Normani - 'DOPAMINE'

zeta

7 hours ago, sweetkiss said:

Watching Zach Sang's interview makes me wonder why she is putting so much disappointment out there now that the album is out. I understand she's sorrowful about this painful process, but from the business standpoint, it's not the smartest strategy. People are not going to check the album if you cloud it with so much resentment. It sounds like she resents the album almost. 

i mean, i could be wrong, i hope people will care about what she says, but album is about sex and she presents herself as some sexual goddess on the cover and then interviews are about sadness.. it doesnt seem cohesive.

i understand you should aknowledge your fans waited 5 years for the album (or more) but change the topic, focus on excitement for making music and lie at least how awesome you feel about it. she said in zach sang interview she outgrew insomnia. and then she pretends to be shy and like she cant speak on songs deeper.

idk.

i love the album, but this promo is coming for katy perry witness  promo where she streamed her crying and stuff

edit: continued watching and now she doesnt even feel take my time 

idk whats with this girl. 

I feel like people are doing too much tbh.  She said she didn't like the hook on all yours not the entire song and she said she felt like she outgrew insomnia but that's why she went back and re-recorded it with newer vocals. She explained things more in the Terrell interview which isunny enough was shot in the same day as the Zach sang one but the terrell interviews were a million times better than the Zach Sang interview. The only song it seemed like she really disliked to me was "Take my time". She's definitely way too over critical of herself but some people are making it seem like she hates the entire album :deadbanana:

• Like 4

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nooniebao

• Wonbin

• Cap87

• popularmoonlight

23 minutes ago, remming said:

I feel like people are doing too much tbh.  She said she didn't like the hook on all yours not the entire song and she said she felt like she outgrew insomnia but that's why she went back and re-recorded it with newer vocals. She explained things more in the Terrell interview which isunny enough was shot in the same day as the Zach sang one but the terrell interviews were a million times better than the Zach Sang interview. The only song it seemed like she really disliked to me was "Take my time". She's definitely way too over critical of herself but some people are making it seem like she hates the entire album :deadbanana:

I get that but I honestly don't recall another artist who releases and album and then goes like 'oh i don't like this bridge' or 'i don't really feel this song but glad you like it' :deadbanana:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This interview was the first time I truly connected with her on a personal level.

I can relate to her experience. While I'm not a famous musician, I often find myself avoiding even looking at some of my best work after I've finished it. The completion process can take years, and by then, I'm well aware of every imperfection. I see the places where my creative vision wasn't fully realized, and it feels less than satisfying, even if others might not notice those flaws.

It's clear that artistic integrity is important to her (see her feelings on Motivation). Perhaps that's also why she hasn't fully invested in commercially-driven strategies to promote this project.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lipes said:

I get that but I honestly don't recall another artist who releases and album and then goes like 'oh i don't like this bridge' or 'i don't really feel this song but glad you like it' :deadbanana:

I like hearing what she likes and doesn't like but I already realized she's one of those people who aren't going to be 100% happy with anything they put out. She seems to be really in her head and overthinks everything :laugh:. In general though she seems very happy that the album is out and excited about it for the most part

• Like 3

Whew...

Have avoided her thread for a minute to process everything. 

The Good

Candy Paint video is confirmed to be coming and is a thing. Also, the album is good and there seems to be some kind of "get the album out and I'll build from there" to her rollout. 

The Odd

I do not like (and I repeat DO NOT LIKE) how much she is showing her dislike for certain tracks on the album. Ironically some of the fan faves. Sis, you are selling a product. If you don't like it, why should we?

I blame the modern age of over-indulging in "telling it like it is" in some kind of bid for relatability points or just flat out doing/saying too much. The girls are forgetting that they are a product that is selling a product. They are prioritizing "keeping it real" at the expense of this and thus end up confusing potential consumers about what they're supposed to sell.

