Bette Midler regrets not suing 14 y/o Lindsay Lohan for exiting failed sitcom

prettyinpink940

Bette Midler is not holding back her thoughts on calling out her blunders from the past, and one of those is the 2000 sitcom Bette.

Midler recently recalled her stint as a sitcom star and called that experience a "mistake." She also regretted not suing Lindsay Lohan after she dropped out of the show following the pilot.

"I did a television show, Bette. Does it get any more generic than that? A big, big, big mistake," Midler said on David Duchovny's Fail Better podcast. "I think for several reasons. It was the wrong motivation. It was a part of the media I simply did not understand. I watched it. I appreciated it. I enjoyed it, But I didn't know what it meant to make it.

Bette aired on CBS from October 2000 through March 2001. The show created by Jeffrey Lane consisted of 18 episodes, two of which went unaired and was canceled after one season. Bette played a version of herself on the show, with Kevin Dunn playing her husband and Lindsay Lohan playing her daughter Rose in the pilot.

It was Lohan's departure from the sitcom where Midler noticed things happening "that were so astonishing."

"After the pilot, Lindsay Lohan decided she didn't want to do it, or she had other fish to fry," Midler said. "So Lindsay Lohan left the building and I said, well, now what do you do? And the studio didn't help me. It was extremely chaotic . . . and if I had been in my right mind, or if I had known that my part of my duties were to stand up and say, 'This absolutely will not do, I'm going to sue,' then I would have done that. But I seem to have been cosseted in some way that I couldn't get to the writer's room. I couldn't speak to the showrunner. I couldn't make myself clear."

https://deadline.com/2024/05/bette-midler-cbs-sitcom-big-mistake-regrets-not-suing-lindsay-lohan-1235908148/

girl get over it.

• Like 1

Kinda weird of her. She was an adult beefing with a 14 year old girl? 

• Haha 9

Just now, MALAMENTE said:

i mean it's business. the show would've definitely done better with lindsay and she signed a contract. causing financial damages bc someone doesn't fulfill their contracts is a reason to sue. 

• Like 13

Imagine how bitter you can be...

Imagine pushing 100 and regretting not suing a kid for something that happened 30 years ago

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, MALAMENTE said:

Business is business 

This bitter woman is always mad about something.

Lindsay only shot pilot. Once pilot was picked up she was never in the picture and role was re-casted. She didn't leave the show like she implied here. 

• Like 3

No one has heard from this woman in like 30 years and now I'm seeing tons of headlines about her. Does she have a project coming out or something?

spacer.png

Sounds like she meant she should've sued the studio.

Also not her flubbing and admitting a show with her name as the literal title needed a 14 year old in order to be successful 

• Haha 6

The divine miss m is only in the headlines for the bad reasons now it seems :rip:

I don't think that's what she meant :suburban:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

the way Bette's insinuating Lindsay's presence was needed to make her sitcom a hit :clap3:

ahh Lindsay's power from such a young age, it amazes me 

anyway imagine saying out loud you should've sued a child and forced her to keep working against her will. and people wonder why child stars have issues, the entertainment industry is so vile.

Lindsay decided not to stay on the show after the pilot got picked up (like many actors do) because Bette moved production from NYC to LA and Lindsay didn't want to leave her family.

Bette must be insufferable though because the actor who played her husband also quit the show after 11 episodes and they scrambed for several eps to get a replacement :dies:

Lindsay's character was barely in the pilot too :skull:

Edited by okgo

Apparently the pilot was shot in New York and then when it got picked up to series, Bette Decided she wanted to shoot in Los Angeles… That's why Lindsay left 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Thanks 2

That's pathetic :biblio: get over yourself Grandma

Instead of blaming other people for a failed sitcom, maybe the timing wasn't right or the show didn't resonate with watchers at the time.

1 hour ago, simplywohoo said:

i mean it's business. the show would've definitely done better with lindsay and she signed a contract. causing financial damages bc someone doesn't fulfill their contracts is a reason to sue. 

Lindsay was a raising movie star at the time why woudl she waste her time with an obviously failed unfunny sitcom?

omg she clearly meant the studio. she mentioned the things AFTER lindsay's exit that shouldn't have happened

dont skip school guys

Isn't this the woman who had a hit with the song that was about God not helping mankind because he only sees this beautiful blue-green planet from far away and thinks everything is how it seems? Well, she always had great judgment, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, okgo said:

the way Bette's insinuating Lindsay's presence was needed to make her sitcom a hit :clap3:

ahh Lindsay's power from such a young age, it amazes me 

anyway imagine saying out loud you should've sued a child and forced her to keep working against her will. and people wonder why child stars have issues, the entertainment industry is so vile.

Lindsay decided not to stay on the show after the pilot got picked up (like many actors do) because Bette moved production from NYC to LA and Lindsay didn't want to leave her family.

Bette must be insufferable though because the actor who played her husband also quit the show after 11 episodes and they scrambed for several eps to get a replacement :dies:

Lindsay's character was barely in the pilot too :skull:

Just skimmed the pilot. Lindsay looks so out of place… she barely had any lines and her acting was terrible from what we could see. The show itself looked super cringe. I can see why it didn't last. Lindsay went on to do better projects where she got to shine!

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Lindsay was a raising movie star at the time why woudl she waste her time with an obviously failed unfunny sitcom?

Because she signed a contract

24 minutes ago, simplywohoo said:

To film the show in New York, it was Bette who wanted to go to Los Angeles for the show

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, simplywohoo said:

she was a child :skull: minors can basically void their contracts whenever they like so Bette would've failed if she had attempted to sue

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.