Am I allowed to complain about this to a friend?

NeverReallyOver

Posted (edited)

He had already made plans with other people and you asked him last minute, so I don't really blame him for saying no. He even offered to hang out with you tomorrow so it sounds like he does want to spend time with you? 

We don't know about the dynamic you and this friend have, but it clearly bothers you that he chose to hang out with other people and based on your other comments this is made worse by the fact that you are new in the city and don't have many friends. It's valid to feel lonely and isolated in that situation, but at the end of the day your entire social life should not revolve around this one person. It's not your friend's responsibility to create a friendship group for you. 

Sure, it'd be nice if he asked you to join in, but again, he has a reason why he said no and it is not necessarily because you did something bad or he doesn't like you.

Edited by John Slayne

As others have already said, he probably doesn't want to mix his friend groups. I have different friend groups of different personalities and I know which ones wouldn't mix well.

This isn't offensive imo. If I had made a plan in advance with someone, I wouldn't appreciate having someone else who I'm not yet acquainted with come join us. In this case, I would just cancel the plan altogether. I want to see you not your friend lmao.   

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 6:52 PM, NeverReallyOver said:

He's a close friend. I asked him to hang out this evening to go to a concrete place in the city. He told me no because he's going with other friends to the same place the same evening (but he's free to hang out tomorrow if I want).

If I was in the reverse situation I would have told him to join my other friends and go together. I feel hurt and it's not the first time he acts this way. Am I allowed to complain about this to him?

Seeing the replies in here are really eye opening. I was gonna say it is no big deal maybe he has his reasons and maybe you wont overlap with his friends. I have some straight friends and some gay ones and I really don't want to hang out with all them together.

Yeah, I had a friend whom I asked him to go out like ten times in a row and he rarely did if ever and usually would come out late, so in other words very annoying.  Also he would like never even send a message and often leave my messages seen and acted quite cocky around. Was trying to be nice with him and help him when he asked for help, so maybe he could start being more appreciative but in the end I cut him off by not contacting and he never contacted first so it was over.

I talked about this here years ago and ATRL members kinda warned me years ago to cut him off, should've listened to them.  

Edited by Aethereal

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.