Ozempic will disrupt big tobacco, candy companies, and alcohol brands,

shyboi

"Growing concerns" that Ozempic will disrupt big tobacco, candy companies, and alcohol brands, according to Morgan Stanley

Are GLP-1 drugs the first real threat to the hyper-processed food and alcohol industries?

Until recently, the dominance of ultra-processed food and alcohol companies has seemed unassailable. With corporate food engineers cranking out more and more hyper-palatable products, the negative health impacts seemed to only be moving in one direction.  The tide might be about to turn.

Morgan Stanley recently did a survey of people taking GLP-1 drugs like Ozempic or Mounjaro.  CNBC and Quartz got private looks at the survey results.  Quartz wrote:

The investment bank also surveyed about 300 GLP-1 users about their consumption habits while taking the medication. Analysts at the bank have previously cautioned that the growing use of GLP-1s will put some longterm pressure on fast food sales, as users have reported spending less money at restaurants…

While 40% of survey respondents said they smoked cigarettes at least weekly before starting a GLP-1 treatment, that number fell to 24% after they started the treatment. Meanwhile, weekly e-cigarette usage dropped from 30% of respondents to 16% after they started taking a GLP-1.

Morgan Stanley found similar results when it asked respondents about their use of alcohol. About 56-62% of alcohol consumers on GLP-1s reported drinking less alcohol since starting the medications, with about 14-18% cutting their alcohol consumption entirely.

full article:

https://curingaddiction.substack.com/p/growing-concerns-that-ozempic-will

• Like 2

GLP-1s truly are miracle drugs, it's a shame that they're mainly known for being a silver bullet that celebrities take to get skinny.. for now at least.

I have so many friends and family who have lost their lives to addiction and I wonder if GLPs would have saved them. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, perfect blue said:

GLP-1s truly are miracle drugs, it's a shame that they're mainly known for being a silver bullet that celebrities take to get skinny.. for now at least.

I have so many friends and family who have lost their lives to addiction and I wonder if GLPs would have saved them. 

they will get cheaper and more accessible and the GP will start abusing them 

Is there THAT many people consuming ozempic or the likes to disrupt those massive corporations?

I thought there was shortage and there were not enough for everyone who wanted

Edited by Trent W
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Trent W said:

Is there THAT many people consuming ozempic or the likes to disrupt those massive corporations?

I thought there was shortage and there were not enough for everyone who wanted

what is happening is that they are studying the potential DEMAND if they make it more accessible to the masses 

people would buy it like candy and companies can make billions out of it

• Like 1

tobacco, alcohol and sugary drugsfood... good riddance i guess?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shyboi said:

what is happening is that they are studying the potential DEMAND if they make it more accessible to the masses 

people would buy it like candy and companies can make billions out of it

Oh okay makes sense

I do think that if it becomes more accessible its going to be equally bad/abused by the general population 

Being on Ozempic isn't sustainable in the long term though, I'm not sure how it works for people with actual medical needs for it but you'd eventually get to a point where you lose too much weight and need to stop

And because addicts probably wouldn't address the root causes of their addictions once they get off it they'll likely just go back to their old habits

• Like 2

even more reason to make it more affordable

to skinnier future

EVMUvLRUUAEgmtt?format=jpg&name=small

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

Being on Ozempic isn't sustainable in the long term though, I'm not sure how it works for people with actual medical needs for it but you'd eventually get to a point where you lose too much weight and need to stop

And because addicts probably wouldn't address the root causes of their addictions once they get off it they'll likely just go back to their old habits

My understanding is that once you reach your goal weight you're supposed to take a smaller, less frequent maintenance dose at for the rest of your life (insurance makes that hard to do though). 

I know addicts that are on permanent doses of methadone/suboxone and all it does is make them sick when they take opioids. Why not take a GLP instead which actually helps to break the habit on a hormonal/chemistry level and rewire the brain?

If it makes it easy to lose weight wouldn't that encourage people to watch what they eat less? :thing:

15 minutes ago, Illuminati said:

If it makes it easy to lose weight wouldn't that encourage people to watch what they eat less? :thing:

That is not how it works. Ozempic makes you not want to overindulge. For example if you are having a pizza, you will be okay with 1-2 slices. You will not want to eat the whole thing. When you are out drinking, you will not have the desire to drink more than 2-3 drinks. Basically it makes you want to be moderate, from what I understood.

Skinny and health is IN! Fats and tobacco is OUT. 

• Thanks 1

We're taking a drug to end other drugs? Gurl, bye

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, magazine said:

we all know you'll be in line bestiana

• Haha 1

Ozempic doing what the USA food industry won't. :clap3:

54 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

That is not how it works. Ozempic makes you not want to overindulge. For example if you are having a pizza, you will be okay with 1-2 slices. You will not want to eat the whole thing. When you are out drinking, you will not have the desire to drink more than 2-3 drinks. Basically it makes you want to be moderate, from what I understood.

it's not even a 'want to be moderate', i took ozempic for a month and it annihilated my hunger, and because it slows down digestion there are psychological effects (because of the gut-brain connection) like time felt slower, if i was drinking alcohol or taking any drugs (medication or otherwise) because digestion is slower it takes so much longer to start taking effects and therefore much longer for the effects to fade, i just hated how "slow" life became. i might take another month's supply closer to summer though but it's not something i wanna stay on, i don't really need it anyways 

18 minutes ago, RideOrDie said:

it's not even a 'want to be moderate', i took ozempic for a month and it annihilated my hunger, and because it slows down digestion there are psychological effects (because of the gut-brain connection) like time felt slower, if i was drinking alcohol or taking any drugs (medication or otherwise) because digestion is slower it takes so much longer to start taking effects and therefore much longer for the effects to fade, i just hated how "slow" life became. i might take another month's supply closer to summer though but it's not something i wanna stay on, i don't really need it anyways 

That's interesting because I always hear people complaining that life moves too quickly. So did it make once enjoyable things seem more boring because of the psychological time effect? Or was it only bad if you were doing something that wasn't fun?

Edited by Absinthe

Most insurance companies aren't covering these drugs due to it being cosmetic but the FDA just started approving them for Cardiovascular reasons. 

I hope it causes a societal change, where healthy food becomes the standard just because the people on these drugs dislike sugar and alcohol now. It'll save the next generation at the very least. 

https://www.pharmacist.com/Pharmacy-News/fda-approves-semaglutide-to-reduce-cv-risk#:~:text=FDA announced the decision to,CVD and obesity or overweight.

• Like 1

more money for novo nordisk :clap3:

Cant wait for the gaga commercial

3 hours ago, magazine said:

But it's the good kind of drug

spacer.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, LittleStarmen said:

Cant wait for the gaga commercial

Oh Za Za Za Za

Pim Pa Pa Pa Pa

Ic ah Ga Ga Ga

OhOhOhzempic

On 4/28/2024 at 12:09 PM, Mordecai said:

Depends on your dosage. Once you lose the weight you want, you can lower your dose to something that is sustainable. Basically low enough that you can eat, but high enough that you do not gain and instead maintain your weight loss.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.