• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dalladallamallamalla

• whatyouwant_

• dreww

• wish

11 minutes ago, Billionaire said:

I'm sorry but there is no way in hell that this album is as bad as SP :deadbanana4:

i agree with their assessment on lorde. her material is fairly rated. billie rating is interesting bc this album should be around 7.2-7.5 

• Like 1

.2 higher than Radical Optimism?? :ohwow:

Umm.. I do think the album is slightly overpraised but it's not less than an 8. I kinda had a feeling they would give it a lower than expected score though because they love to be contrarian and it's not something super new, adventurous or boundary pushing for Billie. Not that it needs to be though.. it's taking ideas she had before and making them so much more fresh and exciting to listen to which I'd argue is harder than completely coming from left field and switching things up entirely (Cowboy Carter for example). 

They really only praise things that are extremely different or extremely groundbreaking lately. The album deserves better but I'm not shocked by their score, they love to be controversial.

4 minutes ago, Camila Obama Cabello said:

taylor 6

billie 6.8

guess it's safe to say CC4 will be the best contender for AOTY (unless camila get's robbed by beyonce)

36 minutes ago, popmusicisdead said:

does this mean Billie and Taylor are both out for the count for AOTY?

:ryan3:

Not sure why y'all think a single review will be the determining factor in the AOTY when HMHAS is otherwise very well-received; critical acclaim is a relevant factor but if pitchfork reviews alone decided winners, the list of winners would look very different 

(assuming you're not just joking around) 

• Like 3

yeah no it's insanely low :deadbanana4:

nnnn I was hoping this would be like when they review Lana's albums and their scores boost her significantly :toofunny2:

Posted (edited)

As someone who has never heard one of her albums before (I'm far from her demographic), and in fact only really know her Barbie song and some of Bad Guy via a TV commercial, I've just started listening to this album now out of curiosity.

It's very sleepy, middle of the road and sweet sounding. Would be nice to listen to with headphones looking out the window on a rainy winter day. She is impossible to understand though on the majority of tracks, but that's probably the vocal production more than anything, it's so deep in the mix. Birds of a Feather is clearly the best track as it has a good melody.

Edited by Punky Rooster
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ariesgroove said:

gave her a light 7 :deadbanana4:

Oh...I thought he was bopping the whole way through on stream :deadbanana:

13 minutes ago, Kayseri Mantisi said:

Solar Power is a highly sophisticated quality album which talks about topics we're generally not used to hearing on MPG albums such as questioning your future, existentialism, nature, connecting with your inner self, finding light, being alone with your thoughts, escapism and more.

Mind you these came out one and two years before the highly sophisticated Solar Power talking about those topics :rip:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Oh it was BAD for her :rip: they really thought she was getting the NFR! treatment :ahh:

Edited by Trainwreck
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

When does HITSDD usually post their predictions? I'm perched and nervous:jonnycat:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

it isn't a tragic score but it still baffles me :sad:

maybe I'm biased because I'm used to Lana's +7.5 but this truly didn't deserve less than WWAFA and HTE...

Edited by BloodLuster

6 is not a pan. :rip:

Maybe poptimism just died fr and we're back to pitchfork's old school scores

8 minutes ago, Bimbo said:

Mind you these came out one and two years before the highly sophisticated Solar Power talking about those topics :rip:

Did you really just compare Orange Trees & MARINA's lyrical ability to Solar Power and Lorde? I literally laughed out loud & probably will remember this for a long time thanks :rip:

• Like 2

Pitchfork's score means nothing btw this is one of their biased "we're different!" reviews, which is why they waited so long lol

They waited to see the outcome and reception and formed a biased opinion based on that for sure.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

they've been so out of touch these last few years it's actually embarrassing

The double standards are laughable :ahh: 

But as I have CONSISTENTLY said, I don't need reviewers to tell me what's good and what's not. Nor do I care what these reviewers say. TTPD is great, and HMHAS is great. That's all that's ever mattered to me :clap3: 

• Like 1

This is what she deserves for only giving us half a hyperpop slay song

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, perfectillusion204 said:

My ranking for now. I thoroughly enjoy every song.

1. L'Amour de Ma Vie

2. Lunch

3. Chihiro

4. Blue

5. The Greatest

6. The Diner

7. Birds of a Feather

8. Bittersuite (I LOVE the first part, wish it was longer)

9. Skinny

10. Wildflower

3 hours ago, Migs30283 said:

My track ranking for now. I enjoy every song like it's perfect.

1. Blue 

2. Chihiro 

3. L'Amour de Ma Vie

4. The Greatest

5. Birds of a Feather

6. Lunch

7. The Diner

8. Bittersuite 

9. Wildflower

10. Skinny

2 hours ago, Devin said:

since we doing rankings.

birds

greatest

blue / chihiro

the diner

l'amour

wildflower

bittersuite

skinny

lunch

spacer.png

Edited by bad guy
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I loved the album on first listen; but I also only focus on sonics, production and how the music makes me feel on initial listens.

After several listens I was mostly disappointed with the lyrics/rhymes being as basic as always, even if the themes were interesting. That is my biggest critique.

Another critique being that most of the album is very samey in terms of sound.

With that said, I think a 7/10 is a valid score.

Edited by mellenthin
  • Like 4

Not even mad about the P4K review. They've had a weird hard-on for being passive aggressive and weird about her music since her debut. It's very obvious they just don't want to feed into her universal acclaim to stand out. Literally every review of her albums are positive and then boom a mid score. Honestly they did the same with Lana. Not even bothering reading that ****.

But cut to 10 years where they do a re-evaluation of her discography and give it an 8 or something :rip: Losers!

• Like 7

Pitchfork wants to be constraining and different so bad all the time. 

7 minutes ago, bad guy said:

Not even mad about the P4K review. They've had a weird hard-on for being passive aggressive and weird about her music since her debut. It's very obvious they just don't want to feed into her universal acclaim to stand out. Literally every review of her albums are positive and then boom a mid score. Honestly they did the same with Lana. Not even bothering reading that ****.

But cut to 10 years where they do a re-evaluation of her discography and give it an 8 or something :rip: Losers!

Yeah they're incredibly cringe toward any artist that has mainstream traction.

spacer.png

oh eternal sunshine the acclaimed smash record that you are

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.