Canadian MPP asked to leave legislature for wearing keffiyeh

SoldierofLove

During a session at Queen's Park on Thursday, MPP for Hamilton Centre Sarah Jama was asked to leave the house because she was wearing a keffiyeh. 

A keffiyeh is a black and white checkered scarf traditionally worn across much of the Middle East and has come to symbolize solidarity with Palestinians. 

Jama, who was a former NDP MPP until she was removed from the party back in October over her comments on the Israel-Gaza war, was asked to leave the chamber by House Speaker Ted Arnott. 

Earlier this month, Arnott banned keffiyehs in the legislature over concerns that wearing one made an overtly political statement. NDP Leader Marit Stiles issued a motion last week to overturn the ban, but that failed to pass.

https://nowtoronto.com/news/canadians-react-after-mpp-sarah-jama-asked-to-leave-legislature-for-wearing-keffiyeh/

No overt political statements in a place that literally goes over politics. Okay that makes sense. 

• Like 1

What's even more ironic is they are openly allowing people to wear their Kippah's and Star of David necklaces. Make it make sense. :ace: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

genocide in Gaza proved that the West is just as blood-thirsty and genocidal as it's ever been and their talk of "liberal democracy" is just a smokescreen to hide their racist, colonial agenda. 

• Thanks 1

I just don't understand it. What's wrong with people in the West? How can they be so inhumane? I hope the rest of the world doesn't forget this and one day reproaches the West for its hypocritical behavior.

Isn't that a crime?

Edited by bielneira

11 minutes ago, Anthinos said:

I just don't understand it. What's wrong with people in the West? How can they be so inhumane? I hope the rest of the world doesn't forget this and one day reproaches the West for its hypocritical behavior.

Inhumanity is the core of the West. The US, UK, EU have sold this lie to their populations that their societies are somehow beacons of human rights when they have been responsible for the worst atrocities ever committed. Only folks who think these countries are acting "hypocritical" and not according to their very nature

• Thumbs Down 2

37 minutes ago, Mezik said:

What's even more ironic is they are openly allowing people to wear their Kippah's and Star of David necklaces. Make it make sense. :ace:

Wearing a keffiyeh in legislature differs from wearing a kippah or a Star of David necklace due to their distinct cultural and political contexts. The keffiyeh carries strong political symbolism related to Palestinian nationalism, potentially conflicting with the legislature's neutrality. Conversely, the kippah and Star of David represent religious identity within Judaism, without inherent political connotations. That's like saying someone shouldn't be able to wear a hijab or a Cross necklace in legislature, but you obviously wouldn't put those two and two together. Make it make sense. :ace:

Edited by Sun
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

23 minutes ago, Sun said:

Wearing a keffiyeh in legislature differs from wearing a kippah or a Star of David necklace due to their distinct cultural and political contexts. The keffiyeh carries strong political symbolism related to Palestinian nationalism, potentially conflicting with the legislature's neutrality. Conversely, the kippah and Star of David represent religious identity within Judaism, without inherent political connotations. That's like saying someone shouldn't be able to wear a hijab or a Cross necklace in legislature, but you obviously wouldn't put those two and two together. Make it make sense. :ace:

Many Zionists wear the Kippah and Star of David to reflect their belief that Palestinian lives don't matter. If the keffiyeh is banned, the Star of David and Kippah should be too because it's political to make a statement that Israel and white lives matter more than Palestinians.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 5

49 minutes ago, John Slayne said:

genocide in Gaza proved that the West is just as blood-thirsty and genocidal as it's ever been and their talk of "liberal democracy" is just a smokescreen to hide their racist, colonial agenda. 

You're not wrong, but the west is being so stubborn on Israel because it's sort of the most important military alliance the US and Canada have in the region, and losing that alliance would be disastrous to whatever leverage they have.  That's why you keep seeing these half-assed condemnations by the White House of violence by Israeli forces while simultaneously giving Israel billions of dollars in military funding.  They all know what they are doing is morally and ethically wrong, but they believe the cost of being genocide-enabling hypocrites is worth it over losing decades of military work and presence.  It's bad enough that our political parties would rather fund a genocide than give our own people free healthcare...  :toofunny2:

3 minutes ago, Mezik said:

Many Zionists wear the Kippah and Star of David to reflect their belief that Palestinian lives don't matter. If the keffiyeh is banned, the Star of David and Kippah should be too because it's political to make a statement that Israel and white lives matter more than Palestinians.

Do y'all literally pull **** out of your ass at this point? Jfc :deadbanana2:

Re-read what I said - maybe it'll click a second time. If not, re-read it again.

1 minute ago, Sun said:

Do y'all literally pull **** out of your ass at this point? Jfc :deadbanana2:

Re-read what I said - maybe it'll click a second time. If not, re-read it again.

I did.

You're saying that Israeli people should be allowed to be shown solidarity, but any instance of solidarity towards Palestinians and the Genocide and human right violations Israel is committing against the Palestinians should be censored.

If someone wearing a keffiyeh makes you uncomfortable - perhaps you are a racist in support of genocide and should rethink your views.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Mezik said:

I did.

You're saying that Israeli people should be allowed to be shown solidarity, but any instance of solidarity towards Palestinians and the Genocide and human right violations Israel is committing against the Palestinians should be censored.

If someone wearing a keffiyeh makes you uncomfortable - perhaps you are a racist in support of genocide and should rethink your views.

I'm saying that a KIPPAH and STAR OF DAVID are symbols of JUDAISM, not ISRAEL. Learn the DIFFERENCE between the TWO. Perhaps you are an antisemite in support of prejudice against Jewish people and should rethink your views.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 minute ago, Sun said:

I'm saying that a KIPPAH and STAR OF DAVID are symbols of JUDAISM, not ISRAEL. Learn the DIFFERENCE between the TWO. Perhaps you are an antisemite in support of prejudice against Jewish people and should rethink your views.

Nah I'm not an anti semite.

But if they are banning a keffiyeh, they need to apply the same rules to all cultures and all religions. Just because someone supports the freedom of Palestine and believes Israel is a terrorist state does not mean they are anti semitic.

Believe or not, Palestinian lives matter and they are as deserving as Israelis to live peacefully in their native land. :smile: 

Israel, and the IDF are terrorists. :michael: 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

7 hours ago, Sun said:

I'm saying that a KIPPAH and STAR OF DAVID are symbols of JUDAISM, not ISRAEL

Sounds like your argument that anti-Zionism is inherently antisemitism has backfired in ways you didn't expect and fully deserve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Communion said:

Sounds like your argument that anti-Zionism is inherently antisemitism has backfired in ways you didn't expect and fully deserve.

Nothing backfired - it's just certain girls on a pop forum don't know the difference between religion and nationality, but I'd be lying to you if I said I was surprised. :heart:

• Thumbs Down 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.