1st in U.S. congestion pricing begins in Manhattan June 30th despite lawsuits

Vermillion

confred.png

June 30. That's when car drivers will be charged an additional $15 to enter Manhattan at 61st Street and below, while trucks could be charged between $24 and $36, depending on size.

The long-awaited congestion pricing model set to make history in the United States will begin in New York City one second after 12 a.m. on the final Sunday in June, MTA officials announced. The date is two weeks later than the transit agency had initially targeted.

All 110 toll readers are installed, positioning the MTA to be ready to collect by June. Federal judges on either side of the river could delay the plans, but the MTA has said it expects those legal challenges to fail. […] Link

Make that city more unaffordable. That'll solve everything.

This is a step in the right direction. Encourage more people to travel to the city by public transit, reduce air pollution and reduce the nonstop car gridlock.

Well, it has been a thing in London for more than a decade and it has funded improvements to public transport.
Hopefully it can be a measure to build the Second avenue subway line and improve bus services

I think they had something like this in Rome. Tbh, the reduction of cars seemed kinda nice when I was there. I hear Rome used to be constant cars.

They have this in London and the traffic is still crazy soooo

• ATRL Moderator
25 minutes ago, JO1s said:

Make that city more unaffordable. That'll solve everything.

The large majority of people that commute into Manhattan by car are wealthy, they can afford this. 

• Thumbs Down 1

They should go even further and pedestrianize large swaths of Manhattan like you see in Europe or Latin America. There is no reason why all of that island space should be devoted exclusively to cars and really the same can be said for Queens and Bronx and Brooklyn. 

• Like 2

If it means more investment to the public transport system, more power to them

31 minutes ago, DAP said:

They should go even further and pedestrianize large swaths of Manhattan like you see in Europe or Latin America. There is no reason why all of that island space should be devoted exclusively to cars and really the same can be said for Queens and Bronx and Brooklyn. 

The tragic part about the U.S. and blue states in general is it will cost millions of dollars to do environmental studies on whether reducing car traffic will be good for the environment.  

3 hours ago, HRHCOLLECTION said:

They have this in London and the traffic is still crazy soooo

Hmm. Don't know the stats but to me central London has noticeably less traffic than ten years ago.

I'm sure the MTA will use these funds to improve public transit  :clown:

I should've noted in the OP that there are lower income commuter applications available, but the question is how and when they'll be approved

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.