Harry Styles has no artistic narrative.

Kimbra

I like Harry's music a lot. His last album is amazing but I lowkey agree. I think even Zayn has more artistic narrative than him and Zayn used to not give a f- about his music career for a long time.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• More Than A Melody

• Kimbra

• Rose

• dirrtydiana

this discussion over Harry Styles of all people  :deadbanana4:

I've been saying this since he went solo lol. Nice to see more people waking up to just how utterly drab he is, even with all the cosplay. He might as well be AI. 

• Haha 1

I don't see why one would need an artistic narrative if you are consistently serving something consumers enjoy- which, based on his increasing sales, is what Harry is doing. 

No, I don't think he has a strong narrative at this point in his career, but that's okay. The "narratives" the op listed weren't really prevalent for those artists till they were years in their careers, anyways.  :michael: 

On 5/13/2024 at 4:38 PM, Kimbra said:

To quite honest I cannot describe Harry musically. Not even negatively. I regularly listen to him and can't even pick up on quirks unique to him that he isn't evoking from artist previously. Even Bruno Mars who's whole thing is retro music still sounds uniquely Bruno Mars. He feels like a placeholder artist despite his success. Like if Harry were to disappear musically would we even notice? Visually we may but that is the problem. What is so different about him and Charlie Puth or Shawn Mendes other than aesthetics. Since 2017 with his debut album it's like we've seen the finish line with him from the start The Next Bowie/Jagger and the machine pushed it but the journey to there has been denied to us so it rings a bit hollow.

Pin on Memes & greetings

his first album was actually really good .. sadly all his later albums started sounded like every other MPB. 

He is the official living poster for hair transplant pop boys

• Haha 4

New Album when?

On 5/15/2024 at 3:59 PM, Movimento Perpétuo said:

I like Harry's music a lot. His last album is amazing but I lowkey agree. I think even Zayn has more artistic narrative than him and Zayn used to not give a f- about his music career for a long time.

Zayns new songs r REALLY good

Y'all will say anything. Not like it matters anyway since he is one of the biggest male popstars rn. Cope :michael:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Can't believe harry styles is the topic of the 7 pages thread 

On 5/14/2024 at 4:49 PM, Kimbra said:

They tried to pull a Communion.

this random drag925056538891145246.gif?size=96&quality=l

Harry winning AOTY is still :rip:  He gives nothing and people eat it up, it seems like that is the industry today. 

• Like 1

I am not sure whether HS is underrated or overrated, but his music is terribly uninteresting to me. What a shame he is going down that mediocre pop tunes route, when his best album is probably his first, especially the heavier rock cuts

And when he won that AOTY at the Grammy's I was pissed off

• Like 1

I used to be a huge Harry stan, as you can see by my picture. I need to change it. Anyway, I realized that I don't like him anymore.

The reasons are, his music is overall not good, his music is very repetitive and light on the lyrics, he's not a good songwriter, and everything about him is crafted by others, whether it's co-writers, stylists, etc. How can you have an artistic narrative when your whole persona, music, and style are given to you by a team? 

He can sell 20 million albums, win 10 Grammy's, and I'll still feel the same. Harry's House is unlistenable, Fine Line has a few decent songs, and debut is just crap. So repetitive. Choruses from the debut include, "She's a good girl, she's a good girl, she's a good girl, feel so good" and "She's an angel, she's an angel, she's an angel, my only angel" and "Woman, woman, woman, la la la la la la la." 

And with the way he dresses, alrhough I don't like most of his outfits, you'd think his music was good, quirky, and interesting. But no. I think he dresses "quirky" to cover up the fact that he has little talent. It's a travesty that he won album of the year over any of his co-nominees.

• Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

He definitely does have a narrative imo. Sonically it's quite uremarkable I suppose, I would loosely describe it as soft pop rock with elements of indie music, all quite and safe and accessible (especially the most recent albums). But his image is definitely stronger and the root of his success. It tells more of a story too, leaning into that 70s flower power vibe but with heavy queer aesthetics built in which has obviously caused a lot of discussion about him baiting and appropriating queer culture; not nearly enough discussion to cancel him though, especially because the teen girls LOVE it and wouldn't care even if it was deemed problematic.

Maybe the issue we're identifying is that a large number of people have identified that image he's curated as inauthentic/false which is potenntially fair, although I do think he pulls it off relatively well.

15 minutes ago, Fruity said:

He definitely does have a narrative imo. Sonically it's quite uremarkable I suppose, I would loosely describe it as soft pop rock with elements of indie music, all quite and safe and accessible (especially the most recent albums). But his image is definitely stronger and the root of his success. It tells more of a story too, leaning into that 70s flower power vibe but with heavy queer aesthetics built in which has obviously caused a lot of discussion about him baiting and appropriating queer culture; not nearly enough discussion to cancel him though, especially because the teen girls LOVE it and wouldn't care even if it was deemed problematic.

Maybe the issue we're identifying is that a large number of people have identified that image he's curated as inauthentic/false which is potenntially fair, although I do think he pulls it off relatively well.

@More Than A Melody

See? A narrative. Even if it isn't the strongest.

17 minutes ago, Fruity said:

But his image is definitely stronger and the root of his success. It tells more of a story too, leaning into that 70s flower power vibe but with heavy queer aesthetics built in which has obviously caused a lot of discussion about him baiting and appropriating queer culture; not nearly enough discussion to cancel him though, especially because the teen girls LOVE it and wouldn't care even if it was deemed problematic.

I definitely agree. That why I said his biggest hurdle will be a queer man with talent and accessible good music.

On 5/13/2024 at 9:11 PM, Kimbra said:

His biggest hurdle will be if an actual gay/bi man with artistic merit and accessible music emerges. That sliver of intrigue will evaporate.

The focus will be on the authenticity of the "queerness" and if Harry is actually queer himself then the focus will become on the music in the hypothetical comparisons which he or his team will not want.

I do too. His ass looks amazing in those jumpsuit he wears.

43 minutes ago, Kimbra said:

@More Than A Melody

See? A narrative. Even if it isn't the strongest.

This isn't "an artistic narrative"... that's a sound. You needed ATRL user Fruity to tell you what his sound is? You don't have ears?

I beg of you to google the word "narrative" because I think what's missing here is a dictionary.

Let's be real most pop artists don't really have an artistic narrative in the first place. 

Harry Styles is a blank canvas for whatever the board room comes up with

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Into The Void said:

Let's be real most pop artists don't really have an artistic narrative in the first place. 

Yeah but I want him to be more than a pop artist.

Tbh yea, but for a major pop star, I think he's pretty good at putting effort into whichever aesthetic he is adopting and giving us something in the form of good MVs and fun performances.  He's also, and this is incredibly important, NOT annoying as a person.  He knows when to shut up and let others shine.

• Like 2

queerbaiting is his artistry

Didnt he just win a bunch of grammys

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.