaining 2m on random Tuesday 

Then sure

There are like 100s of example of this every day

If you are smart enough, you will notice it

We can declare LUNCH as organic then since it doesn't drop 2M in random Wednesday and gain 2M on random Tuesday

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Papi Juancho said:

Yep, this is basically the "autoplay" feature.

Flowers and Die For You (Remix) were the only songs I tracked that had BIG autoplay, playing after songs from other genres (rock, kpop and reggaeton) 

I thought that was just a "one-time thing" but Espresso, Million Dollar Baby and Beautiful Things did it again this year. :duck:

Yeah the bigger the hit the more chances of getting it on autoplay because if a lot of people like it chances are you'll probably like it too (or at least that's the thinking behind it). But not every song used on autoplay will end up being a big hit that's what people don't seem to grasp.

2 of the songs I was personally getting constantly on autoplay were One of your Girls and whatever the latest Madison Beer song is called. One peaked in the 70s and the other didn't even chart. So the narrative that autoplay alone can turn a song into a hit is false.

3 hours ago, selena_lavigne said:

When they played Sk8er Boi after My Dilemma this morning and it came as such a pleasant surprise. :falcon:

Brings back memories of 2002 radio, and the beginning of my freshman year in high school.

The thing with autoplay is that you can always skip the song. Thats what I do.

With this in mind, this also higlights how inorganic streaming can be as well. Its so easily manipulated (honestly even more than the ITunes era) since it relies on frequency of listens rather than number of unique listeners. Its the reason why so many songs of today have high streams but low penetration within the GP. 

https://artists.spotify.com/en/discovery-mode

Spotify literally came out and announced that they were manipulating autoplay and charging artists for it. It's the exact same thing as payola on radio and you should be pissed - they're just hoping they can get as many artists as possible signed up for autoplay so they don't have to payout as much in royalties and can steal from your faves just like radio did.

9 hours ago, Eternium said:

https://artists.spotify.com/en/discovery-mode

Spotify literally came out and announced that they were manipulating autoplay and charging artists for it. It's the exact same thing as payola on radio and you should be pissed - they're just hoping they can get as many artists as possible signed up for autoplay so they don't have to payout as much in royalties and can steal from your faves just like radio did.

Many artists are bombing though. Payola does provide promo and helps alot. But if people don't like your music then it wont work. Look at Dua and Cardi. It's along a few weeks effect.

Just turn autoplay off. It's crazy how some people still believe Spotify survives with the money from premium users and some ads.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.