Controversy over male teacher allowing female students to unbraid his hair

Sergi91

…and went LIVE on Instagram.  

Thoughts? Did he go too far? Or are people overreacting? 

Yes 

Usually I would say this was alright (I don't think he should've posted it, but it's otherwise harmless) but I saw on twitter that he was exposed for DMing a teenager so... :dancehall3:

Posted (edited)

I don't think it's really weird, just unprofessional. I think there is a time and place as well as a fine line between teachers and students dynamics. 

I haven't stepped in classroom for a while, but is it normal nowadays to be live streaming classes (even after school)? :rip:

Edited by Cottonmouth
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kummercell said:

Usually I would say this was alright (I don't think he should've posted it, but it's otherwise harmless) but I saw on twitter that he was exposed for DMing a teenager so... :dancehall3:

oh I didn't know about that… I thought the whole thing was a a huge exaggeration but if he also did that then yes it's justified :clack:

The context is what's important. He has been known to flirt with and hit on teenagers.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Girls/students that age always develop "crushes" on good-looking young teachers. So, very unprofessional regardless of his intent. 

Edited by Mandalore
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Cheers said:

The context is what's important. He has been known to flirt with and hit on teenagers.

Um what???????? Anyway American schools are really something

Edited by Princess Aurora

I wouldn't want my kids on social media. Deserved. :michael:

As a black male educator, we have to be really mindful about every move we make, and I feel like he should have known better than to be doing this and post it on social media. 

I wish teachers would get back to teaching the content instead of trying to make content. 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Cheers said:

Look at this 

:suburban:

ok, whats the big deal? he's a high school teacher. it's nice that these kids have an adult they can trust

2 minutes ago, Sergi91 said:

Look at this 

He got fired too

ot: not everything needs to be on social media :suburban:

I don't think it's an overreaction, while them unbraiding his hair is harmless you have to have very strict boundaries when working with kids (especially if you're an authority figure) bcs that's how grooming starts, with smaller harmless things to build a starting point to ramp up from. I'm not saying that's automatically his intent, but it is the reason why people are wary, he needs to be more professional.

Nothing that bad, based solely on the video, but unprofessional.

• ATRL Moderator

It's unprofessional since he's cute. Only ugly teachers should allow students to do something this intimate.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

What's with some teachers wanting to be friends with their students . I find it weird tbh

It's weird cause it's only girls doing it. I think if there were boys as well, it could've been less weird? But he is cute tho.

1 hour ago, Cottonmouth said:

I don't think it's weird, just unprofessional. I think there is a time and place as well as a fine line between teachers and students dynamics. 

I haven't stepped in classroom for a while, but is it normal nowadays to be live streaming classes (even after school)? :rip:Again I don't find it weird or 'too far', just really unprofessional. 

I used to work at a school and there were very strict social media policies on posting students. I've noticed a lot of teachers in other areas posting kids though, so it seems to vary by school district.

American schools must not be that strict because teachers can barley even put their hands on a student in the UK without 100 laws being broken 

I braided a (female) teacher after class once so I mean, didn't think anything of it

:bird:

1 hour ago, feelslikeadream said:

It's unprofessional since he's cute. Only ugly teachers should allow students to do something this intimate.

Is this the prettry people discriminarion Hailey Bieber was talking bout? 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mandalore said:

Girls/students that age always develop "crushes" on good-looking young teachers so very unprofessional regardless of his intent. 

A girl in the original comments explained it SO perfectly, she mentioned her first teacher crush around that age and how she would have cut off her own leg to get close enough to touch his hair. It took me a second but it helped me go back to that age before I started having adult relatonships and I do remember how intense even the SMALLEST of affection was as it was all new and I was UNDERAGE and UNDERDEVELOPED. So part of him being a teacher should be knowing that and thus coming to the conclusion that what is innocent to him and maybe even some of them still has bad optics. A professional would not do this let alone stream it live for some reason out to other young girls and young men, the whole thing is tacky.

Edited by satellites.™
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Cheers said:

Where is the evidence of this? I need the backstory. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.