• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MusicIsMyMaster

• Miichael

• V$.

• josesuxx

I dont know, I saw 7min for the first song and then heard that try-hard intro and couldn't make it through. Like, you don't have to make "meaningful" pop all the time. Its a bit exhausting and tiring.

Maybe gonna give pt2 a try if that is potentially more radio friendly

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

probably goes really hard for insecure people

Spoiler

jokes aside, its just... fine? idk. her voice is always compelling so ill give it a few more spins before i decide i dont like it.

I'm really indifferent at the direction her career has taken following Escapism sonically. Lots of M21CB and this song share the exact same problem of not being the type of music I can consider listening to constantly. Whether that's because of the preachy word-salad lyricism is another thing. I don't think I'll be returning to this unfortunately. :monkey:

• Like 4

i'm not big on RAYE beyond the hits and a lot of this was pretty dull but the swing bit came in just as i was about to turn it off and it absolutely bangs, pt iii is the only bit worth listening to but it's great

I totally disagree with the criticism here, this is absolutely great.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Thin White Duke said:

I totally disagree with the criticism here, this is absolutely great.

Same, I'm struggling to check other new releases, cause I'm just listening to this. Even if it's too much as a whole thing, you can just listen to the stand alone parts

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alex said:

I'm really indifferent at the direction her career has taken following Escapism sonically. Lots of M21CB and this song share the exact same problem of not being the type of music I can consider listening to constantly. Whether that's because of the preachy word-salad lyricism is another thing. I don't think I'll be returning to this unfortunately. :monkey:

ikr.

This new type of music isn't really my type of what I listen what she's done with most of M21CB (I love Escapism, The Thrill Is Gone demo, Black Mascara, Hard Out Here demo and sometimes Flip A Switch ft. Normani.) but all the other tracks have all under 10 streams cause it just ain't my type.

I was so hyped (and she seemed to be too at the time) when she teased songs from the scrapped album which was supposed to have cest la vie, born again, fantastic etc. The outtakes and demos from that era are just TOP TIER. she seemed to enjoy those songs too

I get that she wants to do "meaningful, critically acclaimed, sonically impressive" music like M21CB but she also has loved doing dance beat tracks according to her previously. I get all the label drama cause I've followed her a long time but still she created so many dance beat songs for her scrapped album(s) which she loved and wanted us to hear based on her ig stories.

it broke my heart a bit when she said that quote under. I became her fan in 2019 because of her dance-y tracks and that's how I personally got to known her as an artist so yeah this genre switch is something to chew on. it just sucks she undermines her previous work:katie: 

I think lady gaga is a good example that she knows what her fans like but also does something for her (the jazz albums, country etc) and still doesn't bash on her pop/dance work, in summary.

hopefully she does something in vein of ESS or the scrapped album, for the older fans

small bit starting from 12:00-12:15min "...but avoid anything before 2021, thanks"

Edited by alexaalto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

but the pt. ii is still nice here. the jazz part just doesn't flow with it, too big of a contrast, it could've been smoother like billie did with l'amour de ma vie, bittersuite etc.

49 minutes ago, alexaalto said:

it broke my heart a bit when she said that quote under. I became her fan in 2019 because of her dance-y tracks and that's how I personally got to known her as an artist so yeah this genre switch is something to chew on. it just sucks she undermines her previous work:katie: 

Yeah I don't understand her trashing her previous songs. Like yeah it makes sense for things like BED or By Your Side because those were DJ collabs her label made her do, but nothing about her SECOND EP was giving label forced. Side Tape was kinda the best of both worlds with a commercial sound that still felt authentic to her and the same goes for Euphoric Sad Songs to a certain extent. She expects me to believe she hates songs like Shhh, Love Of Your Life and Natalie Don't? I won't accept it sorry

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, glitch said:

Yeah I don't understand her trashing her previous songs. Like yeah it makes sense for things like BED or By Your Side because those were DJ collabs her label made her do, but nothing about her SECOND EP was giving label forced. Side Tape was kinda the best of both worlds with a commercial sound that still felt authentic to her and the same goes for Euphoric Sad Songs to a certain extent. She expects me to believe she hates songs like Shhh, Love Of Your Life and Natalie Don't? I won't accept it sorry

indeed, this is what I mean:katie:  ESS is so great EP/album and if stripped those lyrics cut deep. and I love the productions of those

• Like 1

music video out now!

• Like 1

i thought she would stop putting a period after her song titles

its so cringe

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, alexaalto said:

music video out now!

the blonde wig scenes gives such a ESS / Natalie don't vibes:katie2: cool video

I understand the criticism of her "switching" from the type of music that had her bubbling under for so long.  However if I were to surmise I would think that she probably is still so close to that label mess that she may just view that time/music as a personally extremely challenging point in her life/career so it is understandable why she doesn't look at that music in a favorable light.  

I actually love this song but I also have hope that once she gets a bit more removed from the trauma/mess of her issues with her old label she will rediscover a fondness for fun light pop songs b/c she does those so well.

• Like 2

GREAT video too :clap3:

• Like 1

Wow :clap3: i love this. Part 2 is obviously my fav but all of them are very cute… it's obv a passion project for her I think it paid off!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glitch said:

clock it :clap3:

• Thanks 1

I like Part II. I think she's at a point (especially in the UK) where she could easily play the game again and be a full-on pop/R&B star if she wanted, but she's been so traumatized by the industry side of it all that she just wants to create the art she wants for now, which I respect. It is why she went independent after all. Even though this specific single is a bit messy for me, I can see the passion she's put behind the song and concept, which is rare to see from bigger artists today who have major labels casting a shadow over their artistic vision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also it's a bit weird how some of you are so upset at how she feels about her old music. She's talked extensively about the abuse and unfair treatment she's faced in the industry and is finally making music she wants to make. Do y'all want artists to do their thing or release songs they're forced to make by their label? :huh:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

what a trip of a song. Not sure if I truly like it but I'll give her A+ for innovation :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.