The Annoying

Though I get why (e.g. possible legalities etc), it's kind of annoying how little she is actually saying in regards to the reasons for the album delay. She says a lot of words but doesn't actually say. In one regard, I get that she has to tread carefully, in the sense that anyone she publicly slams may end up being her label head or something down the line. But I also think when selling 12k what does it lose her to be a little more direct about the actual issues encountered, even if so to rebrand from the stigma of "she never releases" still attached to her.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lipes said:

not only she said she outgrew insomnia, but she also doesn't like Take My Time that much, don't like the All Yours bridge and I won't even start on Little Secrets...

I've never seen an artist talk this bad about their own material WHILE PROMOTING IT. to talk bad things about Motivation like she's been doing is one thing, but about Dopamine... and she's been cooking this album for all these years and still isn't satisfied? be for real lol

(the album is amazing tho, she doesn't know what she's saying)

ill be honest, i went to watch Terrell show hoping for something from normani

and she said this about the guy liking take my time 

"im happy for you".  that was so condensending it drew me off of dopamine even though i initially liked it

dude promoted her album harder than her. such a shame.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sweetkiss said:

ill be honest, i went to watch Terrell show hoping for something from normani

and she said this about the guy liking take my time 

"im happy for you".  that was so condensending it drew me off of dopamine even though i initially liked it

dude promoted her album harder than her. such a shame.

yeah, I feel like it can be a turn off for both the people who never heard those songs (and might be less likely to want to hear) and to people who like the songs that she doesn't seem to like that much...

but personally I'm trying to ignore that and I'm still streaming. her favorite song on the album is my least favorite so I can't care that much about her opinions on the album:rip:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lipes said:

It's a crazy thing to say after all the 

this is my first album and I want to make sure it all just right.

does that mean she gave up?

• Like 1

As an introvert myself, I relate to Mani. She wasn't being condescending towards Terrell at all. That's a misread. She didn't bash the album as a whole. There was a lot more interesting things to take away from both of those videos. The fact that she's treading lightly about behind the scene issues should be a clear indicator of her not wanting to put her foot in her mouth. As parroted a lot on this site, "this is a music business". Given the fact that her last management screwed her over in many ways behind the scenes, it's best that she doesn't continue to burn bridges and speak out of turn too early. She's already said she could write a book about her experiences and I'm sure she will once in the position to do so.

My biggest takeaway out of all these recent interviews is how grateful she is about finally getting this project out and how loved she is by her family, friends, and now Lydia. It's great that she has this support system. She really needed to hear those words of affirmation from Terrell at the end of the interview because Normani is way too hard on herself.  

And she's right about TMT btw. :gaycat5:

• Like 7

I'm sorry but now I understand why artist act like it's their best album when they release something. 

The self-doubt and/or negativity is really off-putting. 

It was so awkward when he told her Take My Time was his favorite and he began to wonder if he said something wrong. Yikes. 

Edited by TryMe

no shade but her not liking take my time, the most generic sounding song on this album, should not be warranting all this uproar :skull: 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Supervillain said:

I wish she was lashing Tantrums instead, the only track I don't use from this album :zzz:

Tantrums is actually her favourite song on the album funny enough 💀 

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2024 at 10:11 AM, 2ne1k said:

current ranking

1 tantrums
2 little secrets
3 take my time
4 all yours
5 big boy
6 lights on
7 insomnia
8 wild side
9 1:59
10 distance
11 candy paint
12 still
13 grip

my ranking after week 2

1 tantrums (=)
2 lights on (+4)
3 distance (+7)
4 big boy (+1)
5 all yours (-1)
6 1:59 (+3)
7 insomnia (=)
8 take my time (-5)
9 candy paint (+2)
10 little secrets (-8)
11 wild side (-3)
12 grip (+1)
13 still (-1)

I love this album so much. I hope more people start to give it a chance

And I know she's not feeling Take My Time but I think that one could be a decent hit for her

Edited by Mezter
  • Like 1

For the fans who thought we were getting a visual album…. How are y'all feeling now?:celestial5:

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Cap87 said:

Hopefully she's performing at the BET awards tonight.

She is? I think she was announced? 

3 minutes ago, stephen1108 said:

But new promos don't mention her and she wasn't in some press releases.

22 minutes ago, nooniebao said:

But new promos don't mention her and she wasn't in some press releases.

We will have to wait until the show

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.