TikTok influencer goes viral after tone deaf Met Gala video: "Let them eat cake"

TROPICUM

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, chiliam said:

a lot of people dont know about this phrase no matter how famous it is.

And its not even the point here, the point is rather we educate people about things they didn`t know. We just shortcut and jump to cancel/criticize "oh why you don`t know that", like you just suppose to know everything in life. 

And who the hell google a popular sound on tik tok before using it (it`s a popular sound with 100k videos already and 100k people use that sound for fun and nobody has a problem with it)

So i hope you actually know everything in life and keep judging other people for not knowing as much as you. 

I don't judge her for not knowing it, that's not her own fault. But I do think if you never care about context and just blindly use TikTok sounds without ever questioning where they came from or what they mean... I mean, everyone should do better than that. The posts I quoted gave "There's no way she could've known!" when she's a grown adult with easy access to gain that knowledge. I expect some media literacy from an influencer, yes.

Edited by The Next Day

Omg people getting mad whilst she lowkey serving

Trust me even the most impoverished people in the Western world today atleast arent starving to death 💀 

While the blockout itself was an extremely silly concept I thought the reason behind it was something more serious than this :deadbanana2:

A tiktok ban would seriously do more good to these people's brains

You cannot convince me that she didn't know who Marie Antoinette was and why that line is incredibly offensive, when months of research and planning go into the Met Gala outfits

There is no context to possibly spin this in a good light. We are witnessing a genocide and the effects of a man made famine in real time and she decides to come out and do this? As if she isn't affected in her little bubble and couldn't care less

Away with this type of narcissism. Influencers need to go in general 

Sounds like she got brave and miscalculated how untouchable she is 

6 hours ago, DeadInside said:

I had no clue the historical context of "let them eat cake" and I'm sure neither did Haylee or the majority of people who are "mad". 

This

Honestly, it just seems like people wanna connect every single thing people do to something that happened so long ago that most of us don't even know the context of

If we take every single celebrities "lowest point" or slight mishap in misunderstanding, every one of them would be canceled 

Honestly, most people hating on her seem like they're just bandwagoning on the hate and sound very bitter

• Like 1

i knew it would be this girl :skull: she's so annoying 

concubine

I cringed

The way Marie Antoinette never said that but she really did :suburban:

a lot of people in this thread are… not smart and not afraid to show it :suburban:

Posted (edited)

y'all cannot be seriously mad at this :rip: i don't get what's wrong

i'm French and it's not unusual for people to make jokes with the Marie-Antoinette quote and no one bats an eye, so why make it an issue now?

Edited by kalli
  • Like 1

still can't believe how people linked this to palestine. it is such a straw man concept, i just know those people are insufferable irl. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, suburbannature said:

Everyone falls for the engagement farming every single time 

like… it pains me to see people actually give stupid people attention and wonder why they keep up with their antics :deadbanana:

Posted (edited)

I didn't know what the phrase meant either or who said it tbh but then i didn't care that much to look into it. oh well. whomp whomp poor her 

Edited by BLΔCKP!NK

On 5/14/2024 at 3:48 AM, suburbannature said:

Everyone falls for the engagement farming every single time 

Do they? This honestly seems like fake outrage more than anything. Like nobody besides influencers who thought they could get clicks by reacting to this seems to take it seriously. Like a nobody quoted a fake quote from an early modern era on some red carpet.

No one cares about the performativeness of randoms with access to internet and top end technological devices. :cm:

Why is no one talking about how awful that dress was lol 

There's nothing wrong with what she did.

she was obviously playing a character.

We've entered that "how dare you be happy and not miserable like the rest of us" era again. :dies:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.