Biden uses crackdown on student protests to promote $37b bill for 100k new cops

Communion

12 hours ago, Devin said:

NYPD is mad corrupt all the bs i seen :skull:we dont need more cops. a complete overhaul of better cops, yes. 

This is a valid argument. Not just "wanting less cops" but better training and accountability. Cops should not be above the law and get protected by the state using tax dollars 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Cesar said:

Sure, but the amount of cops isn't gonna stop people from reckless driving. How do you think the thought process gonna go exactly?

"Oh my god they just hired 100k cops, maybe I shouldn't drink and drive." 

no one is thinking that. don't tell me you want to subject citizens to checkpoints like that other user suggested. just giving up the rights you have left, just for a false sense of security 

I never said that, just that there, in theory would be a correlation between police enforcement and crimes committed. Yes, if people know at any point there's 3 cops patrolling the freeway they're less likely to drunk drive. When you believe you are unlikely to get caught by a cop you're more likely to speed and do stupid stuff. 

That being said, amount of cops IS useless when they aren't trained properly. So simply hiring 100k additional police officers with shitty training doesn't help. It's more nuanced that people make it seem. We shouldn't just "not hire anymore cops because cops bad" but also shouldn't blindly hire more without improving the system first 

• Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, Gaia said:

I never said that, just that there, in theory would be a correlation between police enforcement and crimes committed. Yes, if people know at any point there's 3 cops patrolling the freeway they're less likely to drunk drive. When you believe you are unlikely to get caught by a cop you're more likely to speed and do stupid stuff. 

That being said, amount of cops IS useless when they aren't trained properly. So simply hiring 100k additional police officers with shitty training doesn't help. It's more nuanced that people make it seem. We shouldn't just "not hire anymore cops because cops bad" but also shouldn't blindly hire more without improving the system first 

The point the user you originally applied to is making is that regardless of the amount of cops on the street, it's not going to stop reckless driving.

statistics show that, more police =/= less crime

If they actually want to tackle the issue of reckless driving, they should put that money towards public transportation.

• Confused 1

I do believe many are drastically over dramatizing how bad this will be regardless of the outcome for clickbait/engagement, but I for sure would like to know exactly how this money would be spent. If we are going to just keep funding more hires who lack training and things that do not help poor running departments then shove it. If we are going to invest in actually fixing and properly maintaining/developing our police force properly to lessen the negative effects we see all the time then great. Though in some locations of course more staff AND more training/development is needed. But let's be real, we all know it probably won't be properly utilized sadly. I will still take police over no police any day, at least for my city as they help keep it very safe and run well. Many others probably not so much depending

Where most of that budget is going:

• Haha 1

Abolish the Police. :bird:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.