FBI warns Worldwide Pride month celebrations could be targeted by terrorists

Gwendolyn

The FBI and Department of Homeland Security have issued a warning that Pride month celebrations, which run through June, might be targeted by foreign terrorist organizations or their supporters.

The release, dated 10 May, does not mention any specific threats or intelligence suggesting that any event, celebration or individual has been targeted.

But it said foreign terrorist organizations' (FTO) "efforts to commit or inspire violence against holiday celebrations, including Pride celebrations or LGBTQIA+-related venues, are compounded by the current heightened threat environment in the United States and other western countries".

The release also noted: "FTOs and their supporters have previously promoted anti-LGBTQIA+ rhetoric and targeted LGBTQIA+ related events or venues for attacks."

The domestic security agencies published a list of signs to watch out for, including violent threats made online or in the mail.

Potential attackers, it said, might also try to take photos of security-related equipment or access points at events; attempt to get into restricted areas or impersonate law enforcement personnel; or chat up staff at various venues to get information such as what types of events are upcoming and what the crowd sizes might be.

The agencies noted that 12 June marks the eighth anniversary of an attack on Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida, that killed 49 people and wounded 53. The club was celebrating an LGBTQ+ "Latin Night" when a gunman, Omar Mateen, who had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State terrorist group, opened fire.

In June last year, three alleged sympathizers of the Islamic extremist group were arrested in Vienna for attempting to attack a Pride event there.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/may/15/pride-month-terrorism-fbi

• Like 2

This is extremely vague too, I guess I will be avoiding London Pride this year :biblio:

• Like 1

Probably by Zionists

• Like 5
  • Confused 5
  • Thumbs Down 8

My dad was telling me this too. (He works in law enforcement) :mazen:

• Like 1

:dancehall: I'm not a pride goer but be safe everyone 

• Like 3

Probably the fbi themselves.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 7

I will make sure to be safe. Not surprised its them as usual

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recommend every queer person and their allies to carry whatever means of self protection are legal within wherever they live. 

• Like 4

The local terrorists are the greater concern

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Down 2

3 minutes ago, playboi said:

it's not terrorism it's peace spreading :eatpopcorn: 

Can we not joke about violence against queer people 

• Thanks 10

Are you telling me right wing nut jobs might try to kill me at any moment?  What's new? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gorjesspazze9 said:

My dad was telling me this too. (He works in law enforcement) :mazen:

This coming from law enforcement sound like a threat rather than a warning

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Let's be honest- they are referring to [LGBT] Pro-Palestinian protestors who will probably disrupt many parades and events, further attempting to demonize them.

Edited by ZeroSuitBritney

Yeah no, US intelligence doesn't play around. There is something coming, or they would not have put out such a warning.

• Like 2

New York Pride GIF by Storyful

I ain't scared 

23 minutes ago, ImpressMeMuch said:

Can we not joke about violence against queer people 

I'll do whatever I want because I'm also a victim 

Sorry if me making fun of islam is making you uncomfortable (not really sorry tho)

• Thumbs Down 1

26 minutes ago, playboi said:

I'll do whatever I want because I'm also a victim 

Sorry if me making fun of islam is making you uncomfortable (not really sorry tho)

Extremely rational response and definitely not a misrepresentation of my words! Here have a treat :bird:

:biblio:

10 minutes ago, ImpressMeMuch said:

Extremely rational response and definitely not a misrepresentation of my words! Here have a treat :bird:

because you didn't misrepresent my words when you claimed I was making fun of my community getting killed?:confused: you keep the treat baby

besides the fact that we've always used humor to cope with our oppression, this new soft cupcake mentality is not going to magically stop hate, it's time you realize who the real enemy is instead of sheltering it

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, playboi said:

because you didn't misrepresent my words when you claimed I was making fun of my community getting killed?:confused: you keep the treat baby

The reactions speak for themselves, your message wasn't clear.

(the rest of your message continues to assume things about me and so I'm not furthering it)

Edited by ImpressMeMuch
  • Thanks 1

The feds saying this? Okay

Can we just ****ing live our lives? :biblio: 

• Thanks 2

Weren't they right about the Moscow attack?

Guess I will only be attending the online event :biblionny:

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 9:17 AM, ZeroSuitBritney said:

Let's be honest- they are referring to [LGBT] Pro-Palestinian protestors who will probably disrupt many parades and events, further attempting to demonize them.

It does sound a bit like they are trying to justify the arrests of Pro-Palestinian protestors ahead of time.

But with Biden being one of the main war criminals in the Gaza genocide, it wouldn't surprise me if someone did something extreme in the US or another western country. Then watch all those celebrities who were quiet about the massive death toll in Gaza, suddenly decide that a massacre of civilians is a bad thing.

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.